-5s or -7s - Page 12 - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > Nissan Skyline > Turbos
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

View Poll Results: -7 or -5 turbos?
-5 for power - gimme gimme gimme! 149 57.53%
-7 for spool-up - it's a street car after all! 110 42.47%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 9th February 2013, 03:09 AM   #221 (permalink)
Monster GT-R is Addicted to Horse Power
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Cars owned: I have a New Project R32 GTR
Professionals who work for turbo companies and the guys who work on them all day long every day know best, as to where they self distruct. I can only say, mine didn't last long past 1.0 bar but at the same time I didn't record how far I pushed them but it wasn't far. Dash 5's are really good and if you had a stock engine you could run them with minimal extra costs BUT and I do mean BUT you must keep the boost down or you must have the means to correct for fueling and timing issues. Lack of fuel will shut you down really REALLY FAST.

Monsterless at the moment :(
Monster GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 08:05 AM   #222 (permalink)
Silviagtr85 is Gtr31985

It's n1s with the compressor wheel from the dash 5 I have ont turbos,I'm just running 1.16bar so should be safe enough there.wven at just under 1.2 bar it's there making 500hp
Old 9th February 2013, 06:20 PM   #223 (permalink)

Good on you ! Nice, I like to see good healthy horse power out of these outstanding engines. Got to love it ! And they rev up so quickly

Old 9th February 2013, 06:28 PM   #224 (permalink)
Silviagtr85 is Gtr31985

It does boost a bit late but I put that down to it having the n1 turbine and big cams lol
Old 9th February 2013, 06:43 PM   #225 (permalink)

N1 turbos are so close to a clone of the other factory turbo's they in my opinion are identical in spool up times and relative performance. There can be a host of reasons why the boost will be delayed. Boosted side volume has been increased with hard pipes or intercool or intake plenum or all of the above. Cam change, fuel, timing, air filters and inlet system changes just to name a few.
And they can be corrected or counter compensated for in several ways, one of is use Water/Methanol injection. AEM has a good one that will take 100% methanol and Devils Own but some complain about Devils Own.

Old 9th February 2013, 06:50 PM   #226 (permalink)
Silviagtr85 is Gtr31985

Yeh that's true,I'm not to bothered about it as you say they rev so fast so it's into full boost before I know it
Old 9th February 2013, 07:44 PM   #227 (permalink)

Yah you got ! I really don't get how some people get so trivial on "Oh X turbos spool 300 rpm sooner and so I want those ones " OMG ! ! ! I go through 3,000 to 5,000 rpm so fast it is rediculous. I get to 8500 rpm so fast, tell me where it spools up faster by 300 rpm , OMG

Old 9th February 2013, 10:12 PM   #228 (permalink)
Marko R1 is happy to have his old GTR back!

Cars owned: no.60/100 Australian Delivered R32 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster GT-R View Post
I have had Dash 5 turbos in most of the common configurations, on a factory engine then with Jun Stage 2 cams and titanium valve parts and Manley inconel valves , before and after porting ,with stock boost with / then without the restrictor / then full blast and all you can get from the dash 5 , stock engine internals then not, stock red line then redline at 9,500, RB26 up to RB28, without and with Methanol injection. My engine now costs more than most peoples cars and EVERYWHERE in the process the dash 5 was the better and more enjoyable all round best twin set-up. If it wasn't for a mistake that I made i would have been on my way to putting 80 - 90,000 km a yr on the car. Dash 5's rule for best overal, I can't even see how there is a debate going on ?
this quote for me sums it up & nothing beats hands on experience.

i was looking at either -9s (gtss equivalent) or -5s. ive had gtss in the past making 320awkw @ 23psi & i ran a 11.1 pass (was capable of running a high 10 pass) but i can say that for me, it was a bit boring after a while.

i too had -5s for only a few mths as i sold that gtr & that was a lot of fun & felt great & that was only 19psi it made just under 350awkw.

i will be going with -5s & now in the midst of pulling off my hks gtrs turbos on my 2.6ltr. (for those that know me, i sold the rb2630 which had -10s with sfa lag).

what actuators are recommended for the -5s as im thinking that i might retain my hks actuators? also, at what pressure should i set up the actuators when they crack open?
Old 10th February 2013, 11:52 PM   #229 (permalink)

Talking

You know I didn't even look at mine as they came with actuators, and they locked them with a spot welder on the rod end. but since my engine is not in the car at the moment I will go out and look and see if they have any identifying numbers. There are 3 sets of numbers on mine but only this number are the same on both turbo's, 430819-367 . I didn't bother tampering with the waste gate actuators as I have a HKS EVC 6 boost controler and it does what I want.

Old 24th March 2013, 12:07 AM   #230 (permalink)
Marko R1 is happy to have his old GTR back!

Cars owned: no.60/100 Australian Delivered R32 GTR
how about these new GTX series turbos...not the 2863 or 2867, but the GTX 2860's?
yes the compressor housing needs modding as they dont have standard 2" inlet & the outlet does not have the 2 bolt flange.

a few guys on skylines aust have had some success - they seem to have a clear advantage when u run race fuel & > 24psi.

now ive also been told by an owner that went from hks 2530's to GTX2860's that they have the same lag as his 2530's & we know that 2530's are laggier than -5s...does this mean that -5s are STILL the ultimate street turbo if you want the best compromise for mid range & top end power?
Old 12th June 2016, 12:39 PM   #231 (permalink)
habu32 is ready to strike
GTR.co.uk posting Member - No selling

Cars owned: 1993 Nissan Skyline GT-R
Something that may be a bit of interest to this debate possibly:

HKS?GT-SS???????GT III-RS???????? | AUTO MESSE WEB

https://translate.googleusercontent....S04cqqBcSbckbg

Stumbled upon this in newest GT-R magazine I picked up today. Only found 2 websites that has info on these. Not even HKS has it on their site. I'll snap some pics of the pages from the magazine. But from what I can translate via the Google machine, these have aluminum wheels...billet perhaps? Might be a game changer with ported manifolds/big tube N1 manifolds. Thoughts?
Old 22nd June 2016, 06:00 PM   #232 (permalink)
Nismo1 is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/product_db/turbo/db/17678

Saw this a few days ago
Old 23rd June 2016, 11:44 PM   #233 (permalink)
FRRACER is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R32.4.5
Doesn't look impressive more laggy and tests done on a 2.8 with v cam. Would be worse on the 2.6