GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum - View Single Post - Nissan employee & VR38 engine details
View Single Post
Old 16th November 2007, 08:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
bonzelite
bonzelite is fair to partly sunny
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post

"Yes it is based on that V8 in the 390".

Sorry, but this is just stupid. In the first phase the cylinder heads, chain drive, water pump and valvetrain were carry over VQ35, and everything else was new...
Based on the R390's V8 or not, that doesn't make it a VQ. My premise is more about VQ-basis ---yes or no. VR prefix is of a prior Nissan V8. Why did they use VR, then?

And a further question, can you then take standard fare VQ35 heads and swap them onto the R35 without consequence?

Quote:
although the water pump was speeded up by reducing the number of teeth on the water pump sprocket from 31 to 29. For the 2nd phase it was again all new and improved (even over the 1st concept engines), with new cylinder heads, etc, but NOTHING from the 390 engine!!! The only carry over parts are valve spring collets, and the water pump from the latest VQ35 engine, but speeded up again.
And that still doesn't make it a VQ-based engine. People have been touting the VR38 to be a derivation of the VQ engine. And I don't believe it is. It's all new, specifically built for the GT-R. I have maintained this from the beginning.

Talk of the VRH, the old engine, did surface a while back. I was asking for confirmation, yes or no, if this was true since that was never mentioned again after the TMS. The VR prefix only ever appears in a V8 engine prior to this new one.

They didn't put a VQ variant into the GT-R, which is the greater point. It is a new engine entirely.

Quote:
Doh! Bank angles for V6 can be between 15 degrees (e.g. VW VR6), to 90 degrees (Rover KV6, Audi V6's etc). 60 degrees is used as this gives the best compromise between balance, package, etc whilst still enabling even firing.
Yes I know that.

But 60 degrees is the best and most commonly used without use of a damper. My point was that a 60 degree bank angle appearing on the VQ, and then on the VR, doesn't make the VR a derivation of the VQ. Nissan would have used a 60-degree angle regardless.

Quote:
The R35 engine did not need to have the same bore spacing, bank stagger etc as the VQ35 engine, but Nissan wanted to carry over the VQ "DNA" as they say. The R35 engine is actually a bed plate design, which is different from the deep skirted block design of the VQ engines, and is a unique engine other than basic geometry.
Yes.

You have great specific information which is what I was asking for in the first place.

The GT-R engine is not based on the VQ. And why they have used a VR code of a prior V8 iteration is still not answered. VR is a V8 prefix.