GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Does anyone actually intend to keep their car, for life?

Just curious.
I have never kept a car for more than 2 years, but what else is there that offers the same as a GTR ?? For the BMW fan boys as there are a few here, please don't say an M car !! :chuckle:
The only other car that seems to offer remotely the same performance and value is the new Corvette (flame suit on!) and I can't see that ever having the steering wheel on the correct side !

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
A possibility for me mate. But you never know what will happen in the future. Can't see it going for a long, long time yet. My daily will change regularly and a 4x4 addition will help keep things interesting.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I have absolutely no plans to change. Just keep tinkering every now and again.

Excellent thread by the OP though :thumbsup:

Very useful reference for people looking to buy and getting a good idea of running costs.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts

Just curious.
No plan to sell mine. Still got an STI Scoob I bought new in 2004.

If you don't sell them, there's no depreciation :D

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
My stage 4.25 My09 black/black on 31.5k miles is a keeper. The OP by Guyblue10 gives me, and probably several other owners, some encouragement that this car is quite durable. Thanks Guyblue, it's quite likely that the car will outlast me then!:chuckle:

·
Ooo Matron !
2,105 Posts
Whenever I buy a car I never plan how long I intend to keep it. I just see how it goes. But there is a bit of a pattern to my car buying that I've spotted:

1st car (Lotus Esprit S3) : 6 years
2nd car (Lotus Esprit Turbo) : 2 years
3rd car (Lotus Esprit GT3) : 6 years
4th car (Lotus Esprit V8) : 2 years
5th car (Noble M12) : 6 years
6th car (Aston Martin Vantage) : 1.5 years
7th car (GTR) : 1 year so far

So if my pattern works I'm looking at another 5 years for my GTR.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The disks and pads lasted 75k miles - WOW.

Fantastic write up and very informative. How often do you give the car some beans?! Buzz

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Very useful write up, thanks for posting.

Like others, mine is a keeper. Now in my 5th year and just brought it out of it's Carcoon today. Having been driving an Audi A2 (yep, you read it right) and a Hilux for the last five months, it feels something special to be driving the GT-R again - felt like a bloody harsh ride though! :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Bell Housing - yes, forgot that one, went about the same time as the wheel bearing, so about 65k miles. Replaced with OEM part under warranty (so no paperwork, which is why I forgot it!) New part seems to be holding up OK.

"Beans?" - whenever an appropriate situation arises....

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
Great post..i`m on the cusp of my own 100,000 miles at 96,500 and can report a similar level of pretty much trouble free motoring..strangely i`m looking forward to 100,000 :)
TWO at nearly 100k?? superb! lets see the odometer :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bell Housing - yes, forgot that one, went about the same time as the wheel bearing, so about 65k miles. Replaced with OEM part under warranty (so no paperwork, which is why I forgot it!) New part seems to be holding up OK.

"Beans?" - whenever an appropriate situation arises....
Fuel costs? Bet you'd like to forget that one too

Brilliant info. Well done for keeping everything up to date.

Simon

·
Ooo Matron !
2,105 Posts
Got to agree - I think the worst thing to do is not use them. They deteriorate.

Mine gets left for too long :(
No car likes sitting around for weeks or months on end. I don't drive mine many miles a year (3-4 k maybe) so if I find that it's not been driven for a week or so I get it out of the garage and take if for a few miles of just tooling around.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
My GTR has just passed 100,000 miles last week, all of them driven by me.

/snip/

Guy

Hi Guy,

What a fantastic post. Thank you for taking the time to do so!

Really useful information in here, especially for people looking to buy used cars with higher mileage.

I have also had my GTR from new since June 2009, but covered a mere 55,000 miles. Like you, mainly motorway mileage as an everyday car for commuting, but mixed with use of a sensible family car at the weekends (are Audi S4's sensible?).

I am pleased to report similar impressive reliability, with only the audio head unit and some LEDs in the instrument cluster failing, both of which were replaced under warranty.

For me though, it is the fact that after nearly 6 years of ownership I still don't want to replace it. I have never kept any of my previous cars for more than 3 years...and that includes the likes of a UK R34 GTR and a 911 Turbo (both of which were fantastic cars) - but nothing (within a reasonable budget) has tempted me to replace the GTR.

I'm looking forward to many future enjoyable miles in mine, and wish you the same in yours.

Ben.

21 - 40 of 267 Posts