GTR Forum banner

Have you changes your OWN turbos

• yes and it wasnt as bad as i thought.

Votes: 133 40.8%
  • yes and i found it a proper pain, never again!

Votes: 33 10.1%
  • not yet but i plan too.

Votes: 97 29.8%
  • No chance, would rather pay someone.

Votes: 63 19.3%

Have you changed your own Turbos?

86K views 187 replies 78 participants last post by  Tam 
#1 · (Edited)
Guys im interested to find how many people have changed there turbos and how hard they found it?

ive just done mine and tbh it wasnt too bad, i found that you just need to be confident in taking as much off as to make your life easier.

the way i think is that its taken me a couple of half days, but has saved me £450 and ive learnt alot more about the RB26, which will help future maintainace

#3 ·
got a set of stocks rebuilt with ballbearings and steel internals for £350:chuckle:

bargain i know.

main reason was that the rear manifold to turbo gasket blew so i needed to take them off to repair that so uprated for some steels while there, also added some R34 elbows

#10 · (Edited)
Turbo`s

I would love to give this a try myself as i have been gathering parts for 9 months now and havent fited them.Removed /refitted my plenum whilst the engine was still in the car and that was a killer so im thinking the turbos will be just as hard...Might give it a go if i can get some help from someone who has did this before to give me a helping hand.

#11 ·
Minifreak, my uglier, smellier little brother, has taken a shit load of photo's

we won't do a "How to" but will do a photo thread to just guide people in the right (we hope) direction.

that'll let you know wether it's within your skill set of not.

i personally, can't change a spark plug lol

mook

#13 ·
I'm definately thinking of doing this myself - I've always liked taking things to bits to "see how they work"! Think I'll need as much help as possible though - those photos would be a real help Mook.

The other thing that would be really helpful would be a list of the "must have" tools - I can just imagine various trips to get something I don't own ending adding hours if not days to the the job! Anyone care to enlighten me?

#14 ·
just done mine, it really isnt that bad of a job, best tip remove rear turbo firrst, i didnt even need to cut a spanner down.
tools needed- 1 good quality socket set with 3 size of rachets bars
1 adjustable knuckle
good set of spanners from 8mm to 19 mm
box of plasters for knuckles
understaning missus

#16 ·
rear first??? nahhhhhhhh front first i did.

anyway, just took her out and no leaks YAYAYAYAYAYAY lol

but i did forget to bleed the water system lol

all good anyway..

pic will be up very soon, as said, if your good enough to take it on the pics is all youll need just to guide you, and help with the reinstallation.

#15 ·
Very good thread

Yeh I remember people saying how much of a PITA the inlet plenum was.

But I didn't find it that bad.

#20 ·
get the front turbo off and out of the way so there is plenty of room for the rear one.

The bastard bolt is the one right at the back which bolts the turbo to the manifold, this is where you need a bent spanner or a cut down one as a normal one hits off the bulkhead and you cant get a socket in.

You can get them off pretty quick, its putting the bastards back on.

#30 ·
Turbos

If anyone in Scotland needs the practice then they are welcome to help me with my turbo replacement which i will be starting in the coming weeks...

#31 ·
carterjohn - quick question - you have axle stands under there but I didn't think you could put them in that area. What part is resting on them? I know theres a bit in the middle with a big X on it and that looks like a jacking/rest point.

has anyone found the bolts or owt holding the turbo on to have snapped at all? I haven't done this to mine yet but prob will when I source a pair of R34tubs but just wondering if any of the bolts holding bits on would snap in the same way some of them do when doing a de-cat pipe fitment?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.