Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kei Office

Votes: 5 3.2%

Which Coilovers

31K views 77 replies 48 participants last post by  MeisterR 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Which coilovers do you guys use?

TEIN, HKS & K-Sport are popular here in NZ but im interested to know which most other people use. At the moment im looking at some TEIN items but i thought id get some more info

#2 ·
oops, sorry....voted for which ones I LIKE rather than what I have on my car. Didnt read the text on the thread. DOH!!

I have G-Force coil overs on mine. Find them OK. Not what I would have chosen myself, came with the car but I see no reason to change them TBH.

Used to have Bilstein coil overs on my rally car and rate them highly.

TT

#4 ·
I voted for Bilsteins as that is what are on the car now (among other nismo and ARC suspension components) and they are very nice. Firm but don't take the pi** like my old Cusco's on my MR2 they were boneshakin'! As far as i can see on the ramp they look good quality, the fit is good and no signs of any leaks (touch wood). I hear good things about TEIN and they aren't too badly priced here. If i were choosing i would probably go for the TEIN's. Öhlins are supposed to be top for skylines as well.

#5 ·
I've got TEIN HA's on the car now but these are way too firm for my tastes. On the secondary roads in Australia with 18" rims your kindneys cop a punishing :) Just got my hands on some Nismo S-Tunes which should go on this month some time. Hopefully, a smoother ride with a sporty feel, but not bone-jarring.

#9 ·
I replaced my Ohlins Road and Track with TEIN Superstreet as although the Ohlins would be best for the track they were crap for normal B roads - the TEIN Superstreet are a far better set up and give far better road handling.

#12 ·
not HKS or tiawan k-sport stuff - tein is a good budget stuff - even better and still cheap - hotbits if they do it for a skyline

#14 ·
I currently have Nismo S-Tunes.

Very nice road setup, not at all harsh and gives nice feedback. I found the limit of them during the last Izu trip though so I'm thinking of upgrading.

Mine's have a range of shocks based on Ohlins units, giving serious consideration to a set of these at the moment. I'll probably wait until summer is over first and the cool autumn weather arrives.

#15 ·
i've been on the horns of the same dilemma myself

i had some Gaz shocks that were surprisingly good, then replaced them with the nismo s-tunes, which i can't get off the car quick enough

they are very, very competent, and would be perfect for someone who drives with the stereo on as they give a very nice ride that won't make your cd's jump
me, i've ripped out the stereo and i hated them, just plain too soft

so i've gone for Aragostas, and i should be picking the car up soon, so i'll let you know how we get on. they're the same units that are rebadged AST and sold for £800 more, as used by the time attack series winning lichfield impreza. these have replaced the nismo R-tune for the R32, and can be specified with whatever spring rates you require.
i'm going with the old nismo r-tune settings of 9kg front 8kg rear, but i may order a spare set with 7.8kg fr 5.8kg rear (Aragosta's settings), just in case i find that too stiff for my local roads, (depending on price for the springs alone)

the nismo s-tunes were circa 5kg fr, 4kg rear

so for now, i vote Gaz, but i'm awaiting Aragostas

#16 ·
ps teins far worse than nismos, i've got them on the mr-s and the s-tunes on the gtr were clearly much better shocks than they. the teins feel cheap compared to the nismos

#20 ·
agreed

suspension choice is such a subjective issue, what's too stiff for one man might be perfect for another, depending on driving style and local road conditions

i'm in the middle of replacing brand new nismo s-tunes cos they were far too soft for me, but they would be just the ticket for someone who felt their shocks were too hard

#25 · (Edited)
i've replaced my nismo s-tunes with aragostas sprung at 9kg fr 8 kg rear

ohlins used to make the r-tune nismos, but they've been discontinued for the R32 replaced by aragostas sprung to order.
i've gone with the same spring rates used by ohlins/r-tune

the nismo s-tunes were in the region of 4.5kg fr 3.5kg r

what is your driving style?
how often do you change tyres/brake pads?
if the answer is once a year, then nismo s-tunes will be perfect for you, go with the HA variant then you can adjust both ride height and four levels of damping
should cost about a grand, or two thirds the price of most coilovers

#29 · (Edited)
aragosta coilovers

Gavman,

Where did you get your Aragosta coilovers from and how much did they cost? PM if you dont want to state the price on here.

Currently I have Tein HA's on my car but I'm thinking of changing as the spring mounts seem to have correded to the point where i cant adjust the height of the car. Its way too low at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.