GTR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For arguement's sake, let's say mine does the above in 5.0 secs.
Can anyone tell me what difference an average sized passenger makes to this figure ?
Or two passengers ?
Or a full tank of gas ?
Just curious.
I remember years ago, I had an MGB and one extra person didn't half make a difference. Different scale, I know, but the same principal.
Any ideas ? Or even better, any actual facts & figures ?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please,
Someone must have an opinion !
Especially those guys who do standing quarters. What difference does weight make to a drag?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
One person can make a big difference to power/weight ratio. It basically lowers the ratio by ~5% for one person (depending on size of person etc) in a GT-R. It also depends on the original weight of the car. It makes more of a difference in a small light car.

As an example suppose your GT-R weight 1500kg and has 300bhp then PW ratio is 200bhp/tonnes. If you add a tank of juice and an average man and bring the weight up to 1600kg the PWR is now 187.5bhp/tonnes which is the same as having only about 280bhp in the 1500kg car. So adding 100kg is the same taking 20bhp of the engine and of course the torque across the range. It is enough to make a spot-able difference.

It makes even more of a difference to the handling IMHO as with a passenger the car does not feel as nimble to me.

Saving weight has huge benefits that are often overlooked - removing the aircon can usually save about 20kg to 30kg alone!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts