·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scw02102 said:
if u did a 10 sec 118mph isnt possible 1/4mile

you would be more like 130+mph

most likely 1/8mile?
I dont think it is a 1/8 mile i think the skyline is in 4th gear ?

Keith

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Just want to add aquestion to this (sorry if it steers it slight off track, but how come 2 cars that cross the line at the same point can be travelling at (grossly) different speeds??

The answer's probably simple:nervous: :eek: :nervous: but I never was a whizz at physics

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Its when you have to cross the line without power:bawling: I ran a [email protected] MPH because of gear trouble. A quick car that one then, if all went well he would be in the 9secs

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
MADsteve said:
Just want to add aquestion to this (sorry if it steers it slight off track, but how come 2 cars that cross the line at the same point can be travelling at (grossly) different speeds??

The answer's probably simple:nervous: :eek: :nervous: but I never was a whizz at physics
One way it happens is that one car, (for example the lower powered of the two), gets a pretty decent start, and heads off up the strip. The second car, (for example with more power, perhaps big single turbo and tripple plate clutch), launches at a similar time but drops the clutch in too quick and bogs the engine down.

Car 2 then takes a second or two to finish lurching around, build up boost and get the car going properly again, and takes off after car 1. Cos there's more power he catches up car 1 pretty quick, but 'cos car 1 was quite far ahead he only catches him at the finish line.

At the 1/4 mile point the ETs are the same, but the terminal speeds are massively different.

I experienced this at my first trip to the Pod, where I was the muppet with the big single and the tripple plate lurching about off boost, and the M3 got away cleanly. :rolleyes: Only happened once though, and I did just manage to catch him on that occasion, so saved face for Skylines. :)

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Whats wrong with 10.6 at 118?

Thats possible. Ive seen low 10s at that speed, hell, ive seen cars in the 8s only running 130mph terminals.

People seem to forget about launching and just think towards power power power.

If miss a gear or have a prob and let off when doing a properly storming run its possible that way too.

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
its all about acceleration. obviously

the easiest way to look at it is the go karts and scooters that sometimes run

they can cross the line with a terminal of only maybe 50mph, but because they hit that top speeed in just a couple of seconds, they are travelling at a high speed for longer

a car racing them, may take 4 times as long to hit 50mph, and cross the line at 100mph, but still be given a good run for its money

if that makes sense

mook

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
SteveN said:
People seem to forget about launching and just think towards power power power.

If miss a gear or have a prob and let off when doing a properly storming run its possible that way too.
Yeah, I agree with this. Its amazing to see how much time you lose by slightly fluffing the launch or taking a little longer over a gear change.

On the street its un-noticeable, but on the strip where you've got another car alongside you going for it and a set of accurate timing gear to show up every mistake, every slight error loses you a surprising amount of time/ground.

Its great for practising different techniques though, where you can gauge what time you can make up by doing different things.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SteveN said:
Whats wrong with 10.6 at 118?

Thats possible. Ive seen low 10s at that speed, hell, ive seen cars in the 8s only running 130mph terminals.
Hi SteveN

The above may be true but not in a Skyline

Keith

·
Registered
63 Posts
It could be incorrect terminal record... I've seen it happen at Elvington in the past.. I've also seen some very wrong 1/4mile times at the pod too...

Other than that it could be that the car simply lifted off at the end to record a quick 1/4mile but at a slower terminal as it was de-accelerating..

Rishi

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Does the timing equipment used at TOTB not measure speed across the line, not averaged over the last sixty-something feet?

Phil

·
Banned
717 Posts
Andy forrest recently ran a 9.7s at a low terminal speed, with his engine shut off and coasting across the line after his inlet manifold split, trap speed was about 40mph down on normal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I dont under stand Keith... why not in a skyline.......... its all possible like the other guy said... I have done a 12.9 @ 90 mph before if you achieve your time in the first part of the track and lift at the end your terminal speed will drop like a stone.

Scott

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
.... talk about overthinking stuff...pretty simple explaination

The [email protected] was off the throttle. He said he missed 4th. Only about his fifth pass in the car. That was Battle of the Imports in Fontana ,CA. The Supra redlit, so it looks like it got a really good start.

Wens R33. It was on the cover of Import Tuner magazine a little while ago.

2.8 liter. T51RSPL. 877 rwhp @ 2.3 bar

http://www.importtuner.com/features/0608impp_nissan_skyline_gtr_r33/

The 709 hp is on pump gas.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
how about timing equipment error it is likely.

Grasshopper say "Repeatable times are the only true comparison - daniel son."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts