GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend is setting up a quarter mile race for me and his cousin's 450-500hp rx-7? (1100kg....claimed)

i hvn't done any dyno test to my car yet.
do i get any chance in winning?

i tried timing myself with my blitz ID meter once....it was 12.6 sec without the vx-rom fitted.

my car spec. can be seen below:
http://homepage.mac.com/siumeigo/

wat will be the estimated quarter mile time?

michael.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
theory must say the big power lightweight RX but I reckon in practise you'll get him, it is all about the pull away and there is no way you can be as agressive at the launch in a 1200 kg 2wd car, you will get a couple of revolutions of rear wheel spin and then go, your mate will have to take it easy off of the line which should give you what you need to get the headstart.

I saw lots of RX-7's at the Pod and none of them got below 13 when I was watching.... but then I don't think they were claiming 500bhp.

it will be fun whatever the outcome.
good luck
/Steve

ps can you video it for the forum ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
0-400M

hi steve,

tks. for your analysis.

if i don't remember wrong, our cars hv similar mods.

wat's your best time in quarter mile???
wat's your dyno results??? hp & torque.

tks.

michael.

ps. i'll film that for sure.
:smokin:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have trust front pipes,HKS de-cat, HKS super drager tail.
HKS super powerflow airfilter and Abbey ECU with the boost set to 1 bar.
Oil cooler
Nismo single plate clutch.
HKS lowering springs.

My best 1/4 mile time was on Monday 12.7 @ 113 if I remember rightly...

dunno about power though, estimates in the realm of 350-400 but the dyno day will show...

have fun

/Steve

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o-400m

hi steve,

i hv arc intercooler, radiatior, hks oil cooler, hks dump valve, apexi induction kit, nismo single plate clutch, TEIN shocks & springs, EVC set to 1.1 bar & Mine's Vx Rom.

very very similar mods i'd say....

pls. let me know your dyno results for my reference.

michael.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
RX-7

Hello Michael.

when we did some top speed/ 1/4 mile runs some weeks ago with the 200 SX club there was a heavilly modifyed RX7 (purple in colour) which did ,from memory a 12.8 sec 1/4 mile. I don't know the exact specs but if you do a search for that event I believe there is a link as to the times of the cars somewhere.

We have Dirk Diggler with probably 450 bhp doing 1/4 miles in approx 12.3.It has a lot to do with the gear changes as well !

I believe you'll have him if you get a good launch . I mean is it a fact he has 450-500 bhp or a guestimate ?

Good luck ,and don't let the side down....:) ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RX7

hello paul,

dat rx-7 claimed to be one of those pace car in a grand prix in macau (near hk) a few years back....so i guess its hp figure shouldn't be too much off that 450hp mark........but the car is definitely older than my 97....

oh well, i hope i can beat him just like i beat the mildly tuned evo. 6...
(before the vx-rom was fitted)

i'll try my best...

:cool:

michael.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hong Kong ;)

Michael,

I will be out in HK in May visiting my g - friends family and would love to meet up and see what the scene is like.

Drop me an e - mail if you fancy showing a Englishman the ' performance nightlife ' ... I'll let you know the dates.

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hi Michael,

Very nice R33 GTR you got there!

I am a genuine HK guy too, I was born and rise in HK, now I am living in the US.

Got a question for you, how do you like the ARC product, especially the airbox........what's your opinion on it? I am thinking about putting some ARC product on my GTR.

Thanks ahead,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Michael,

I was checking out the pictures on your site, is your exhaust system from ARC also, it looks like it.

How does your exhaust sounds? You like it? Is it really loud?

Jeff

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have seen alot of RX7's with alot of HP.. but most of them at the drags didn't do anything to amazing.

One was said to do 10's.. but 12's was all he managed.
Our near stock GTR pulled off an 11.6 ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ARC

hello jeff,

i think i had 4 items from ARC....the titan shift knob, airbox, intercooler & exhaust.

i removed my ARC air box and used the apexi mushrooms instead after reading some induction kit comparison test...

For my exhaust, it's just as quiet as stock when i'm not pushing the car......but when it gets higher than 5000rpm, you won't believe how nice it sounds ....(most hk GTRs use N! type exhaust and you can hear them coming from 2 blocks away) my exhaust kit starts from the header....no cat...full titanium......but one thing i don't like is the middle section of the pipe which is lower than most jap. made exhaust which restrict me from lowering my car too much......other than that i'm very happy with it.

(maybe u shud try mine's titan exhaust....i heard it's the best now)

if you ask me if i like the airbox, i'd say i like the outlook of it and i also like the low rpm response.....but for mid to high end punch, i'll stick with my apexi.

hope it helps.

michael.

Ben, i did 12.6sec before my ecu was fitted....hvn't tested my car since then.....i may go test it tonite and i hope i won't fry my clutch before the race.

:smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the response :)

I am surprise to hear that the ARC titan exhaust is quiet during normal driving, as someone told me they are loud before. I am considering between the ARC and the Mine's Titan exhaust.

Your response on the airbox make me think again. As I like the look of the ARC box, but if the high end power is not that great, it is no good. :rolleyes:

Good luck on your race with the RX7, don't forget to make a movie clip for us to watch how much you beat him by :D

Jeff

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
result

just heard somemore info. about that 450hp rx-7......it has something called "mis-firing" system..........anyone knows what the heck is that? and his car's rev limit is 11,000rpm......(race chip equipped)

:eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
"mis-firing" system or Antilag. When the car is sitting there waiting to launch it changes the timing and spits raw fuel out the exaust and this causes the Exaust wheel to start spinning on the Turbo..

So off the line he can have as much boost as he likes... don't worry 4WD will eat him! and his turbo will drop off :smokin:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
acutally he called last nite and said that he had only been lost to 3 GTRs and all of them had over 600hp on wheel......he said that if i'm not gonna race him, he'll put back the "street" chip instead of the 11,000rpm "race" chip....i'm a little nervous here..........don't wanna race a monster and then fried my clutch....

oh well....once i get my new clutch, i'll just give it a try....wat the heck.....not too far from now i promise....but don't expect anything from me as that car is 1180kg in weight and had several 11 sec run.......aluminum body & engine.....race prep....plus that watever "misfiring system".............blah blah blan........one more info, that car doesn't have a "proper" exhaust.......

:(

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Race

Michael if you lose you will be banished to........Only joking mate.

I think this guy might be trying to demoralise you like what boxers do before a big fight. :) . It's all part of the 'game' .

Just do your best and above all keep your confidence up . You are driving a Skyline after all .;) .

Bon chance...........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts