VR38DETT VS RB26DETT - GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum

Want to buy a banner ad? Find out more here.

Go Back   GT-R Register - Nissan Skyline and GT-R Drivers Club forum > General > General Nissan R35 GT-R Chat
Register Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Insurance

View Poll Results: Would you swap if technology enables you?
Yes, what ever it costs. 7 5.47%
Yes ,but only if reasonable priced. 26 20.31%
No as the new engine is not better, just different. 67 52.34%
Are you crazy, all RBs have 100000HP from stock!!!! 28 21.88%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 1st June 2008, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
gtrlux is in red Skyline mode

Cars owned: Top Secret R32 / R34 sedan / V37 Skyline
VR38DETT VS RB26DETT

After all the excitement and emphasises about the new GTR, would be cool to know how the new power unit compares really to the old RB!!

Have spoken to many peeps out there, since the launch of the new GTR and many tell me that the engine is great , but the RB still better!?! Of course you can't compare a 500HP engine with a 300HP. What many say is that for exemple the Z-Tune engine is still in an other league in power delivery and track usability. Then how would a Nismo R1 (at 480HP) or any setup RB at equal VR power output compare to the new unit?

Of course difficult to say , as power goes through mission, drive train, body ex . . . down to the street and I think that's the main big achievement of the new R35, . . would have the old RB done a better job? Or shall I ask, would you swap in future your RB for a VR in to your R32, 33, 34 . . if technology would make it possible??
Old 1st June 2008, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
nismoman is unaware they can edit their status
GT-RDC Founder Member

i was talking to a new r35 owner,and he said the transmision is the biggest gain over the old gtr
nismoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
davew is loving the new club
GT-RDC Founder Member

Cars owned: R35,R34,R33,R32 and KGC10
This is the question i have asked myself many times...................Will i miss the RB howl???????????

I am a sponsor of the GTR Register!
davew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1st June 2008, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Nismo-ace is unaware they can edit their status
GTR.co.uk seasoned Member

Think of it this way tax will be increased for a 2.6 to a 3.8!

I think thats a good reason!

But the good side it'll be worth every penny
Old 1st June 2008, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fuggles is at Nissan GT-R London
Registered

Cars owned: none
What about the V8 used in the Super GT cars? Could be an interesting option
Old 1st June 2008, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
kismetcapitan is like trees in November...

Cars owned: BNR32 (RIP), Audi RS6, Ducati 1299S Panigale, Ducati Multistrada Granturismo
no doubt the increased displacement makes a difference. But fact is, I'm not a fan of V-engines, I like 'em straight...unless it's a biturbo V12

The tuning potential is well-proven for the RB26. Virtually any desired power output can be achieved with, if you look at it honestly, mere pennies compared with most other (non-Japanese) cars. How much does it cost to build a 1000bhp RB26? A lot, but it can be done with a click of the mouse and a very large paypal account. How much does it cost to build a 1000bhp Lamborghini? Hundreds of thousands of dollars of custom work, and no guarantee the thing won't blow up on its first dyno run. You could probably order up a 1000bhp BMW M6, but it'd be at least double or triple the cost of a 1000bhp RB26.

But I'd take the transmission. The word on the street is that its the fastest semi-auto available.

So how about adopting the R35 transaxle to my R32 Then I'll be happy.
Old 1st June 2008, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Nismo-ace is unaware they can edit their status

How much does it cost to build a 1000bhp Lamborghini? Hundreds of thousands of dollars of custom work, and no guarantee the thing won't blow up on its first dyno run

Lol thats some funny stuff
Old 2nd June 2008, 04:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
doggiehowser is unaware they can edit their status

You can build any HP RB26 if you are willing to invest in it. That often means new crank, pistons, conrods, completely reworked head etc. Heck, it would probably be an RB28 (maybe even larger cc?) by the time some of the guys are through with it.

And you usually have to sacrifice day to day driveability.

Given time, I am sure the same mods could be applied to the VR38. VR40 with reinforced internals (once they figure out how to get around the plasma lining I am sure)..
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Swiss Frank is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: R35, E39 M5, F430 Spider
The RB26DETT sounds like a proper lump. My VR38DETT sounds like a dyson. I'd take a RB26DETT or a 2JZ-GTE any day. In fact after getting the R35 have VERY seriously considered trying to find a clean JZA80 instead.
Old 3rd June 2008, 05:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
mindlessoath is Elite

what about the torque curve for the vr38, its rather nice! and it doesnt need big turbos for effective power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CBA-R35 Tech and News
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 12:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Kanzen is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: Mine's tuned BNR34 V-Spec II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Frank View Post
The RB26DETT sounds like a proper lump. My VR38DETT sounds like a dyson. I'd take a RB26DETT or a 2JZ-GTE any day. In fact after getting the R35 have VERY seriously considered trying to find a clean JZA80 instead.
An unmolested '98 Twin Turbo VVT-i in Quicksilver would be my car of choice. Probably the Holy Grail of Supras.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closing Down Sale - Discounted Mine's Parts

BNR34 S-Tune's for Sale:

Kanzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 04:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Bean is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Cars owned: Reservation receipt
I`ll keep my 35. The only thing that isn`t really satisfactory is the rear seats. Anything else I`ll work on in the near future...
Old 4th June 2008, 05:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
hipogtr is putting the R35 under the knife
New Users

Cars owned: Ganbaru Vitz!
IMHO, its much too early to say whether the 3.8 is comparable to the RB26. However, taking time into consideration, the RB26 was incredible mainstream technology when it rolled out in 1989 - I haven't yet got that feeling about the 2007 VR engine (not that it makes it an ordinary engine either).
Old 4th June 2008, 05:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
gtrlux is in red Skyline mode

Cars owned: Top Secret R32 / R34 sedan / V37 Skyline
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipogtr View Post
IMHO, its much too early to say whether the 3.8 is comparable to the RB26. However, taking time into consideration, the RB26 was incredible mainstream technology when it rolled out in 1989 - I haven't yet got that feeling about the 2007 VR engine (not that it makes it an ordinary engine either).
Having read trough the Carlos Ghosn book analyzes recently , I found some interesting points to the GTR production. When Carlos came in 99. he actually hunted down every non-profitable sengement of the production lines. He clearly said that times of over-engineering (witch makes the myth about over-eng. fact) are over. Needless to say that the last engines produced in this engineering style where the RBs as all other engines had been taken off the line.

It would be very interesting to know what that over-engineering was all about, as you can only compare the productprice and the product quality with equal products at same price and lower quality of that time. So how much is the VR overengineered for 2008? Can we actually ask that question at all? is it not the fact that tachnology also gets more accesible by time and evolving Hightech gets more easy and cheap to produce with time, so that there are no diamonds and myths around the car industry in 2008!?

Last edited by gtrlux; 4th June 2008 at 05:54 AM..
gtrlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 08:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
StretchGSK is unaware they can edit their status

Cars owned: 2001 R34 GTR Vspec II
For me there is nothing this side of a Ferrari V8 in say a 360 or 430 that sounds better than a howling RB26!!
Then throw in how nice it is to open the bonnet and actually be able to see the heart of the car instead of just platic covers like in most modern cars...give me the RB anyday!

Not saying the VR is not a great engine, just that I dont feel like I am at all second best. Just the notion that we are comparing a 20 year old design with a new engine speak volumes!

good point about the over engineering gtrlux.....over engineering = less profit

Bean have you actually got a R35 already?
Old 5th June 2008, 04:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Bean is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

Cars owned: Reservation receipt
Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchGSK View Post
For me there is nothing this side of a Ferrari V8 in say a 360 or 430 that sounds better than a howling RB26!!
Then throw in how nice it is to open the bonnet and actually be able to see the heart of the car instead of just platic covers like in most modern cars...give me the RB anyday!

Not saying the VR is not a great engine, just that I dont feel like I am at all second best. Just the notion that we are comparing a 20 year old design with a new engine speak volumes!

good point about the over engineering gtrlux.....over engineering = less profit

Bean have you actually got a R35 already?
Yeah - had it nearly 6 months now.
Old 18th July 2008, 10:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
skylinefreak is unaware they can edit their status
New Users

I think they should have left the RB to continue the tradition of the skyline.... but then again the VR is a really good motor....
Old 15th August 2008, 10:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
r34mspec is unaware they can edit their status

Swiss Frank do you actually even like your car?
you actually own one and seem pretty negative about the car on past and present threads?
This is just a question and not an argument!
Old 17th August 2008, 04:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
tyndago is gtrusablog.com

Cars owned: Nismo R32, #500, and #536
There is no replacement for displacement. I have played with many RB26's over the years. The engine sound is beautiful, however it has many other shortcomings. Anyone that tries to say otherwise....well... I have nearly 10 years of dealing with cars now.

The VR38 is a great engine. It can make a lot more power. The VQ which it is "based" on is a good engine. It does not have nearly as good of a sound as an RB, but the torque, the oil pump, the rod bearings probably will make up for it.

tyndago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 06:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
mindlessoath is Elite

yes, i agree with you sean. i guess technology realy cought up. right now we are seeing the engine take 600hp (the vr38) and the trans can keep up with that.

the transmision is the setback on the r35, even with modifications to the tcu and clutchs, but that should help alot.

the engine itself can handle up to 700hp without modifying the bottom end. ya i know the rb26 can handle 1000hp, but im not sure what mods have to be done to achive that. i do know we are going to see vr38's do higher than 700hp if the transmission issues are all fixed with aftermarket support. going to cost alot of money tho, alot for the car and even more money for the parts to battle all the heat and stress of all that power, and then more parts to handle the power around a race track.

anyone remember seeing the esprit z33 chassis with an rb26 engine? that was something amazing! special order for a customer in dubai i belive. they showed it on a best motoring video i think (or something related to the group). it just shows how great the chassis of the R35 (z33) really is... and shows off how great the rb26 engine still is too.

CBA-R35 Tech and News
mindlessoath is offline   Reply With Quote