GTR Forum banner

My R32 GTR pics

307K views 854 replies 142 participants last post by  GT-R David 
#1 ·
Thought it was about time I posted some pics of my GTR. Had it now for around 6 months so you could say I've been a bit lazy in the pic department :chuckle: :chuckle: .
Anyway, here goes....

Not very arty-fart but gives you the jist of how it looks. As you can see, I've removed the 'Skyline anniversary' sticker off the boot lid to make it look a bit cleaner
As far as the exterior goes, I only intend to add a Nismo boot lip and that will be it as I love the look of an R32 with N1 body 'kit'.

No underbonnet shots yet i'm afraid as I thought id wait until I get my Tomei Fuel rail and braided hoses fitted which will tart things up a bit :chuckle:

TT

See less See more
#245 ·
Need to wait a few months Bob but it WILL be happening. I had my eye on a Magneti Marelli SRTE race ECU which was a really amazing bit of kit but there were issues on the support side that killed it off....
Never mind....

Will be selling my PFC and Nismo flow meters VERY soon just to give you all a heads up if theres interest. Going to wait until my fuel systems all installed and plumbed.

TT

#246 ·
Bit the bullet and decided to take the opportunity to remove ALL the std fuel system i.e. tank, filler and lines.

Theres just SO much space when the tanks gone :chuckle:

Jaz 12 Gallon cell is on its way (currently residing in UK customs!) which I'll be housing in a modified boot floor. This will feed twin Bosch 044's through a pair of Sytec bullet filters. 1/2" aluminium hardline will take fuel up to the front chassis rail and then connect to braided lines which will connect to each side of fuel rail. My new Aeromotive 13101 FPR will take care of the pressure and return fuel via 1/2" hardline back to the tank.
I'm sooo excited about getting this all sorted out!!!

TT

#248 ·
we fitted a 12gal JAZ tank to our R32 GTR.

Originally we didnt fit a swirl pot due to the sump in the tank and the foam inside BUT then realised that the 044's dont 'pull' fuel through.

I was advised of this but thought I knew best LOL - you heard the pumps running dry when braking.

So... now we have twin 044's fed by two inline feeder pumps and from memory we have a swirl pot too. Cant honestly remember which car has what now!!!

#249 ·
Thats very interesting Adam as I distinctly remember on a fuel related thread ages ago that I was advised that I wouldnt need a lifter pump/swirl pot system running a tank like this.....seems I might have to rethink that!!!

What did you use as feeders and how did you wire them all?? I.e. separately/2+2/all 4 together??

TT

#251 ·
I have one low pressure pump movin the fuel from the tank to the swirl pot, then from there I have a 044 being the high pressure pump sending fuel to the rail.

I'm not sure how I'm gonna wire them yet tho. I think it would be clean and simple if they were both wired to one switch/relay/fuse then right to the battery.

#254 · (Edited)
Well, went and ordered a pair of Facet Red Top pumps. Figure that they should be more than up to the job of supplying fuel to the pot!

isn't 1/2" return line a little over kill?
Perhaps but it doesnt hurt to lessen the restriction on the unused fuel getting back to the pot. Supply from pumps to rail is via 2 x 1/2"(-8AN) hardline pipes so I'm thinking that anything LESS than a single -8 return isnt good design philosophy..

As an aside, I'm having the mother of all dilemmas in the ECU choosing department. Must have gone over this 1000 times already but its looking like the Syvecs S6 that I had set my sights on MAY not have enough inputs for all the additional sensors I want to add to the engine/chassis. I might end up having to go S8 but that in itself opens up a whole can of worms as there are a good few ECU's which are highly capable in that particular price range!!!!

My head hurts thinking about it all.......:bawling:

TT

#255 · (Edited)
Been busy buying stuff lately.....

Among other things there are:-
A pair of Facet Red top lift pumps
A pair of fuel check valves
A pair of Moonface Superlap tie rod ends (track rod ends to you and me!!)
Some AN-8 fittings
an EGT sensor and adapter
and a JAZ 12 Gallon cell...

Regular readers :chuckle: will know that I bought a set of Moonface tie rods and attempted fo fit these to my std tie rod ends......resulted in a big fail and the need to buy the correct tie rod ends. Thes are by far THE most expensive track rod ends I have seen IN MY LIFE!!!.
Here is what £450 's worth of Superlap tie rod and tie rod ends looks like :nervous:. Price aside they ARE awesome...VERY robustly made and like night and day compared to the standard GTR items... You cant really tell from the pics but the Moonface stuff is FAR superior and feels heftier.

Fitted the N/S first..

dead easy job. I elected not to reuse the locking tabs for the tie rods and just threadlocked them instead. Cant see them being a bother in the future. After doing both and having replaced the lower balljoints a couple of weeks ago, a trial turn of the wheel (with both wheels in the air of course :p) showed that there was ZERO play in the steering system. I'm sure that the solid steering coupling also has a part to play in that. Its just a shame there's no quick rack for the GTR or I would have that as well :mad: The O/S tie rod was really badly worn and I'm not too happy with myself that I didnt spot it :chairshot (thanks Charlie at Abbey :thumbsup: ).
Speaking of the rack, I noticed that the power steering pipes and fittings are in a bit of a state so I reckon I will probably replace them with hardline when I'm doing the fuel system.
Also had the time to fit an EGT sensor in place of the rear O2 sensor...

I'm just fitting the one and will be plugging up the front O2 hole. The sensor itself has a 1/8npt thread so I had to buy an adaptor fitting which was only a couple of quid on Ebay. Both went together well and the sensor will provide a reading directly to the ECU....*sigh*..the ECU!!!!:chairshot. I'm really having a hard time trying to get to grips with this particular challenge. I thought I had it squared away in terms of what I would buy but the goalposts have changed a bit. Syvecs S6 is looking like it will be short of inputs so I'm now stuck between S8 and Motec M800. Not an easy call as their both very capable units. I need to be 100% clear on what I want the ECU to do and what my ultimate endgame is with the spec of the car. I want to buy 1 ECU which will last the life of the car and take whatever upgrades I throw at the car i.e. paddleshift sequential box etc...

Its NOT an easy call to make :bawling::bawling:. More time spent pouring over the spec's methinks!!! :nervous:

Had intended to fabricate a new boot floor this weekend to take the fuel cell and lift pumps but my local metal supplier was all out of 1.2mm sheetmetal so it looks like I'll have to wait until Monday for the next delivery.

TT

#257 ·
Hi Ryan. Yes, I got your reply :thumbsup:. I was informed of the expander and it sounds very exciting!! TBH, I'm seriously considering the S8 also although it might be a touch too much. However, as I said above, I'd rather buy an ECU once and be done with it and if that happens to cost more then so be it!. What I DONT want is to be forced to change in 5,6,7 yrs time for some reason e.g. running out of in/outputs or the ECU not supporting a feature such as paddleshift sequential box....
Since were on the subject, are there any issues with the S6 only having 1 knock input against the RB26's 2 sensors?? Obviously just the 1 is hooked up but have there been any problems encountered regarding this on GTR's running S6's??

TT

#258 ·
So, I got my 4ltr swirl pot delivered yesterday and I decided to do a mock up of the install just to see if there were any glaring issues...

Other than the pumps being slightly too wide in the holder its all good. I did a bit of modification to the hole centres and brought them a bit closer together and all is good. I will be mounting the lot in the pic onto a sturdy bit of plywood (NOT the red bit in the pic LOL) with appropriate spacing blocks under both the tank and filters so everything is on a solid base and not hanging around....
Off to get some 1.2mm sheet metal on friday so will hopefully get around to modifying the boot floor and installing the cell in its own casing over the weekend!

TT

#259 ·
I would be worried about the lack of flexibility between all these units. No flex will cause vibration and possible cracking. I would try to run some pipe between the filters and pipes to stop vibration.

See you running one way valves in the feed lines , presuming to stop any feedback if a pump fails.

#260 ·
Hi Mark, I would agree with you regarding the inflexibility of the system hence the reason for mounting it all onto an 18mm bit of ply :). The way I see it is that with the ply being so substantial, there will be no localised movement of ANY part of the system.....The hope is that the ply will have some natural vibration resistance....
I HAD toyed with the idea of using some hose but my main aim was to try and reduce the amount of joints (failure points) as far as possible.

Yeah, running check valves on both pumps. Thought it was a sensible precaution for the money :D

TT

#262 ·
:chuckle: Plywood it still very much alive in motorsport Mark. I was reading a book the other day and was amazed by some of the things folks still make from ply. I'll give the alloy some thought :bowdown1:

TT

#265 ·
Having thought about it I have decided to go with the recommendation and put some hose between catchtank and filters. Ordered some hose and fittings so all is good...

Also feeling bored earlier and knocked up some MAF delete pipes...

Needed to be done at some point so rather than wait, I bit the bullet and got it done!!
Still waiting on local metal supplier to get some 1.2mm sheet in...once I have it, its full steam ahead with the boot floor fabrication and fuel system install..

TT

#266 ·
Got to work over the weekend and attacked the boot floor.....

At long last my metal supplier came good and I bought a couple of 1sqM sheets of 1.2mm mild steel. One to weld into the hole to make the boot floor completely flat, the other to make a box to hold the fuel cell and lift pumps. I intend to fold the metal rather than weld panels together. I reckon if I'm smart with the folder it should all work out OK. Got some 30x30 box section coming as well which I'm going to weld across the rear of the chassis rails for extra support.

I think this is going to all work out really well. Weight-wise I dont think there's loads in it.....the new setup is probably a wee bit lighter but if nothing else makes it tidier and more simplified in the rear. Good opportunity to mount the cell a bit further forward which can only be a good thing for mass distribution!!

TT

#267 ·
Been out in the garage all day and managed to get the boot floor plated and partly welded which I was pleased at.
Also measured and made a cradle for the fuel cell to sit in....

This will contain the cell and the two Red Top lift pumps. Obviously need to cut out a bit of the bottom to accomodate the sump but thats not a hassle. Similarly, because of the fact that the Facet pumps have the filter service ports at the 'bottom', I'm going to have to provide a service hatch for each so changing filters doesnt necessetate the removal of the pumps. Cheers Facet!!!!

TT

#268 ·
Been buying some more parts for the collection!!! Now have a Tomei sump baffle which will be fitted to my spare sump with the 4.3 CWP. A pair of new front inner balljoints were fitted today so now EVERYTHING has been changed on the front suspension other than the anti roll bar links which will be getting replaced with some adjustable rose-jointed ones.

I've managed to secure a Ross Tuffbond RACE MJ damper which I've wanted for AGES!! Will help facilitate the move to dry sump at a later date as Ross do a neat little dry sump pump drive which will bolt straight on.

Been having some issues with the mounting of the Facet lift pumps in my little container I made. Seems the fittings I want to use are too long when used with the 1/4NPT to -8AN adapters fitted to the pumps. I've now sourced some 1/4 NPT 1/2" barbs which should solve the problem (easier seen than explained!)

I'll be taking more pics soon so stay tuned!

TT

#270 ·
So, been on holiday recently and thought I'd better crack on with all things garage-related..

Been busy making enhancements to the fuel cell cradle (above) so that it will actually do the job! FIrstly I decided that, instead of cutting and fabricating a sump in the cradle to mirror the sump in the fuel cell, I would sit the cell in the cradle as-is with an appropriately sized spacer under the rear of the cell. This means that the cell is level and theres no added hassle of extra fabrication.
Needed some retaining sraps so bought some 25mm wide x 3mm thick mild steel strip which I bent into shape and attached at the rear with small hinges to allow for the removal of the cell if needs be. Also made 2 'service hatches' in the bottom rear corners of the cradle to allow for removal of the filters in the lift pumps (mentioned above). All-in-all, its come out really well and I'm well pleased. The pics below show it sitting in the hole in the floor...obviously the next step is to weld it in properly and then install lift pumps and the rest of the boot mounted fuel gear....

2 shots from the top showing the cradle in place.

Shot from underneath

Shot from underneath showing service hatches open

Shot from top showing service hatches open

Shots with fuel cell in place.

Cant wait to get it welded in (tomorrow hopefully) and get the cell and lift pumps mounted permanently... Bought a 37degree flaring tool so will be buying some 1/2" aluminium hardline and AN flare ends and making up the 2 rear-front feed pipes and the return line.

All is good in the world....well, garage, at least!! :chuckle:

TT

#271 ·
maybe a daft question but wouldnt it have been simpler to mount the tank the other way? so outlets facing fwd? less pipe etc.

I mounted mine that way (same way as you) because it needed the sump at the rear end to clear the subframe /chassis rail BUT yours looks to mounted a fair bit more inboard allowing more space

#273 · (Edited)
Sump or no sump, id rather have the outlets at the rear...after all, under acceleration (and full power) id rather have all the fuel collecting rearwards towards the outlets than covering them with fuel under braking when it doesnt really matter. The laws of physics say that mass (and therefore liquid) transfers in the opposite direction to an accelerative force so im happy with the outlets being rear facing.
The extra piping (which will be very minimal) isnt significant in my opinion...

TT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.