New GTR Over priced for the UK market?? - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

View Poll Results: Is the UK GTR over priced
Yes its overpriced and I'm going to get a new Japanese import 40 22.35%
No the price is OK and I'm going to get a UK car 83 46.37%
Yes it over priced and I'm gonna wait for the 2nd hand cars to come onto the market 56 31.28%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th November 2007, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
aki
aki is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: R32 GTR
Question New GTR Over priced for the UK market??

I have read many of the post in this section of the forum along with articles in magazines and thought I should put up a poll to gauge peoples thoughts on the ‘possible pricing’ of the UK GTR?

The list price for the car in Japan is approximately £35k; depending on the exchange rate. Now although no one know for sure what the UK price is going to be I’ve seen a lot reference made to price being in the region of £60k. Obviously being the in the UK we all probably expect to get ripped off a little but 70% increase over the Japanese retail is way too much IMHO. After the initial rush of sales when the car first hits the showroom I think they will struggle to sell these in any grate no’s? Look at previous attempts by Japanese car makers to sell this type car; NSX, Supra, 300X, RX7 etc. None of the UK spec variants of those cars sold that well and only really became popular due to cheaper Japanese imports. I think Nissan would do better in terms of sales if they put the car more on the price range of say a BMW M3, which I think is probably a more natural competitor for the GTR in terms of sales target.
Old 15th November 2007, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
R34 GTT Boy is Shamoooon
Executive GTR Owners Club Member

Cars owned: Par Car GolfCart
Agreed, it should be early-mid 40k's at the absolute most to really put pressure on the Porsches and maintain a global pricing structure.

Thank god I live in the UAE.
Old 15th November 2007, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dave_R1001 is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: Megane R26, R56 Cooper S
I totally get your point but the new M3 is easily 60k if you tick a lot of the options!

The price they sell it at is very important IMO. Porsche performance it may have, but to tempt your average joe and not just the enthusiasts it can't be priced at Porsche levels.

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
page
Dave_R1001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15th November 2007, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
matty32 is In tokyo

wait until it gets a full review on top gear or similar and gets into the wider market, tearing up tracks etc on various tv shows, people will start to pay attention.
Old 15th November 2007, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
CSB
CSB is hoping this thread doesn't get locked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R34 GTT Boy View Post
Agreed, it should be early-mid 40k's at the absolute most to really put pressure on the Porsches and maintain a global pricing structure.

Thank god I live in the UAE.
early mid 40s? this will sure have an effect on the r34gtr.
Old 15th November 2007, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
madadd is unaware they can edit their status
GTROC Member

Cars owned: Mini Cooper S, SVT Lightning, R35-GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
I have read many of the post in this section of the forum along with articles in magazines and thought I should put up a poll to gauge peoples thoughts on the ‘possible pricing’ of the UK GTR?

The list price for the car in Japan is approximately £35k; depending on the exchange rate. Now although no one know for sure what the UK price is going to be I’ve seen a lot reference made to price being in the region of £60k. Obviously being the in the UK we all probably expect to get ripped off a little but 70% increase over the Japanese retail is way too much IMHO. After the initial rush of sales when the car first hits the showroom I think they will struggle to sell these in any grate no’s? Look at previous attempts by Japanese car makers to sell this type car; NSX, Supra, 300X, RX7 etc. None of the UK spec variants of those cars sold that well and only really became popular due to cheaper Japanese imports. I think Nissan would do better in terms of sales if they put the car more on the price range of say a BMW M3, which I think is probably a more natural competitor for the GTR in terms of sales target.
Tax is a big part of the problem. Look at what Newera are offering the basic edition at ... 53K delivered to the UK. Based on the above thats nearly 20K on fees, shipping and tax.

Assuming a UK price of around 55-60K ..

I think the car is fairly priced. But then I was one of those that paid 50K for a UK R33. As they did back then, many will still think it is very expensive for a Nissan!

As to whether I think UK taxes are too high, causing this price difference then Yes! But I was born here and live here so I put up with it.

...MAd
Old 15th November 2007, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maxi is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R34 GTR Vspec
UK and probaly European lhd gtr will be overpriced as usual.
Of couse the taxes can explain a little bit of that, but it's just that these countries are overpriced and nissan will rip them off as much as they can.

I don't know how it's working in Japan and us, and if there are some taxes
for the cars, and import taxes, but they sell the in us the price
of a new gtr is 35000£, and they sell it at this price even if nissan have to ship the cars there, and include all the taxes.

even if they were going to sell them for the same price, plus vat and import tax, it would be around 45000£, but in UK you can expect a price of more than 55000£.

That is just because they have to be competitive in us to sell cars,
but customers for europe are used to pay too much for a car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Maxi; 15th November 2007 at 09:06 PM..
Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newera is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: Knight Sports Prepared RX-7 480SS turbo & Techno Pro Spirits Tuned Corolla AE86
Newera Imports - home / stock / carDetails

Our pricing of £52,435 OTR includes only £1800 incl. VAT for the work of personally importing - to order, over the costs involved in bringing cars to UK (Via container).... And that's without our customers paying Japanese consumption-tax (Which everyone else is charging !

Bear in mind that the cars must be registered in Japan before export (Nissan won't sell cars without registration - no way!) and that importing these via ro/ro would be silly (We use containers for safety).

The calculation figures are available via e-mail upon request via our site.

So bearing the realistic costs in mind - I can't see them ever getting anywhere near £40,000 OTR new from UK dealers. More like £60,000 +. I think those who have done the research will agree with me here...

It also helps to look at the history of official imports out of Japan to UK and other countries. In many cases, the best cars didn't sell in large numbers in UK because of their pricing...and were withdrawn early on (Mk. IV Supra, FD3S RX-7, etc. are suitable examples).
I think you'll find that due to costs of importing, UK taxes (amalgamating to 29.25%), marketting, etc. -Officially imported cars have to return a given margin - or it's simply not viable. GT-R has to be viable - the most exciting Performance car to come out of Japan yet (IMHO) but there's no way Nissan will just give them away. Not a chance!

Miguel

Last edited by Newera; 15th November 2007 at 11:44 PM..
Newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 07:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
stealth is is pleased theVW camper is gone
Through the Night

Cars owned: GTR 35 & Renault Traffic Camper
As we all the know the last range were mostly imports and not very much seen in this Country at the time ,for Nissan to build and sell a world wide car it has to be priced fairly I would have thought.With car market these days a very expensive car if the GTR turns out to be so ,alot of people wont want to pay top whack for a Nissan ,not with BMW and the Mercs around that have the name .It's differant for people like us on the forum but I'm sure loads of people are gonna say "How much! for a Nissan,your kidding"

No disrespect to Nissan but the average Joe just wont pay over the top prices when they can have a Merc .
Old 16th November 2007, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
michaelsk is unaware they can edit their status

now the US price has been released, its very very close to the Japanese price roughly £35K, Based on speculation how would Nissan UK justify £55K+ ??

Cheers

Michael
Old 16th November 2007, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
aki
aki is unaware they can edit their status

Nissan marketing will justify the price because people will buy it. I’m not sure what their target sales figure is for Europe but I can’t imagine it will be very high?? With the R33 & R34 they only brought in small no’s so they could pretty much charge what they wanted and people would still have bought them.
Old 16th November 2007, 12:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Skywalker is unaware they can edit their status

It ain't gonna be cheap

If the sold the R34 for £50k does anyone really think the R35 is going to be less?

The 350z is only $28,000 - $40,000 (depending on spec) in the US!!!

Anyone know the japanese price for a Scooby, Evo or 350z so we can see how that compares with the UK price?

....Welcome to Rip Off Britain (again)
Old 16th November 2007, 03:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
whoflungdung is keeping it polished in my garage :)

Cars owned: Nissan Skyline GTR
Firstly, not enough options to vote, so I haven't
What about, rip off taxing kills the car, compared to other uk cars its still competitive etc etc etc

Anyhow...for what its worth
Compared to uk cars the cost for what you get is quite good
Compared to the cost of the car from Japan...its a rip off!!!!
To sum up, for under or around £60k what can you buy with the same or better performance in the "uk"
I believe it wouldn't be much if anything

Also badge snobbery wont come into it...the Skyline is a worldwide name
If they get it right, it wont matter
Petrol heads will buy the car that performs best
Solicitors, accountants etc not in the know, will stick their noses in the air

So for me, its worth the money, but is a rip off!!!
whoflungdung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
sparky69 is unaware they can edit their status

I checked the price of a 350Z in japan its bout 3.5 mil yen which works out bout right 3.5 mil yen for 350Z £25k here 7.5 mil yen for GTR £55k here.
Old 16th November 2007, 03:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Simonh is thinking bad thoughts
GT-RDC Member

Cars owned: MY11 R35 Recaro
if you take the £35K japan price and add 10% duty and then 17.5% VAT you get to £45237.50.

that is without any de-reg, shipping, insurance, dock fees, conversion or UK registration costs.

I can easily see it being £60k in the UK

Simon
Old 16th November 2007, 04:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
stealth is is pleased theVW camper is gone
Through the Night

Cars owned: GTR 35 & Renault Traffic Camper
Skyline may be a world wide name ,but this car is not one.

Is the UK going to be charged aprox 40% more than anywhere else ,lets hope not.
Old 16th November 2007, 05:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
R33_GTS-t is unaware they can edit their status
Banned

Cars owned: R32 GTR, Evo 7
Whilst I can't justify the Japan-to-UK price increase. At £55k, it's competitively priced against the likes of the M3 and RS4 in the UK market.

Old 16th November 2007, 05:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jason abz is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: Walking, bus`ing, train`ing....waiting!!!
damn....

I knew it was wishful thinking and a misprint when i read in a mag that they expected it to be about £32k. Could almost swear it was Top Gear which made me think it was all the more shockingingly cheap but it must have been some ill informed tat mag instead, just can`t remember which.
Old 16th November 2007, 06:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
mifn21 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

The VAT argument doesn't really hold water as while 35K maybe the Japanese on the road price, the tax-free export price would obviously be less

Also don't the yanks tax imported cars high to encourage the sales of their own country's cars? Its still a lot cheaper over there than it will be here
Old 16th November 2007, 06:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
matty32 is In tokyo

it will be priced as nissan want it to be priced, they arnt going to do it for £30k in europe why should they its a GT-R.

i for one will be glad to see these arrive at newera way before any others are in the uk in sufficient numbers,