GTR Forum banner

My R32 GTR pics

307K views 854 replies 142 participants last post by  GT-R David 
#1 ·
Thought it was about time I posted some pics of my GTR. Had it now for around 6 months so you could say I've been a bit lazy in the pic department :chuckle: :chuckle: .
Anyway, here goes....

Not very arty-fart but gives you the jist of how it looks. As you can see, I've removed the 'Skyline anniversary' sticker off the boot lid to make it look a bit cleaner
As far as the exterior goes, I only intend to add a Nismo boot lip and that will be it as I love the look of an R32 with N1 body 'kit'.

No underbonnet shots yet i'm afraid as I thought id wait until I get my Tomei Fuel rail and braided hoses fitted which will tart things up a bit :chuckle:

TT

See less See more
#567 · (Edited)
In the last pic you can just make out the original (although shortened) PAS reservoir to the right of the rad. I used the original fittings then as it really didnt move much really. I have now ordered a new one from US with AN fittings....(Ebay, £25 :chuckle:)

and will remove the original and mount the new one in much the same place. At the same time, I will renew some of the hoses and pipes as they have seen better days :)

TT

Reactions: FRRACER
#568 ·
Today was a bit slow TBH and raised issues which need addressing in the form of buying stuff (more of later...)

Got started by drilling the mounting holes for PDM in the passengers footwell. Then, removed the downpipe as I needed to get access to the area above it in order to apply the DEI gold reflective foil stuff. Used a bit of acetone to clean the area prior to applying it to get rid of most of the contaminants. So, after a while it looked thus....

OK, so there are a couple of void areas but I can live with them. The foil went on really easily and the adhesive seems to hold well. Time will tell....

Placed PDM in position.....

Will be mounting the ECU to the left of it also on a heatsink so have left plenty room.

After taking the downpipe off I discovered that I needed new gaskets despite the car running for a combined total of about a minute since the downpipe was fitted. Ordered them...
Then, having seen a small gap between PDM and heatsink, decided to get some thermal interface pad to eliminate said gap for better heat transfer. Ordered that....
Finally, after admiring gold foil I thought about how I would secure PDM. Clearly nylocks were out due to the proximity of downpipe! Spring washers were also out due to the undulating nature of the bulkhead and having the foil there (didn't want to tear it!) so I went with some philidas locking nuts. Basically these have non parallel threads and grip the thread so it doesn't vibrate loose. Ordered these too....

Still waiting on my new PAS reservoir and some small roof vortex generators I fancied :).

So, while waiting on these to arrive there's not a great deal to be getting on with....

TT

#570 ·
Not too bad really. There's a few different types but went for some 100mmx100mm 6.0W/mk 2mm thick pad. Came to £16 which I thought was pretty good TBH.
I have a lot of thermal paste to hand as I'm a bit of a PC modder but the gap is a bit too big for paste IMHO hence my going for pad instead.

I'm not counting on the PDM having much of a heat issue but the use of the gold foil, heatsink and thermal pad should stop anything happening before it starts.

Well, that's the plan :)....

TT

Reactions: Max Boost
#571 ·
Tackled another one of those unimportant but niggly jobs....

Since I converted over to single wiper I've never been impressed by the throw of the blade. So, in a fit of boredom, I removed the crank on the wiper motor. I then cut it on a flat and introduced a 5mm piece of similar gauge metal. Bit of welding later...

Much better....:D

Also, got my 6 roof top vortex generators in the post...

Was going to fire them on using MKI eyeball but thought better of it. Will enlist the assistance of my mate and use some string to get the correct orientation of them on the roof.

Hopefully should get some other goodies through the post tomorrow!!!

TT

#572 · (Edited)
Not really been LOADS happening TBH...

Spent a couple of hours hacking away at the insides of the drivers side dashboard to take out a lot of the inner framework which is no longer required. Also removed the original bonnet release mounting which protrudes a fair bit into the drivers leg area. Got rid of this too.

Also got to fitting the roof vortex generators and after a LOT of measuring and re-measuring, got them how I wanted them..

Look pretty good. Hopefully they will do some good.....

The more I think about aero's, the more I come back to the idea of designing a decent, functional (!) diffuser for the back end.....

TT

#573 · (Edited)
More goodness in the form of a new PAS reservoir......

Removed the old one, which the avid followers will know was a cut-down version of the original and was welded to the front panel :). Got it off without much PS fluid going everywhere....(I HATE the smell of Dexron oil and it NEVER seems to mop up properly with paper towel!!). Removed the N/S light for a bit more room and made a decision on where it was to be mounted.
Got to sorting out the mounting and with a bit of lathework (had to make a 30mm spacer which you can see between mount and front panel) got it all sorted...

Will wait until I have the fittings etc before I fix the tank to the mount with hoseclips most probably..

Was contemplating replacing all the hoses and pipes for PAS but TBH, most are OK. Will just end up replacing the res-pump hose and a bit of the return line.

Oh, and while I was at it, I sorted out the oil lines to the cooler...OK, not a biggie but one of these things that because I know it's there, will bug me until I sort it......

Before (1 line under the front panel crossmember bit..and the other routed in front of the fan as seen)

Now, both lines run hidden in the channel....

Sounds simple but entailed removing the whole line, buying a 60deg fitting, threading the hose through (tight, but not too tight to deform hose!) and then fitting the fitting (!) on the car.

Much neater and OCD is satisfied....:chuckle:

TT

#575 ·
Got it off Ebay from HERE

Seems I got the last one though.....:)

There was another place I found that did a res with dash fittings but I can't recall who it was. Should be easy enough to find though if you're committed...:chuckle:

TT

#578 ·
Finally got the PAS reservoir fully plumbed in courtesy of a -6AN fitting and some Aeroquip push on hose that I just happen to pick up at a mate's last night!!

Looks good and is a bit more 'user friendly' than the previous res.

Went to sort out the reverse switch wiring (as it'll need fiddling with for use with PDM) and ended up removing the std speedo cable, now unnecessary since I'm using a Dash 2 with speed data from wheel speed sensors via ECU and possibly cross-checked using the Syvecs GPS/G-sensor module.
Made up an aluminium plate to cover the hole left by the speedo drive as it has an integrated plate..

Then, after cutting out a bit of 1mm gasket paper (I bet half of you didn't even know gasket paper existed!!!:chuckle:), I bolted it in place using the std fixings.....

Now just waiting on some DEI exhaust wrap to do the downpipe and get it back on. Once that's done, I'll really be struggling for jobs to do!!..

TT

#580 ·
I WILL be going single........ Have the 4094r sitting there.

In two minds whether to keep it on the twins for the minute and get the bloody thing running and mapped then after a while convert to single OR..
Just bite the bullet, get a manifold and get it installed prior to mapping.

There's merit in both but TBH, I'm just itching to get the thing running at the minute so erring towards keeping the twins for the minute and changing later. The cost of subsequent remapping isn't an issue so for the sake of quickness, I think that's the best option..

Mind you, I've also been having thoughts of building up a forged RB30 bottom end so who knows WHAT direction things may go :chuckle:

TT

#582 ·
It's running std twins at present. I have still to purchase ECU but will be placing an order most probably this time next month. Very excited!!

Just need to buy a couple of things for PDM install (CAN keypad and Motes UTC adapter) then concentrate on ECU.

TT

#583 ·
So, some of you may have read my post in the 'For Sale' section and will know that I have made the decision to fit my GT4094r single turbo now rather than later. I have been thinking about this for a while and, having sat down and weighed up the pro's and con's, have decided to take the plunge.
I will be placing an order for a Full-Race T4 manifold with twin 44mm wastegate flanges. I will also be ordering a pair of Turbosmart Hypergate 45mm wastegates. Once the turbo is mounted on manifold I will probably trailer the car up to Janspeed to have them make me a custom downpipe to connect to my Tomei Ti decat.

I am still toying with the idea of having the turbo converted to billet compressor wheel but will mull that over for a bit. The turbo has been modified to take a shaft speed sensor and I will have one installed prior to fitting.

So, a bold decision on my part. Looking forward to having a GT4094 equipped GTR in the near future :D

TT

#585 ·
Will be fed into EMS so it can 'see' shaft speed. Will more than likely set a max RPM limit on the turbo as an added protection.

TT

Reactions: border1
#591 ·
The compressor map is your target. If you keep in that then you'll not over speed.
Owen developments re-balanced my old T51r. Their are pump machine for spinning the turbo could only muster 20,000 rpm. I think it ran at about 50,000 rpm tops using their calculations.

#592 ·
That's good to know...

The previous owner had the turbo modified to take a shaft speed sensor so rather than plug it up, I may as well make use of it. My intention is to log as many parameters on the car as possible for analysis purposes, fault finding and future improvement so this was always going to be within scope.

TT

#593 ·
I run my borg Warner shaft speed sensor into my syvecs s6 its a brilliant feature I didn't need no signal convertor or anything the syvecs could read the raw signal. In A case the s6 sees the turbo spinning to high it will lower boost pressures to protect the turbo, whereas the s8 can actually run the shaft speed as a trip. A very quick easy job to wire into syvecs I would reccomend to anyone, I went for a billet wheel on my 4094 and it was a choice i regreted. The 4094 has more compressor wheel than turbine wheel beeing a gt4294 comp wheel fitted to a 4088 turbine wheel. If the billet wheel isn't significantly lighter it will be a waste of money imo Due to having more comp wheel to turbine wheel.

I wouldn't defiantly do a befor and after test so you no if it's actually made any diffrence.

Dan

#594 ·
Thanks for the info there Dan. Interesting what you say about the billet wheel!! I think I'll run the turbo as-is and see how I get on with it before doing anything drastic!

TT

#597 ·
So, got stuck in this afternoon and ended up looking at this......

Made me feel very excited about things to come!!

Took delivery of my DEI exhaust wrap (2"x50ft) and DEI silicone spray...

WAS going to wrap my twin downpipe but since events have transpired, I'll keep it for my forthcoming single downpipe :).

Will be looking to order my manifold and wastegates very soon to get the ball rolling......

TT

#599 · (Edited)
Have decided on a Full Race manifold with twin 44mm wastegate fittings and black 2000deg coating.....

With coating..

Yummy.....

Will be using 2 Turbosmart Hypergate 45mm w/gates. Am in contact with a couple of exhaust fabricators so will have to wait and see re downpipe..

TT

#600 ·
And so it begins......

2 x Hypergate 45's ordered this very morning!!

V excited!!.

Also on this/next months list are:-
1 x Full Race T4 manifold
1 x 15 Button Motec CAN keypad
1 x Motec UTC adapter
1 x Syvecs S8 ECU
1 x Syvecs GPS / G-sensor

Happy days...

TT

#603 ·
As has bee mentioned previously on various threads on here and SAU, boost control is more effective with 2 smaller gate's rather than a larger single.

Besides, 2 are more expensive......:chuckle:

TT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.