GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow is all i can say, i love this car, i got a 1991 Skyline GTR and what a blast, fully stock except for a 3" nismo spark plugs and what i think is a nismo airbox. So here are my questions, i searched for wtvr other info i needed but still conflicting info regarding these question....

#1 What is the stock airbox made of? Mine is metal and has a S-tune sticked on it hence when i wanna know if its aftermarket or not.

#2 Turbo dump pipes: How benefficial are these? I might do em at the same time as my downpipe/testpipe but they look like a pain to install. How long should it take for a mechanic to put those on and are they really worth iton such a light tune?

#3 Boost Control: what are you guys running. I have read remove the restrictor.....WHAT RESTRICTOR? I plan on running 10-12 psi since i heard 1 Bar is the limt and i rather be safe. What is to you daily driving safe limit on 94 octane?

#4 assuming i do run an EBC should i just remove the Boost solenoid and use to vaccuum lines as my sources?

#5 What are all you guys doing for Blow off valves? i see 500-600$ HKS SSQV kits all over but those are out of my budget to be honnest. I just want something that sounds decent and dont mind running Cheapo BOVs as long as they are decent. The flange and mounting is what throws me off completely...

I think thats all the info i need for now. Thx in advance for everyone's help

·
Registered
391 Posts
Slow down, enjoy the car, read the forum and learn first.

As a rough guide, forget the blow off pipe, Skylines do not work well with aftermarket valves unless fully recirculating so leave them alone, why do you want it to sound like a Imprezza anyway?

Octane booster is a must with 94 ron fuel use 97 only and then with a booster or you will seriously cause problems,

Restrictor... dont go there yet.

Welcome to th e club and enjoy the car for a while, read the forum posts and possibly meet other members.

So many new people on here buy a Skyline, buy tuning bits and then a month later, or less, its up for parts breaking because they have blown it or or wrapped it around an Armco,

Take your time, walk first, dont run blindly these are expensive and dangerous toys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:) i know but problem is the car to me lacks something, its quick, its pwoerful but still needs an extra 100HP. Not new to the high HP world as this is my daily driver. I will be staying away from Bov and raising boost until i get a proper fuel computer though
thx for all your help

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
1. Unless it's huge and silver and has ARC written on it, its a standard airbox. Possibly with an aftermarket filter element inside.

2. You mean turbo elbows? I dont think you can get to both of them without removing one or possibly both of the turbos, so its one to do when you change / refurb the turbos, not when you change the downpipes :)

3. The answer to the restrictor question is well documented on here, a search will reveal the answers. Secondly, DO NOT run your car on 94 octane petrol, because you'll kill it. Optimax only unless you're running a specific fuel map for crappy petrol!

4. No, run it that way and you'll get 0.5bar. Read the instruction manual on the boost controller and it'll tell you how to do it :)

5. Seriously, dont bother. But if you have to - Blitz DVs get about the best write-up on here. I personally use them and havent had any problems, but my preference would be to run without them. I havent on this one purely for other people's peace of mind as Im selling the car :clap:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Pikey howeveri know the turbo elbows can be done
oh and 94is all i can get here i think its equivalent to 97 octane in your sideof the world :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts