Not the fuel pump relay... - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Electronics
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 4th October 2007, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
ShopGTR is in the USA.
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: 95 R33 GTR
Not the fuel pump relay...

Hello all,

My name is Cory, I own Atlantic Motorsports here in the USA. We're mostly and Evo shop, but I was lucky enough to be offered a mint 1995 R33 V-spec that had already been legalized.

So, car has been great. Has twin "disco potato" turbos, FMIC, cams, head studs, SARD fuel pump, Apexi Power FC, BBS rims, interior work...all sorts of nice stuff.

Drove the car for a couple weeks, no issues. Realized the coolant was shot, so I ordered a new rad, lines, thermostat, the whole nine yards.

Planned to park the car, went to pull it into the shop, and it wouldn't start. Just cranked.

I read multiple threads about the fuel pump relay, went to town digging through the car, swapped multiple relays...nothing.

Decided to go for the lamest fix of all. Added 5 gallons of fuel, and surprise surprise....the car fired.

So, to all those thinking there might be a relay issue, be sure to check the fuel level. The gauge showed an 1/8 of a tank, but as mentioned on here, with upgraded pumps, the pickup might not be as low as stock.

My new rule of thunb will be not to run the car less than 1/4 tank.

Well, that's my introduction, and my first post on here. I look forward to sharing pics, knowledge, and our shop tuning experience with the Skyline. We have another here at the shop, a 1997 R33 GTR V-spec, it's just not legalized yet. It was caught up in the MotorEx issue, so it sat for 14 or so months on their lot waiting legalization....but it went down the tubes when the company fell apart. So we'll eventually have 2 R33's to play with. But for now, it's just mine.

Thanks for reading.

Cory
Atlantic Motorsport
Atlantic Motorsports | Washington DC's Motorsport Performance Headquarters

PS: My Evo is in the November issue of Turbo Magazine if anybody wants to give it a look.
Old 4th October 2007, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
ShopGTR is in the USA.

Cars owned: 95 R33 GTR
Here's a few pics of the car the day it was dropped off and I purchased it. We were having a BBQ/Dyno Day.

And here's a couple of my Evo:

Old 5th October 2007, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
rasonline is happy to be on here again (2019-10)

Cars owned: Skyline GTR R32 / BMW E46 M3 / Subaru STi 6
welcome Cory

nice to see some well put together examples of some classic models. The Evo looks particularly interesting... and your Skyline looks just gorgeous.. i'm not normally an R33 fan but the whole colour scheme and wheels really looks the part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rasonline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th October 2007, 06:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
ericgtr is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: gtr34 vspecII blue stageI 500whp
nice car there.anyway i had the same problem u had before i think is the way they install the fuel pump
Old 24th October 2007, 04:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
xlaosge3x is unaware they can edit their status

I had the same problem with an r33 gtr with an upgraded pump, the fuel gauge showed 1/8 left and car just died while we were driving it , luckily we ended up on a slight hill right next to a gas station and I tried to fire her back up, to my surprise, the car stayed on long enough to make it in the station. Word to the wise, never let the needle fall below 1/4 tank and you'll never get stuck in the middle of the road in a GTR
Old 24th October 2007, 06:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
kismetcapitan is like trees in November...

Cars owned: BNR32 (RIP), Audi RS6, Ducati 1299S Panigale, Ducati Multistrada Granturismo
don't feel bad. I thought I blew my engine once, and wept on the side of the road. It just needed some fuel