GTR Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts

I actually disagree. If you enjoy DRIVING, not Cars, you can have that 5% experience in ANY car. I did a Quarantine run up to Colchester in my Passat Tdi and when I arrived the brakes were cooked and my heart was racing. Best drive I've had in YEARS and that includes during Skyline ownership. It's not what you drive, its how you drive it.
Ok, Are You telling Me You'd have as much fun in Your TDi repeated around some place like Goodwood or Silverstone as You would in a Skyline GT-R Mike? I'll admit it'll probably be a bit of a giggle at first but You'd soon tire after a few Laps from its overall lack of grip, cooked Brakes and lackluster moderate performance.

As for something else like Santa Pod, I doubt getting a eighteen or (on a good day) even a sixteen second mind blowing time up the Strip is going to get the Pulse racing towards anything indicating more than mild amusement.

This is absolutely why next time I decide to take a trip out to somewhere like Llandovery via the Brecon Beacons, I'll lean more towards using My Skyline GT-R thanks solely to its extra performance potential, superb handling characteristics and excellent Brembo Brakes than a typical Family daily transport Wagon!

If you have worked hard to buy said dream car on any kind of budget, you'll want to protect both the investment and the condition, so dailying it simply isn't an option for 95% of people. and I again refute that people don't change. Selling my Skyline, my dream car, was the best thing I ever did. It was a burden. My family didn't make me need to do that, it made me want to do it.
Which is why I didn't Buy My Skyline until 2013 Mike. Till then I'd been a long time Forum lurker/dreamer who was absolutely scared to death after reading all the nightmare stories of £30k+ rebuilds regarding total engine and gearbox annihilations. But I took a risk and bought one and I am now so glad that I have a GT-R in My life! If We never took a risk or two, You'd never get out of Bed in the Morning.

As for protecting My investment, I bought the Car to enjoy....Not make a profit on. It gets Serviced when necessary and gets upgraded Tuning parts when I can afford them. Makes no difference to Me if its a gloriously Sunny Day or pi$$ing down with Rain, If I want to use My Skyline to go to Work, Shopping, Date Night, etc, etc....I do so without hesitation because (I guess I'm really lucky here) its proved itself to be reliable enough of a vehicle to do so.

You don't need to have an amazing car to have amazing fun. So the argument to daily a "special car" simply doesn't fit with me.
Again, You are 100% correct Mike but doesn't it feel good to have an Iconic motor at ones disposal 24/7 though? If I had a fiver for all the times I'd heard Mates say "I wish I'd been in My M3/Supra/Lancer Evo/Lotus, etc Today on the Blah-blah-blah instead of in the Wife's Mondeo/Zafira/Passat, etc" Stories....I'd be a pretty rich Fella indeed! How many missed opportunities do we have being on the right Road at the right time but in utterly the wrong vehicle to create truly exciting or intoxicating memorable experiences.

Don't get Me wrong here, I've had loads of giggles and a $hit ton of fun in many different types of vehicles over the past 27 Years but its the Skylines overall package of reliability, drivability and performance usability which keeps Me entertained with such excitement even after all of these Years. Its just a real shame that You seem to have fallen out of love with Your old GT-R Mike.

I'll come back round to cars when I'm older no doubt, but for now I can have as much fun in ANY car as I want.
And I do hope that You do return one day too Mike! We are all heavily influenced by Our Parents whether We like it or not and without exposure to any performance machinery, Future Generations of Petrol heads would just simply die out. Its Our personal passions and enthusiasm that ignites the flames for aspirational Kids who dream of one day Owning their Own performance Icon to ultimately turn their Youthful dreams into reality.

JM2PW! :)

·
Administrator
31,521 Posts
Mook is just salty he sold his 33 and everyone else is enjoying theres ;)

btw why does it say your location is canada?
I genuinely am not, I don't miss it at all, and it was my dream car. Maybe I'm not the right person to fight this fight because i have genuinely lost interest in cars over the past 10 years. I love driving and having fun in ANY car. I'm sure if I had to Lap Cadwell on my commute I'd appreciate something more focused, but the fact is finding a cars limits is half the fun, and all cars have that potential.

Mook.

p.s. VPN for work

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mook is just salty he sold his 33 and everyone else is enjoying theres ;)

btw why does it say your location is canada?
I think the man is getting older. Since when is a TDi Passat fun?

Just enjoy what you bought and take it outside for rides since eventually someone will pick it up and stretch out her legs after you. That was the whole purpose of a car being built, not to sit as a museum spec in the garage while polishing it every single Saturday.

·
Registered
273 Posts
When you know how to drive.
Poop fumes from changing all the kids dirty nappies or is the lockdown making you lose your marbles? A Passat is fun? Never heard/seen "Passat" and "fun" in the same sentence until now. I've driven a new Passat and Jetta before Mook, there is no way in hell you enjoyed driving that. I think you're trying to justify your selling of the R33. Next I'm going to hear how a Camry is a better to drive than a Ferrari. Madness.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Well, you're not going to believe this but there was this one time when I was driving up the Stelvio Pass in my Camry and this Ferrari tried keeping up with me and........

·
Administrator
31,521 Posts
Poop fumes from changing all the kids dirty nappies or is the lockdown making you lose your marbles? A Passat is fun? Never heard/seen "Passat" and "fun" in the same sentence until now. I've driven a new Passat and Jetta before Mook, there is no way in hell you enjoyed driving that. I think you're trying to justify your selling of the R33. Next I'm going to hear how a Camry is a better to drive than a Ferrari. Madness.
Then that simply reinforces my thoughts that you're all talk. You talk about cars like they're High School cheerleaders and that the Jocks that "get with them" don't deserve them. They need a proper man like you.

Well guess what, not all girls are Cheerleaders but you can have a hell of a lot of fun with them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Then that simply reinforces my thoughts that you're all talk. You talk about cars like they're High School cheerleaders and that the Jocks that "get with them" don't deserve them. They need a proper man like you.

Well guess what, not all girls are Cheerleaders but you can have a hell of a lot of fun with them.
You've gone mad Mike. How am I all talk? I redid my whole bumper, redid the whole interior, removed all the dings, and many other things to my car to make it posh. I'm not going to keep it in the garage so it could be clean. I'm enjoying the hell out of it by driving it whenever I can.

You've got the analogy backwards, Mook. The simp buys that girl and doesn't do anything with her because she is perfect. He doesn't take her to bed to stretch her legs, all he does is polish her and stare at her. Eventually a jock will come along, buy her, and then take her out for a real ride.

You've got guys like Sean enjoying the hell out of his R33, even with some imperfections. That is all fixable and makes the ownership much more fun when the time comes to repair anything, instead of sitting all day and polishing it every weekend so it looks like a "showroom" spec. Would you take a Lamborghini out just once a month, or drive it whenever you have the chance? I sure would take it out as much as I can. Everything is fixable. But if you look at the financials more than the enjoyment, then I don't know how you can enjoy a car that way. Half full instead of half empty.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts

Just for the sake of balance, I don't believe G-Zilla is saying that at all Mike. What I interpreted from the conversation is that Cars (no matter what they are in their most basic forms) are purely Transport to get You from Destination "A" along to to Destination "B" alive.

Some of these can do the job more quickly than others whilst others may be slower but can do so in a more comfortable luxurious fashion. Luckily there is a Vehicle available for all budgets if Speed nor Luxury or even Desirability is ones top priority in Life.

Regardless of personal emotions, Motor Vehicles of all descriptions are mostly designed to move People to different places around the World. In this regard I think David is talking about how its a real shame to Own a performance based machine and to rarely if ever use it to its engineered full potential. Yes, Rare or Exotic Cars can have some pretty mind blowing values attached to them but it still doesn't change the fact that a "Trailer Queen" or "Museum Piece" sitting unused is a true shame to the die hard Car nut.

We are not alone in this belief. This is why the Goodwood Festival of Speed and other Automotive based events are so popular with anyone who has got a slither of Petrol oozing through their veins as the urge to see fabulous technology from all ages being Driven spiritedly and Raced around such Historic Tracks is simply undeniable!

Yes, You can have a Fun and a Spirited Drive in a Diesel Volkwagen Passat but such mundane journeys Mike are not what the majority of Us Car Enthusiasts get excited enough to rush around afterwards to tell Our Friends or Family about.

What does get the Heart pumping and the adrenaline flowing is when We normal everyday Folks get to experience something out of the normal like dare I say a Ferrari F430 or even a Skyline GT-R which not only puts a smile on Our Faces thanks to the noises and feel but also creates a Story and lasting Memory that We'd then like to share with Our Loved/Chosen ones about this adventure.

It takes all sorts to make this World we live in. We seem to forget, Just because one person doesn't 100% agree with another doesn't mean either should really belittle anyone else's opinions nor should they try to publically cancel them either. This is what's going wrong Today, Nobody seems to have any patience or are even willing to give some time in discussions to fully explore another Persons point of view even if they don't successfully change their Minds after listening to the opposing argument.

Remember, You can both be right and also both be wrong depending on the Forum subject Readers Own opinions, subject interpretation or personal point of view.

JM2PW!:)

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
K66 SKY makes some great points there, and I agree with his reasoning. I also come from the camp that it's nice to see cars being used. That said, I don't always practice what I preach. For example, I 've got one of the very last (possibly last per Fiat GB) for sale Fiat Barchetta's ( bought late in 2005) and it's probably one of the lowest mileage B's in the UK. Is it worth a lot? No. Is it rare? Not really, worldwide. BUT a car is only original once, and I want to keep it the best example so it sits in its little carcoon covered in soft cloths etc etc in storage. When I check on it, sit in it, it's like brand new, and smells new. Other collectors rebuild their cars and yes they look nice, but they aren't to me the same i.e. not original, not really. And yet I drive my R35 daily and love it to bits too. Worth much much more than the Fiat but just love driving it. You can be both types then (garage queen/daily driver). The fact we are all on, and using this forum, suggests we are all car nuts. Whatever floats your boat, enjoy your cars how you want 💪👍

41 - 52 of 52 Posts