GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Given that many of us GTR owners are now out of warranty, or fast approaching the end of it, it seems that modding has become hugely popular from what I can see on the forums. The projects section is testament to this and despite my own big power build (i say big, 850 seems like the new norm), I cant help but think that these power builds are losing sight of the essence of the GTR.

Yes the GTR does lend itself well to achieving 1000bhp and performing ridiculous 1/4 mile times, I also think what was so impressive about the car when it was first launched is the whole package, the power, the grip, the stability, the steering. The car navigates a track very well and this is what impressed us all so much.

I cant say that my gtr is hugely balanced, but I think after the engine build future mods will be one's that will improve the cars track time not straight line performance. Alcon BBK is high up my list as I think these will outperform the dixcels I have, diff braces might be worthwhile, the GTC wing group buy looked tempting but it would need to be in conjunction with some front downforce add-ons. What else have people added that have improved the cars other performance characteristics (i have the litchfields suspension and that seems to be a popular one).

Keen to know what others think? How high/low down the priority list is big power in comparison to other mods.

H

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
I totally agree which is why my big power build will only be compete when I have faster than stock spool and response.

I've done the suspension and the Alcon bbk. I can't see myself ever oing aero mods as I don't trust the development.

It depends what excites you though. If you get your kicks drag racing, why once the car to remain a more focused track weapon.

Personally i prefer a jack f all trades, even if the gtr as standard is a master of the track. It's one of the reasons I can't find a better car. Consider the totb events, it's capable of winning any and all of them. Few other cars are.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Exactly that, the GTR is so good, because it can do it all.... its why I bought mine. Its a great GT road car, great on the track, half decent on the 1/4 mile and top speed events.

I would happily drive it over to Europe to run around a track and then drive it back. Not many other cars I could consider doing that with.

It is one of the reasons I have stopped at stage 4.... I am VERY tempted by the next stage up, but I dont want to lose what makes the car great.... oh yes and it starts to get pretty expensive :) But brakes, suspension, wheels and tyres and aero (nervous about this) are high on my list

One car to do it all.... inspiration from the Porsche world:-
One Car to Do It All on Vimeo

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
totally agree for the most part. I do wish it looked better on the outside and better interior on the inside. not saying its bad looking either. but would be perfect if the looks matched the performance.

dear i say it, i wish i had more drama before getting up to silly speeds.

cough 200kg lighter cough ..

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
The good thing about the GT-R is it's breadth of capability.

I don't get kicks out of the dragstrip much, but do love track days.
That's why my car is set up the way it is.
It's too easy to drive fast in a straight line unless you have mad/expensive mods. Half a dozen times near stock and the novely wore off.

But what I really like to see is GT-Rs getting used as they were designed to be.
I don't see the point of upgrading your car to 800bhp and only ever using it on the road.

It's a car to be used, not just boasted about down the pub. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
The good thing about the GT-R is it's breadth of capability.

I don't get kicks out of the dragstrip much, but do love track days.
That's why my car is set up the way it is.
It's too easy to drive fast in a straight line unless you have mad/expensive mods. Half a dozen times near stock and the novely wore off.

But what I really like to see is GT-Rs getting used as they were designed to be.
I don't see the point of upgrading your car to 800bhp and only ever using it on the road.

It's a car to be used, not just boasted about down the pub. :)
I couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Totally agree.

With that in mind I am considering the following upgrades (over time)

Russ Fellows / Akrapovik Full system (resonated y-pipe) quiet enough to get on tracks.

Stage 2 with map for above (Ecutek or Cobb??)

Gearbox Cooler (which one??)

Alcon big brake kit

Litchfield suspension (does this also improve road handling or is it track orientated??)

Does this seem like a sensible order for the upgrades. Any comments appreciated.

Where's the best place to go for this work in the newcastle area (jm-imports seem to get good reviews).

Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Totally agree.

Russ Fellows / Akrapovik Full system (resonated y-pipe) quiet enough to get on tracks.
Stage 2 with map for above (Ecutek)
Alcon big brake kit
Litchfield suspension (does this also improve road handling or is it track orientated??)
That's my car, other than a different exhaust and have not commited to the suspension kit yet.
My gearbox cooler is a HKS one and I'm running on Ecutek.

It was a bit smokey, but version two made it a lot better, doesn't bother me any more.
Looking forward to seeing how version 3 is. :)

JM imports sound like the best place, with your location and plans.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Keep it a well rounded and balanced car as it is a road car, but upping performance on a regular basis so its still competitive on the track and the strip....4 years into ownership still not bored....GTR is a keeper :smokin:

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Keep it a well rounded and balanced car as it is a road car, but upping performance on a regular basis so its still competitive on the track and the strip....4 years into ownership still not bored....GTR is a keeper :smokin:
Im coming up to 2 years :D and agree - absolute keeper!!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Totally agree.

Alcon big brake kit

Does this seem like a sensible order for the upgrades. Any comments appreciated.

Where's the best place to go for this work in the newcastle area (jm-imports seem to get good reviews).

Cheers
Give Jurgen a call mate, he's very helpful. PM me if you want to chat through some options :cool:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Will always be a personal thing, look at the history of the of skylines, big power tuning goes hand in hand, there will always be people pushing the limits for lap times and drag times.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Totally agree.

Alcon big brake kit

Cheers
welcome to the forum if you need anthying advice, servicing or mods..

we can help ;-)

we can cater for all parts and also all ecus.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all,

Interesting responses, it seems the people who posted share similar views to me and those who don't, didn't post. I am quite excited about the syvecs ecu being planned for my car, at first I was apprehensive because I think the ecutek does a perfectly good job, but the more I read about it the more excited I am about it. I know some people say that the electronics on the GTR interfere with the driving experience but I dont share that opinion. My next upgrade after the engine work will definitely be the BBK kit, I have been holding off on it for some time, I keep thinking it a lot of money when I shelled out for the dixcel discs and pads, but It sounds like its a much better performing package and in hindsight maybe I should have gone straight to the BBK. Reluctant to change until the disks are shot but that little voice in my head keeps telling me not to be a baby and go for it.

The litchfield suspension definitely feels faster on race setting than the original setup, I dont have track evidence of this though.

H

1 - 14 of 14 Posts