F1 Engine Development Frozen for 10 Years!!!! - Page 2 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Non-Skyline / GT-R chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th October 2007, 11:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Sean is truly staggered
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

I suspect that road car engines are going in a different direction to F1 - unless you want to see hybrid diesel Ferraris
Old 27th October 2007, 01:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
Nocturnal is unaware they can edit their status
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: Widebody BNR32
The thing is that F1 is not suppose to have a budget... End Of!

Until F1 start looking like some Japan Anime with Rocket Booster... I don't think they should hold it back.

GTROC Offer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 01:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
git-r is black flagged
Registered

Thrust - that's ****in brilliant! Only a ffew minutes after the original post too

Old 27th October 2007, 02:56 AM   #24 (permalink)
Thrust is waking from hibernation
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Tom's AristoV300, BNR 34, BCNR 33, Forester CrossSports
Max apologies for going off thread.

This freezing business is unnatural. Keep F1 fresh!!!

Action Group for the Ban against Skirts to be Lifted
Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 12:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
GarethK is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R33 GTR V-Spec x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth View Post
Give the car back to the drivers in F1 would be a smarter move ,stick shifting,clutch etc ,it was supposed to be coming back . The cars in the 80's and early 90's were alot more powerfull than these modern ones by a long way and the drivers pulled more G .
A lot more powerful yes, but I disagree that they 'pulled more G'. F1 cars are faster round most circuits now than they were then, and they are less powerful, so must be braking and cornering better (i.e. pulling more G!).
Old 27th October 2007, 12:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
rasonline is happy to be on here again (2019-10)

Cars owned: Skyline GTR R32 / BMW E46 M3 / Subaru STi 6
freeze on development of engines will have other areas that will gain. I'm not sure which direction they going though.

you will probably see more biofuels, focus on alternative energy sources eg. harnessing energy from braking to generate energy elsewhere, and other areas such as aerodynamics and tyres.

Rate of tyre developmnt has already exceeded the rate of development on the other 2 main areas on an f1 car - engine, and aerodynamics.

i think that this may not be as bad as ppl think it is. We will see development of a different kind. Let's face it, the toyota corolla of today is actually MORE HEAVY on fuel than the toyota corolla of 20 years ago. sure there's lots of safety add ons, etc. but development focus is far from ideal. we see far more fuel guzzlers in todays times than before.

my guess is there will be a much "greener" initiative. already last year we say Max Mosley talking about mandatory biofuel content in fuels from 2010.

rasonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 02:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
stealth is is pleased theVW camper is gone
Through the Night

Cars owned: GTR 35 & Renault Traffic Camper
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethK View Post
A lot more powerful yes, but I disagree that they 'pulled more G'. F1 cars are faster round most circuits now than they were then, and they are less powerful, so must be braking and cornering better (i.e. pulling more G!).

The cars are faster in a more controlled way (still would be unbelivebly quick to us that not driven one)the sheer grunt of the cars was much more and the power more brutal ,according to Mansell and Prost plus a few others from the time these cars do not wear you out the same as the ones from a few years ago and they do pull a bit more G .Of course they could just be getting old now and think that .Even so most drivers in F1 get out the cockpit at the end of the race and look like they have just pootled back from the shops .Senna was one of the fittest drivers around in the 90's and he even said once the drivers are on the verge of blacking out .Those long sweeping full speed bends in F1 have all but gone now ,so that has made a hell of a differance to the G forces too.
Old 28th October 2007, 10:40 AM   #28 (permalink)
rasonline is happy to be on here again (2019-10)

Cars owned: Skyline GTR R32 / BMW E46 M3 / Subaru STi 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth View Post
long sweeping full speed bends in F1 have all but gone now ,so that has made a hell of a differance to the G forces too.
the cars themselves are capable of pulling more LATERAL G-forces today than the old cars ever were.

the average G-force exerted on the driver over an entire race in todays times may be less than what the driver was exposed to previously.

rasonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 10:51 AM   #29 (permalink)
Andy W is not starting work until someone makes Coffee
New Users

Cars owned: R33 GTS-t R34 GTT 300 ZX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_GTSt View Post
And yet, Its engine devolpment in F1 that drives a lot of the advances in road cars, Making them both more powerfull and fuel efficient, This would be a bad step for everyone I think.
totaly agree, most types of motorsport are where ideas are formed tried and tested which filters down to production cars. Taking away development is ridiculous ! F1 is 'supposed' to be the pinnacle of motor vehicle design and technology.
Old 29th October 2007, 11:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
Rich B is unaware they can edit their status

only a matter of time before they start enforcing greeny regulations.. minimum fuel economy, alternate power sources etc..
Old 29th October 2007, 11:38 AM   #31 (permalink)
Nocturnal is unaware they can edit their status
GTR Register Trader

Cars owned: Widebody BNR32
The FIA imposed a ban on ground effect aerodynamics in 1983. This was due to a driver having a black out in a corner due to high G isn't it?

I remember reading that somewhere that they have place a minimum ground clearance after that...

GTROC Offer

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote