GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this wonderful experience lastnite.

There were couple of tuned Evo6 & 7 at a Evo gathering. I was supposed to go there and watch them race 0-400 run. After an hour or so, i was kinda bored so i picked one of the Evo 6 to race my Vspec. All Evo owners were shocked....(there were 20+ Evo(s) and 2 R33 only)

So we pulled out to the road, standing side by side.

My car has apex intake, arc full titan straight pipe + exhaust , decat, stock ecu, evc 1.1bar, intercooloer, oil cooler, blow off valves, nismo single plate clutch - below 350ps i think....

Evo 6 has all the above plus ralliart race spec ecu, injectors, headers and ultralight alloys (6kg/rim) with r compound tires, twin plate clutch, light flywheel....etc.

1st to 2nd gear : side by side spinning till 8000rpm
2nd to 3rd gear : i was ahead of him by 2 car lengths
3rd to 4th gear : i was ahead by 6 or 7 car lengths i think...coz i can see him in my rear mirror.....

Result is that i reached about 180km+ but i forgot to time coz i was too nervous. After that, i was just too happy and drove myself home.

What kinda cars can beat a mildly tuned GTR on 0-400....
before evc was installed, i was running at 0.96bar andi did 12.6 sec.
dunno wat time i got last nite.

My next targets will be 993 Turbo, 996 Turbo, 360 Modena, 355 F1, new m3, m5, z3m???

Am i out of my mind or is it possible that i can beat one of the above.
Has any one of u raced any of the above on 0-400?

What was the result...?

PS. Some Evo owners requested me to stay and race all their cars and i sad that my clutch wasn't going to last that long ....

I was a real bastard last nite........but i'm happy here......
:smokin:

wish i can post the video up here to share.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Congratulations

You will have to go back and see if anybody took a video of you and post it up on a board somewhere.
Me thinks you are making more than 350 with that lot installed but the clutch definately gave you an edge.
I have had a single plate fitted in mine recently (Cusco) and the traction off the line has improved no end.
I take it there were no police that attend these meets then unlike here.
If you can find a vid let me know?
Best regards

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice One

Hi Michael,

Sounds like you had fun. I have had quite a few run-ins in my Tuned R34 (500BHP), I also had a 996 Turbo for a year and I borrowed a 360 Modena for a few days. A 0-400 drag start with the 996TT would of been a problem, even with my 550BHP I would think that the 996TT would of stayed up even with me to 400 meters. After that I think that the 996TT would evetually pull out a lead at around 230km/240km and then smoke me as it gets to 300km.

As for the 360, I would not worry. For something that has 400+ BHP I think it's fairly slow. Ferrari lent me a car for the weekend and I spent most of my time driving thru tunnels with the windows down and when I was not getting cautioned by the police for doing doughnuts in empty supermarket car parkw I was drag racing my friends Subaru's, Porsches and Evo's. I had problems keeping up with the tuned Evo's and Scoobys and I even had the F1 paddles.

/Dan

·
Registered
84 Posts
993Turbo

Well, for a start the majority of them do not have 4-wheel drive so you have an advantage. You should pull out a slight lead but eventually he will reel you in. The best thing is to drag start him in the wet.

:)

·
Banned
349 Posts
996tt v Skyline

I've been up against 993t's, 996tt, 360's 355 ect on various track days and have always won by being quicker through the twisty stuff (especially in the wet).

The 996tt is marginally quicker on the straits but are harder for most drivers to turn in quickly because of the light steering feel the porche has which makes an average driver think that understeer is present before it actually is. I'm sure though that if a really good driver was in a 996tt it may be slightly quicker than the Skyline? Who really knows?

I would think that a 550bhp Skyline would wupp it on a track though.

As for the Ferrari's I agree with redback they are great cars but not worth the money or as quick as the skyline.

Jamie.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lap Times

Hiya Jaime,

I have done a lot of laps both at Zoldar and at the Ring in my 996TT and the 550 Skyline. I cannot yet lap faster in my Skyline at Zoldar then the 996TT in the dry, in the wet it becomes a whole different story. The Skyline whoops just about anything in the wet, a few weeks ago I was dicing at Zoldar with a Evo 6 on Wets, initially I did not know this at almost crashed trying to keep up with him. As soon as started getting smoother and caring less about catching him I started gaining and eventually I could of passed him. A better driver should of smoked me on Wets but it shows you just how good the Skylines are in the dry.

At the Ring things are slightly different, right now I am having to run 1.0 Bar on the ring so I am still lapping slower in the dry in the R34 than I did in the 996TT, eventually as I get used to the car I will add boost and I think eventually I will lap faster. Same story as Zoldar in the wet, the Skyline is AWESOME. You just better get used to catching the oversteer and drift around the bends.

The 996TT is arguably the fastest production car on ‘Normal’ roads (except Caterhams etc). Anything in standard form that can lap 7,46 at the Ring is very fast! Also the Porsche by have less power but it also weighs less and has a much better Torque curve. On the Track I bounce my R34 between 5,000 and 7,800 anywhere else just aint worth it.

I have had to spend on the R34 almost as much as it cost me to buy a new 996TT, I hope eventually I will tame the beast and the R34 will eat the 996TT but it aint gonna happen anytime soon.

/Dan

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
redback911...you should try spending your money on a decent suspension system for the GTR. If you have 550bhp and still running the original suspension setup then you are not really getting 100% from your mods. Power is useful to a certain extent, but if you want to shave crucial seconds off you lap times then a nice set uf shoks is needed. Have a look at Ohlins, they make some of the best(...and most expensive) systems, or maybe some of the Japanese stuff out there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Suspension

Hiya DCD,

Absolutely, I have a Nismo set waiting for me at Middlehurst. I just have not been able to get their to have it fitted. I had a few friends drive the R34 (including Dirk Schoysman and it the consensus is that the suspension is inadequate another reason dor 1.0 Bar at the Ring). It's just I had problems finding a buyer for my kydney.

/Dan

;)

·
Banned
349 Posts
Hi Dan,

I agree with your findings...

The standard v-spec suspension is great in the wet and I to have never been overtaken in the wet except for cars on special tyre's, however, as you know, there's no milage in ringing the Skylines neck in the wet as it makes you slower, smooth is best way, don't you just love the way the 4wd comes alive in the wet, it really has to earn it's keep.

Having raced against a 996tt I agree with you the Skyline looses out on sheer torque pulling out of sub 50mph bends and the porche pull's ahead slightly up through the gears (my car is 380bhp) the skyline pulls back a bit as speed builds and you get between 5 to 7.5 grand. Plus the Porche brakes are better and have less work to do than the Skyline's Brembo's so he can brake later. However in my opinion you can turn the Skyline in at slighly higher speed and depending on your nerve get on the power earlier which helps to combat the 996's strengths. Also, what alot of people forget is that the Skyline is designed to require less effort from the driver than in the Porche at equivalent speed. Therefore after 4 laps of pressuring the Porche he made a massive mistake and out braked himself at Druids so I went through on the inside, he then couldn't catch me. On balance though he wasn't the most talented driver in the world and I would have probably beaten him if we swaped cars.

What I will say is that for all round track day fun, high speed, and relatively low cost the Skyline is a safe bet for all conditions.

I had Ohlin's by the way on my 32 and they where brilliant, I may play with the 34 suspension soon.

JM.

·
Banned
349 Posts
PLUS...........

The 996 is quicker at the ring because it's aerodynamics are better suited to the high speed straits (of which there are many) so the 996 can see about 5 to 10 more clicks at equivalent points. Add that together over 14 miles and thats where the time comes from, not neccessaraly because the car is going round the corners quicker. So at brands hatch or Silverstone or any sub 145mph track there's not much in it.

Think of it another way, if you put a Hollinger 6 speed sequential in your 550bhp 34 you'd be quicker than the 996 because you could change up without coming out of boost! and.... you could brake later due to more consistent engine braking. It's all down to personal preference at this level and I bet if you were only allowed either the 996 or the 34 for the rest of your life you'd choose the 34?

JM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts