My R32 GTR pics - Page 7 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Skyline / Stagea Projects
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

Like Tree118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th October 2010, 09:35 AM   #121 (permalink)
tarmac terror is Wondering why it says 'New User' below.....*confused*
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
T04Z GTR - there you go... they're just pop-riveted on.

Ideally I would have fitted the catch behind the panel but I only had short Dzus fastners lying around. I might change them for longer ones if I have any issues with them.

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 01:09 PM   #122 (permalink)
T04Z GTR is Is ZZzz's..!!
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Exellent, yes a picture is a thousand words isnt it...lol

Pritty handy really, yes i see what you mean about using longer one's & postioning the clip behind the panel so that the deuz fastner would actuley fit thought the panel to the clip at the back... But im sure your way will work just fine as they get a fare grip anyway...

Top work man...

Si...
Old 8th November 2010, 11:35 AM   #123 (permalink)
New Users

Cars owned: Genuine R32 GTR; Genuine-ish X5 4.8iS; Completely fake BMW M6; Reasonably Genuine Peugeot 306 Rallye
Nothing major happening at present but have managed to get myself a Race-Technology DASH2 for a decent price.....

Unfortunately R-T dont do a comms kit for the Apexi PFC so I'll either have to wire it in separately or keep it aside until I can get a compatable ECU (which was on the cards anyway!!)

Just ned to get some time put aside to finish the extinguisher install and the other things on the list......

If anyone has a spare 4mm+ polycarbonate back screen for an R32 going cheapish then pleaselet me know....

TT

TT
R32GTR- Stage 6; Frank Baxter exhaust with K-pipe; Rick Astley cams; Dave Gahan electrics; Bjorn Ulvaeus race prep; Howard Jones gearbox upgrade; Ray Charles body mods and styling. Mapped by Glenn Medeiros.------> Beat that R35 owners with dodgy parts list sigs :)

Old 20th November 2010, 05:08 PM   #124 (permalink)
New Users

Been cracking on with a few bits and pieces...seems a never-ending list of small stuff on get on with :\

Welded holes that were left in floor. At least its all sealed now Will give them a paint soon to stop them rusting..

Finally got round to securing the fibreglass binnacle to the rest of the dash. It realy looks SO much better than the std item especially as it doesnt have the switches on it...

which is about time as its been waggling about for ages and just asking to be broken (which it thankfully hasnt!!)
You will notice the black fibregalss mounting I made on the left of the pic to take the switches etc. Its just the hazard I have in at the moment, primarily because it has a quick-connect fitting. All the others are done but as I'm still in and out with the dash its best to wait before fitting them.

Both the electrical master and extinguisher firing button are now attached with some tasty Deutsch DT series connectors.....I just LOVE these..

Fitted the Lifeline control pack just behind the G-sensor as you can see below...

The extinguisher's now all wired in...just need some more 10mm tubing to finish the plumbing!!. Bottle has been mounted on the platform for the rear seat, on the passengers side....

I had toyed with the idea of mounting it in the passengers footwell but I had the thought that IF I was carrying a passenger, it would likely get kicked to bits AND the GTR's pretty front biased as it is weight-wise so it'd probably be better to mount it aft of centre. At least this way it keeps it out of harms way.

Also spent some time taking a mould of my ols std bootlid..

I'm going to make up some carbon or fibreglass spares . Original bootlid will be up for sale soon in the appropriate section in due course......

Also, I've been busy designing a brace or the rear spoiler as I'm not convinced that the carbon lid is man for the job. Second reason is that I want some mechanism whereby any downforce produced will act DIRECTLY onto the chassis of the vehicle and not be soaked up by a flexing bootlid etc. Adam Kindness posted a lic up of the brace he installed on Fee's R32.....

There is a bit more metal there than I would like to use but essentially its the same idea. The brace will bolt to the floor and carry a plate on top. The bootlid will sit on the plate and be secured by pins. I am going for more of a A-frame style made up from 30x30mm box section. You might think that the carbon bootlid then was a waste of time as the savings are negated by the brace...well...not really the case as I was never happy with the flexing of the std bootlid anyway and would have braced that also..

So, more to do..maybe tomorrow

TT
Old 8th December 2010, 07:29 PM   #125 (permalink)
New Users

Finally got around to fabricating and fitting the spoiler brace I'd designed (all done properly on isometric paper too ).. Not the best pic quality but my phone doesnt like anything less than bright conditions....

I cut out a small bit of the boot floor on either side so I could place the brace mounts directly on the chassis rails...

Hopefully this will have the effect of transferring any downforce component directly to where it needs to be...
Made the brace from 30x30mm box section and some 3mm plate so its nice and sturdy without being overly weighty. The fact that I stood on the thing when I finished installing it is testament to how much load it can take .

Next job for the weekend is to remove the std clutch line and damper gubbins and replace with either a direct bit of copper pipe or go to Pirtek and get a braided line made up...

TT
Old 8th December 2010, 08:53 PM   #126 (permalink)
fourtoes is milk monitor
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
AWESOME!!!!!

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on Facebook ZEALOU5 turning cars into heroes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ZEALOU5

Please Whatsapp me on 07970699470.
(^^^best way to get in touch tbh^^^).
Mobile: 07970699470

Email:
fourtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 10:27 PM   #127 (permalink)
New Users

Thanks Bob ..
I shall try and get some better pics up soon.

TT
Old 9th December 2010, 11:21 AM   #128 (permalink)
SmigzyGTR is eating Lambo's in his 588bhp/ton Honda :)
New Users

Cars owned: R33 GTR, 500hp K20 EG6 Turbo
Looks ****in awesome matey!!

Nice work!
Old 9th December 2010, 09:18 PM   #129 (permalink)
New Users

I will try and get some proper pics up tomorrow...
The brace is actually a hell of a lot sturdier than I hoped for and weighs (using the good old right arm method) not a great deal either. Just need to give the 4 pins on the extremities of the lid a tweak and it should be a simple operation to remove/replace. Again, I bought the carbon lid with the Aerocatches preinstalled. Not where I would have had them personally but hey, you can only work with what you have!
Going to lay up a 2 ply carbon lid and perhaps put the carbon one thats on it up for sale once I've plugged up the holes. Dont get me wrong, its a nice lid but having 6 fixings might be a bit overkill ..

TT
Old 5th January 2011, 08:26 AM   #130 (permalink)
Bellis_GTR is a broke bloke

Cars owned: The one that started it all...R32 GT-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
I will try and get some proper pics up tomorrow...
The brace is actually a hell of a lot sturdier than I hoped for and weighs (using the good old right arm method) not a great deal either. Just need to give the 4 pins on the extremities of the lid a tweak and it should be a simple operation to remove/replace. Again, I bought the carbon lid with the Aerocatches preinstalled. Not where I would have had them personally but hey, you can only work with what you have!
Going to lay up a 2 ply carbon lid and perhaps put the carbon one thats on it up for sale once I've plugged up the holes. Dont get me wrong, its a nice lid but having 6 fixings might be a bit overkill ..

TT
new years update?
Old 5th January 2011, 09:42 AM   #131 (permalink)
New Users

Well....
Been away up in Scotland since 19th Dec and got back yesterday so not been anything happening on the car font physically. However I am now in posession of some SuperPro steering rack bushes which will be getting fitted at the weekend. Firewall has been removed to allow the cage fitters easier access and will be tweaked and refitted when cage is in (whenever that may be ). Also picked up a Race Technology DL1 data logger which will attach to my Dash 2 display. Should be a nice bit of kit when its all installed!!
Odd thing happend before xmas break though.....car had been starting fine on the new push-button start switch I had installed and had been giving me NO problems at all. I decided to turn the car around so that it was nose-in in the garage. Easiest way would be to start the car, drive it out and turn it in the drive....
Turned the car over and it would spin away happily but would not fire up. Checked the usual suspects only to find that it had munched 3 fuses!! I replaced the fuses but when I tried to energise the electrical system (via my Cartek isolator) it wouldnt let me do it and showed a fault (short) somewhere in the electrical system!! How bizarre!!!

I have now returned from holiday and will try and resolve this over the coming weekend. The only things I have done since the car worked fine have been rewiring the Skylab TSC, welding floor in drivers footwell and plumbing in the fire extinguisher. Logic would dictate that in carrying out one of these jobs I have managed to damage some wiring and cause the problem. It was working fine prior to doing these....
Worryingly, one of the munched fuses was for the ECU but I'm hopeful that the fuse protected the circuit. If not................then I'm going to be really unhappy.
Fingers crossed though!!

TT
Old 5th January 2011, 09:50 AM   #132 (permalink)
Sub Boy is a nana driver

Hi, Can you give me the part number for the super pro steering bushes?
Old 5th January 2011, 02:59 PM   #133 (permalink)
New Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Boy View Post
Hi, Can you give me the part number for the super pro steering bushes?
SPF2681K for GTR.

TT
Old 5th January 2011, 08:54 PM   #134 (permalink)
Sub Boy is a nana driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac terror View Post
SPF2681K for GTR.

TT
Old 9th January 2011, 10:29 AM   #135 (permalink)
New Users

Was out yesterday in the garage doing some bits and bobs...

Wiring problem seems to be related to fuse #19 (tail lights). After removing the fuse the Cartek allowed me to start the car. Unfortunately it would spin around but wouldnt fire. I'm suspecting that the plugs are maybe fouled from the last time I attempted to start the thing. On a plus point, I connected the commander to the PFC and monitored the settings etc. All seemed fine...I reckon that if the ECU was fried then it wouldnt show anything on the commander.

Moving on from that I changed the std rack bushes for the SuperPro ones I sourced. Std bushes were garbage and the new ones are vastly less compliant. Changed them without removing rack so didnt take too long...

Nice fit and not too difficult to change.

Still need to get to the bottom of this non-starting problem though....when I get time during the week I will go through the usual diagnostic procedures and hopefully get to the bottom of it..

TT
Old 16th January 2011, 11:23 PM   #136 (permalink)
New Users

Went to the Autosport show at NEC on Sat past and picked up a couple of goodies..

Firstly..

Bias box (balance bar out of shot!) . Its the lighter weight verision from Compbrake and should fit quite nicely where the old master and servo are at present. Just need to get a couple of bottles, lines and a dash adjuster and its ready to fit!! Well chuffed at the saving I made there...
On the brake front I had a chat with the folks at Hi-Spec motorsport who were singing the praises of their top-end 6pot which the chap reckoned would easily meet my needs. TBH, the caliper looked very well made, light, stainless pistons and bridging on the outer face for support. At around £300 a pop I reckon this would do the job as the intention is sprint-type events rather than endurance/high lap count stuff... anyway, still to decide.

Also bought myself a 3 layer FIA suit from the lovely folks at AWS racewear. Visited their stand last year and kicked myself for not buying then. Turned out for the best in the long run as the car didnt do anything last year anyway. Suit is tremendous and now means I have a full compliment of gear... boots/gloves/undies/lid/suit/balaclava ;chuckle:
Might be overkill for the moment but as I say " I'd rather spend the money on safety and NOT need it, than wish I HAD it when I needed it". Hence my insistence on a full cage before hitting the track.

Been busy today doing other things so no car action this weekend unfortunately. Should see some progress being made midweek though!!.

TT
Old 22nd January 2011, 08:57 PM   #137 (permalink)
New Users

Finally had the time today to do a bit of work on the bias box...

Managed to clear out the servo, master cylinder and vacuum reservoir....

Nice big space there

The Compbrake universal bias box that I bought comes with a clevis. By removing the original clevis from the brake pedal and inserting an appropriate length of threaded rod its pretty simple to form the link...

Unfortunately the problem I faced was that in order to re-secure the pedal to the bulhead I would have to use bolts with the heads on the bulkhead side. What I will do is get a 6mm thick bit of aluminium and use it as a spacer with which to mount the box....difficult to explain but when I get the alloy plate a pic will explain what I mean.
Hopefully I will be able to screw the fluid reservoirs directly onto the master cylinders but there IS a potential issue due to the proximity of the inner wing. Once the reservoirs are delivered I will beable to make a more informed judgement. While I do love the look of remote reservoirs ala Gp4 Escort style...

I'd prefer them to be attached directly in this case...

The box is great and WAY lighter than the combined servo/cylinder assy...I'm WELL pleased about that.
Still, I HAD intended to swap some wiring looms back to standard just to see if this will solve my non-starting issue but time got the better of me. I'll likely get round to this either tomorrow or midweek.

Unfortunately its seems, at the moment, that I'm always going back and re-doing jobs I have done. Its probably the perfectionist in me although at this rate I think the perfectionist is going to have to stand back for a bit or I'm NEVER going to get this bleedin' car finished...Hmm, maybe 'finished' is not the best word choice..perhaps more of an 'adequately prepped to hit the track'. To get to 'finished' is going to take a mighty long time, especially given the length of the wish list and the cost of some of the bits and bobs on it

Still, were getting there (slowly). I cant wait to get back to shifts in June (6 on,4 off) as this mon-fri 9-5 is really hampering my garage time

Anyway, enough for now..maybe more tomorrow..

TT
Old 2nd February 2011, 07:59 PM   #138 (permalink)
New Users

OK, maybe not tomorrow
However, made up the spacer for the bias box as mentioned above...

on which the bias box is now mounted...

The clevis is now properly adjusted and connected to the pedal. Unfortunately the reservoirs for the left cylinder contacts with the inner wing so I'm going to have to mount them remotely after all....not a biggie but not the way I would have wanted it. Still, if I ever have to swap out master cylinders at any stage I might buy the integral reservoir type.
So, just need to do the plumbing and Bobs your uncle . Not really having much time to play with as I'm in the middle of a bloomin' distance-learning course but doing what I can, when I can..

TT
Old 22nd February 2011, 02:26 PM   #139 (permalink)
yohoRB26 is unaware they can edit their status

i switched to MAP sensor and feel it runs much better
Old 5th March 2011, 06:30 PM   #140 (permalink)
New Users

Well, managed to swap out the front cabin loom (the one that contains the fusebox and runs underneath the windscreen) for a standard one today as well as swap out the HKS iridiumplugs for a new set of NGK BKR8EIX iridiums. Now I KNOW I should have tried to start it after I swapped out the plugs, which was the first job, to see if that made a difference. I didnt, so I dont know if it was plugs or loom. I suspect that because I was having an issue with fuses blowing its fair to assume it was indded the loom causing problems.

Bottom line is..THE CAR NOW STARTS again!!!!!!

The std downpipe is now with a certain well-known exhaust manufacturer and I'm awaiting a price for a custom stainless twin 3" into single 4" with integral decat. I shall report back with findings in case anyone else is interested. The rough price I was quoted, if its anywhere near the actual price, might interest a LOT of folks who just dont want to pay silly prices for japanese aftermarket downpipes.

So, I am now looking to finish of a couple of small jobs and get a rear polycarb screen ordered and that will be it reasonably ready to do something with. I reckon I will do a couple of track days minus cage first and see how it goes. I still want the full weld-in cage but I think that by the time I get round to getting it done, yet another year will have passed. I'd rather drive at 75% for this year and then, get the cage done and drive a bit more balls out or indeed, compete in it..which is the ultimate plan.

TT