What boost is the R35 pushing?? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24th October 2007, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
kismetcapitan is like trees in November...
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: BNR32 (RIP), Audi RS6, Ducati 1299S Panigale, Ducati Multistrada Granturismo
What boost is the R35 pushing??

gauge goes to 1.5bar, wonder if there's a "factory" setup where an owner can bump that up a bit, like on the R32 and the yellow restrictor thing...
Old 24th October 2007, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
fled is unaware they can edit their status

I read ~9 psi in one of the articles....
Old 24th October 2007, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cars owned: BNR32 (RIP), Audi RS6, Ducati 1299S Panigale, Ducati Multistrada Granturismo
that's it??

Old 24th October 2007, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Correction:

"The new six is force-fed by a pair of IHI turbos via an air-to-air intercooler. Max boost is 10.2 psi."

Source: CAR & DRIVER First Look
Old 24th October 2007, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

hell, that's still the same as the RB26 boost level. And the ECU being made "tuner-proof"? There's gotta be some kind of DIY easter egg upgrade like on the RB26 GT-Rs, bring it up to a full bar of boost.

That exhaust manifold certainly makes tuning tricky, but if the ECU gets cracked, I'm sure someone will sell bigger turbos - with housings that are also exhaust manifolds all in one. Won't be cheap though!!
Old 24th October 2007, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Im sure with de-cated downpipes and a fat single exhaust right through will make ridiculous power, not to mention upping the boost to around 1 bar.

Trust me, the stock turbos will hand out plenty soiled underwear before the need for larger turbos ever arise.
Old 24th October 2007, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Toby Broom is unaware they can edit their status

if a std R34 turbo can run 1.2-1.4 bar, I'm sure these can. The 1bar option will be on the Evo one?
Old 24th October 2007, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
rasonline is happy to be on here again (2019-10)

Cars owned: Skyline GTR R32 / BMW E46 M3 / Subaru STi 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fled View Post
Correction:

"The new six is force-fed by a pair of IHI turbos via an air-to-air intercooler. Max boost is 10.2 psi."

Source: CAR & DRIVER First Look
bloody hell... IHI Turbos.. those are the type taht made the ones on my Scooby.

They ain't the best turbos..
well, there's two ways to look at this..
1. probably not the best turbos
2. at least you could improve on them.. so that leaves a tuning potential and you can likely get some more power out.

this is based on the existing perception of IHI turbos as they come ont eh Scoobys. not sure how the new GTR turbos compare. but on the Subarus most people take out the IHI and replace with a TD05.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rasonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
MeLLoN Stu is pondering another GTR

Cars owned: R33 GTR V-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasonline View Post
bloody hell... IHI Turbos.. those are the type taht made the ones on my Scooby.

well, there's two ways to look at this..
1. probably not the best turbos
2. at least you could improve on them.. so that leaves a tuning potential and you can likely get some more power out.

this is based on the existing perception of IHI turbos as they come ont eh Scoobys. not sure how the new GTR turbos compare. but on the Subarus most people take out the IHI and replace with a TD05.

IHI make fantastic turbochargers, they're not as common a name as the likes of garrett in the tuning world, but they're up there with the best in terms of what they're capable of, not just with cars either. I've no doubts there will be turbo upgrades however, as much like the scoob you mention, the turbos you get will be matched to the spec of the car to give optimum performance as standard. So it's a fair assumption that they'll need replacing sooner or later, as any standard turbo would at some point.
One thing's for sure, there's going to be a hell of a lot of tuning potential available for the R35, however it's going to cost a **** load more than R32-R34 GTR's IMO, due to the complexity and fab work that'll be needed, and labour of course. Certainly interesting to see what happens when the tuning companies like HKS and their ilk get their mits on one.
I just wish it wasn't so ugly from the front.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MeLLoN Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
turboslippers is Christmas Shopping
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Metallic Blue R32 GTR; BMW 740i; Mk1 Mazda MX5 R; Mk4 Golf GTI (borrowing)
'Im sure with de-cated downpipes and a fat single exhaust right through will make ridiculous power, not to mention upping the boost to around 1 bar.'

Haha...what I want to know is, how much is the first aftermarket exhaust system complete with MOT legal cats going to cost? That aint going to be 600+vat for sure! Or, I wonder how much the replacement exhaust from Nissan is going to be for this car?
I only muse because, in fitting an exhaust to the R34GTR the garage noticed that the brackets/supporting frame holding the carbon undertray at the back were completely rotten (not uncommon). I rang Scott at Abbey to enquire as to what the deal was with brackets...firstly...you can't get them from Nissan as they are part of the carbon undertray assembly complete. Secondandly, from Nissan, the rear carbon undertray retails at over £7000 plus VAT. Hahahahaha....that's pure comedy. Clearly it's a low take item so that's going to bump the price up but compared to the original piece price that's still going to be a monumental mark up.

Quote:
Quote:
As you say, that's specific to the Subaru on that model...you can't really compare. We've had program on diesels where IHI make a great turbo for one engine and then another engine program where we've switched back to Honeywell/Garrett and vice versa. Normally, it's not the supplier who is to blame for the shortcomings of compenent but the car manufacturer for setting a design/performance target and then playing the suppliers off as to who can supply it the cheapest. Providing it meets the performance criteria and durability targets then it usually comes down to cost. This will be no different on a 60k GTR. Of course this whole thing gets awfully clouded where different companies provide turbo's for other products within the nissan group and then the whole 'leveraging' (as the yanks refer to it) exercise begins.

R32 GTR
Saab 9000 Aero
Eunos Roadster 1.8 R
turboslippers is offline   Reply With Quote