GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard anything about removing the bronze valve on the boost solenoid control on the R33.

Apparently gives 1.0 bar boost.

Does this work and how reliable is it.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
This will increase boost to 1.0 bar or even above but running at a higher boost level for any length of time will mean that you'll run the risk of blowing a piston. Running higher boost requires you to be able to increase fuelling or you will end up with serious detonation. Do you have an after market ecu?

Having said that, I did try it on mine in early days just for one run, I think it was the start of my GT-R addiction.... ;)

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i bought it 2nd hand and apparently it had the Nissan 350BHP upgrade. Don't know if that means an uprated ECU.

So how do you get the fire from the exhuast. Mine backfires aswell after releasing the throttle. Haven't had anyone behind to tell me if fire comes out!!! Mines decatted and has a NISMO exhaust system.

·
Registered
720 Posts
To be safe advance the timing a couple of more degrees and reduce the plug gap a little, this will give the engine a much less chance of detonating. The stock ECU will be able to fuel the car OK providing you do this.

Jason.

·
Registered
961 Posts
technicly its called after fire!
back fire is back up where it came from !
sit in a dark area when the cars lovley and warm and rev it up quite high and lift of real quick and ,presto a flame and youll see the area your in light up !

ps; dont do it in a garage with the door closed youll kill your self !
:)

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
jrpidgeon said:
To be safe advance the timing a couple of more degrees and reduce the plug gap a little, this will give the engine a much less chance of detonating. The stock ECU will be able to fuel the car OK providing you do this.

Jason.
Jason,

Don't you mean retard the timing a couple of degrees? Never heard that about the plug gap. Reducing the gap can help the spark under higher boost levels but won't (AFAIK) do anything about det.

If the car is fitted with a Nismo 350 bhp upgrade (whatever form that takes) I would guess that would include an ecu which would be mapped to suit the incraesed boost....?

Peter.

3,665 Posts
Ignition timing

Peter,
totally agree about the ignition timing. DO NOT ADVANCE THE TIMING FROM THE STANDARD FACTORY TIMING. the cars have detonation troubles using U.K spec super unleaded running standard ignition timing.
If you reduce the plug gap you stand the chance of reducing the spark performance. All the performaance spark plugs come gapped at the correct measurement.

ABBEY MOTORSPORT

·
Registered
312 Posts
Flames!

Rupert,

For every portion of burnt fuel in the engine their is a portion of "unburnt" fuel also! which is what ultimately causes the "flames", the closer the car is running towards exact fuelling the less flames you will produce.
My advice is give Rod Bell a ring, as mine used to flames loads, but flames very little now...

HTH

Stu

Rod's No. 01704 822848

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Re: Ignition timing

Abbey M/S said:
Peter,
totally agree about the ignition timing. DO NOT ADVANCE THE TIMING FROM THE STANDARD FACTORY TIMING.
ABBEY MOTORSPORT
Mark,

Cheers, can I have that job now? :)

You're obviously correct about the plug gap but I had heard that some of the hotter plugs have a smaller gap clearance <1.1mm than standard plugs so guessed that this may be something which would help standard plugs work better under higher boost.

At the end of the day, you need the proper kit don't you which also applies to the original question in this thread. There aren't many short cuts when it comes to tuning, do the job properly with the proper kit fitted by the proper people. Anything else will probably cost you more in the long term.

Peter.

·
Registered
492 Posts
only kidding...

Stu,

It was a bit of an in joke between me and Abbey. It was running very rich whilst being run in...

Ruper

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thanks Peter / Mark, I was thinking down the lines of him having hotter plugs anyway being a 350 BHP upgrade (whatever that consists of?). Point taken reference the ignition timing, I guess I'm still a little over optamistic when it comes to DET (having some bad / expensive experiences in the past). If I ever increase the boost now, I always advance the timing a little 'take it out for a run' and adjust the timing back from there. As you said Peter it probably has a different ECU anyway being a '350 upgrade'.

Best regards,

Jason.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Jason,

" If I ever increase the boost now, I always advance the timing a little 'take it out for a run' and adjust the timing back from there."

I hope you meant to type retard the timing instead of advance. ??

this would explain the expensive mistakes !!

/Steve

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I quite like the idea of flames coming out the back, however I was under the impression flames = running rich = incorrectly tuned?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The way I have been explained the flameout phenomenon is that when you are pushing hard and ease off a little squirt of raw fuel goes straight through as you easing off causes there to be a brief period when the car overfuels.

this excess of unburnt fuel then re ignites on contact with the hot exhaust and gases within it resuling in a flame.

if there were flames coming out constantly then you would be running way too rich.

you should be able to hear the car popping on overrun.
this is one of the many little things that add up to the Skyline being a grin maker !!

take it easy
/Steve

·
Registered
805 Posts
Flaming Skylines

There's the flame grilled whoppers, Gary, PeterE and others... and there's this, not enough to toast a gnat :), but hey ! the Taxi's engine is only a third of Gary's and half of Peter's, although I'm still not sure if it eminated from the exhaust or the passenger.. no names mentioned :)

But I just love that sound :D Clip

RonS

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SteveC said:
The way I have been explained the flameout phenomenon is that when you are pushing hard and ease off a little squirt of raw fuel goes straight through as you easing off causes there to be a brief period when the car overfuels.

this excess of unburnt fuel then re ignites on contact with the hot exhaust and gases within it resuling in a flame.

if there were flames coming out constantly then you would be running way too rich.

you should be able to hear the car popping on overrun.
this is one of the many little things that add up to the Skyline being a grin maker !!

take it easy
/Steve
Thats exactly what mine does!!! makes me grin!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts