GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whoa!

Well thinking about a person that owns a 400R these days i suppose will be a big budget person so maybe what we see very expensive for others its just a few coins in his budget

Own opinion, Cars like a 400R were made for ride and enjoy its a shame to see beasts saved in a temp controlled ambient making just a few miles per year in a millionare warehouse that just bought them as a collection, you will die anyway soon or later so enjoy all the days and if you can enjoy it inside a special 400R skyline do it

·
Registered
273 Posts
Own opinion, Cars like a 400R were made for ride and enjoy its a shame to see beasts saved in a temp controlled ambient making just a few miles per year in a millionare warehouse that just bought them as a collection, you will die anyway soon or later so enjoy all the days and if you can enjoy it inside a special 400R skyline do it
I agree. If I'd get my hands on a rare car, I would drive it every day. I do not like garage queens. It's sort of like having a hot girl friend but not hitting the bed with her often. You're just going to keep it tight for the next guy who rides her.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I would never pay that much. HOwever, the GTR has become such an icon that it is now in the realm of those owners who don't care about money.

Like when you buy a famous artwork, nobody asks whether it is worth the cost of the material... it depends on the artist who painted it.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I agree. If I'd get my hands on a rare car, I would drive it every day. I do not like garage queens. It's sort of like having a hot girl friend but not hitting the bed with her often. You're just going to keep it tight for the next guy who rides her.
It's easy to generalize, and it's not always easy to do this. Sometimes it is a hassle and inconvenience to drive a highly sought after vehicle.

Some owners will tell you that they get pulled over by cops just because it's a GTR, or that the fanboys swarm the car wanting to sit inside or go for a drive, or that it just becomes a magnet for unwanted attention. Depends on which country and city you are in, you may or may not experience some of the above. Or the owner's family may have grown and a 2-door is no longer practical so it gets used less. Or the owner has a house with one long driveway and it's a hassle to pull the car out the driveway. Or the owner changed jobs and needs to travel a lot and doesn't drive the car much anymore. Or.....

·
Registered
273 Posts
It's easy to generalize, and it's not always easy to do this. Sometimes it is a hassle and inconvenience to drive a highly sought after vehicle.

Some owners will tell you that they get pulled over by cops just because it's a GTR, or that the fanboys swarm the car wanting to sit inside or go for a drive, or that it just becomes a magnet for unwanted attention. Depends on which country and city you are in, you may or may not experience some of the above. Or the owner's family may have grown and a 2-door is no longer practical so it gets used less. Or the owner has a house with one long driveway and it's a hassle to pull the car out the driveway. Or the owner changed jobs and needs to travel a lot and doesn't drive the car much anymore. Or.....
Wasn't really generalizing, just mentioning that people should enjoy the cars and not let them sit as ornaments just because they are rare or restored. What's the point of owning a cool car and having it sit in the garage while it gets detailed every month while sitting with a battery tenderizer? There's no fun in that. Things will break and are replaceable, which makes it more fun than having a completed car sitting pretty in the garage. My neighbor does this with his classic American muscle cars (32' Ford, C2 Corvette, and Chevy 210) in which he barely drives them. Has his millennial son on his will to collect the cars, which he stated doesn't really even like cars, who will probably sell it for peanuts to the next guy who will ride the car harder than his dad did.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Whoa!

Well thinking about a person that owns a 400R these days i suppose will be a big budget person so maybe what we see very expensive for others its just a few coins in his budget

Thats savage - you don't even know my owner.....please don't tar everyone with the same brush!

You would drive a 400R to work everyday! LOL.

My owner is a normal bloke - with just a good taste in used cars!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thats savage - you don't even know my owner.....please don't tar everyone with the same brush!

You would drive a 400R to work everyday! LOL.
A car was built to be driven and not be sitting in a museum. Why would you buy it just to look at it? You can do that for free. We’re all bound to die some day, so I would enjoy and ride the hell out of it. I’m not going to keep it tight for the next guy who buys it and enjoys it. Cause eventually the next guy will ride her hard. I don’t care how rare the car would be, I’d drive it and not let it sit.

·
Administrator
31,526 Posts
A car was built to be driven and not be sitting in a museum. Why would you buy it just to look at it? You can do that for free. We’re all bound to die some day, so I would enjoy and ride the hell out of it. I’m not going to keep it tight for the next guy who buys it and enjoys it. Cause eventually the next guy will ride her hard. I don’t care how rare the car would be, I’d drive it and not let it sit.
That’s like saying you’d wear a Rolex on a building site.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That’s like saying you’d wear a Rolex on a building site.
You’re comparing apples with oranges. One is means for transportation and enjoyment. The other is a fashion statement. If I had a 255 GTO, I would track it all the time. I don’t see cars as investment plans or decorations. They’re meant to be enjoyed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You can get a clear bra to prevent stone chips or get a new paint job for the front bumper. Easy as that. Same with headlights. I wouldn’t worry about these minor things. OCD people would. On the bright side, a lot of these folks are leaving good cars for people like me to ride it like they never did.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You don’t say? They are part of the reason why prices on them are high. Must be boring taking out a car every weekend to clean, then drive it a few feet back into the garage instead of driving the hell out if it like it was built to do. But when time on the death bed comes, wifey or kiddos will take care of the belongings and car and sell it for mere peanuts to folks who will take the car for a ride. Been seeing it happen a lot with American classics here in the US.

·
Administrator
31,526 Posts
you have to question then why more Classic cars aren't daily drivers then. By your reckoning simply owning a "legend" but not driving it daily does that car a disservice.

I wonder if there is therefore a "scene" for daily drivers? Veyrons covering in parking dings, Lamborghinis with road rash all over them, messy Ferrari's

Or, perhaps driving these cars daily is a CHORE, they're crap in traffic and WILL get "ruined". All good and well damaging a car having fun, but coming back to your car after a hard doys work to find a deliveroo scooter stuffed in the back isnt really worth the "fun" of sitting in traffic with a triple plate clutch, stiff suspension and a ton of noise.

Perhaps THAT is why they end up as garage queens, because, also, when you get old, you realise family and other things are more important and often more fun.

·
Registered
25,454 Posts
also just to add actually

alot, and i mean alot of things wear out. gaskets fail etc (rb26)

the car becomes unenjoyable, and its a chore. i have been there and done that in the early 2000s and its horrible.

modern cars now are far more reliable.

its probably why i enjoy my 35 as a daily (auto).

There is no way i would daily an older GT-R

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
you have to question then why more Classic cars aren't daily drivers then.
Simple Mike, Parts availability! Some Classics You have to make the Parts required from scratch, If and when they fail/wear out. As You well know with the Skyline, When You have to wait for a week or more for the spares You need to fix Your Motor to come from Japan....These are the things that can prevent some of Us from using Our Classics Daily.

I wonder if there is therefore a "scene" for daily drivers? Veyrons covering in parking dings, Lamborghinis with road rash all over them, messy Ferrari's
Most successful Automotive You-Tubers do just that Mike and VLog about their Vehicular misfortunes for regular Channel Content. If they are getting thousands in revenue each Month from Subscribers for filming the destruction of what We'd class as a Dream Machine or Classic Icon, How are we as normal Folks going to stop such Global vandalism practices?

Or, perhaps driving these cars daily is a CHORE, they're crap in traffic and WILL get "ruined". All good and well damaging a car having fun, but coming back to your car after a hard doys work to find a deliveroo scooter stuffed in the back isnt really worth the "fun" of sitting in traffic with a triple plate clutch, stiff suspension and a ton of noise.
This is all true Mike but there is that one special drive Home or such where the weathers great, the Roads were all clear and the Driving experience You had was absolutely F#@king awesome! :giggle:

Yes, 95% of Your normal Daily Commutes will be mundane as $hite because You'll stick 100% to the letter of the Law but its these rare and unique remaining 5% fun experiences that keep You lusting after more and more with Your chosen Performance Car!

You only get one chance at Life and its way too short to stick to the safe and boring routines "Mr Safe Average Joe" prefers IMHO. As for getting ruined, Buy one that isn't a super rare and ultra exclusive model so that You ain't gonna break You heart over when it gets a smattering of Stone Chips or the myriad of other possible Car related dings....

Perhaps THAT is why they end up as garage queens, because, also, when you get old, you realise family and other things are more important and often more fun.
Oh Dear Mike. One thing this Forum has taught Me over the Years is that age has no limit to Skyline Ownership. There are many here who are sixty and beyond who not only enjoy but Drive their GT-R's enthusiastically in the manner that makes them stick out from the Crowd.

Don't give Me that old Family B/S because 1) You can do both thanks to the functionality and reliability of Our old Nissan's and 2) You can change as many $hitty Nappy's as You like in a Life-time, It ain't ever going to be Fun or Enjoyable doing such a chore mate....

also just to add actually

alot, and i mean alot of things wear out. gaskets fail etc (rb26)
For balance then Matt, Yes Parts do wear out but Nissan and its Aftermarket Suppliers do a really impressive job of supplying almost everything You need to keep a Thirty Year old skyline GT-R Road worthy and fully functional. Not all Classic Makes and Models have such a luxury....

the car becomes unenjoyable, and its a chore. i have been there and done that in the early 2000s and its horrible.
I've only been enjoying mine since 2013 but I still giggle like a Muppet every time I get behind wheel and Drive it. Granted, I've not Owned a Skyline GT-R as long as You have but I've not even slightly become bored of what its got to offer so far either. Maybe one day I will but NOTHING gives You a Driving experience like a Skyline GT-R does. Maybe this is also the reason why You keep Your BNR34 and BNR32 Matty??

modern cars now are far more reliable.
Yes, This is factually True. New Cars are also expensive boring tech laden w4nkfe$ts for the Modern "Look-at-Me" Snap-Chat Instagram Generation. It takes no skill to Drive one of these passionately and anyone can take out a Finance, Loan or open their Wallets to Buy one for themselves. No one gets off of their lazy ar$es to fix them themselves and freak out at the exorbitant cost for Diagnostics to be done from a Dealerships plug in Computer. What happened to individuality and creativity from Our Past? Kids Today are so scared of sticking of from a Crowd that they just bow down and conform to what all the other frightened Planet hugging Youths want. How Sad...

its probably why i enjoy my 35 as a daily (auto).

There is no way i would daily an older GT-R
And that's Your prerogative Matty. Others on here unfortunately don't enjoy the feel of the more modern R35 (or the myriad of other exotics available) and as such have no issues or problems at all in Dailying their old Skyline's if needed too.

I do hope that none of what I've written above causes any offence because its not my intention to do so here. I just wanted to add My two pence worth to this Topic in order to bring some balance from an Owner who doesn't feel or agree with the statements made earlier.

HTH!:)

·
Administrator
31,526 Posts
I actually disagree. If you enjoy DRIVING, not Cars, you can have that 5% experience in ANY car. I did a Quarantine run up to Colchester in my Passat Tdi and when I arrived the brakes were cooked and my heart was racing. Best drive I've had in YEARS and that includes during Skyline ownership. It's not what you drive, its how you drive it.

If you have worked hard to buy said dream car on any kind of budget, you'll want to protect both the investment and the condition, so dailying it simply isn't an option for 95% of people. and I again refute that people don't change. Selling my Skyline, my dream car, was the best thing I ever did. It was a burden. My family didn't make me need to do that, it made me want to do it.

You don't need to have an amazing car to have amazing fun. So the argument to daily a "special car" simply doesn't fit with me.

I'll come back round to cars when I'm older no doubt, but for now I can have as much fun in ANY car as I want.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts