GTR Forum banner

141 - 160 of 267 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
so ignoring the other bits the engine refresh cost you about £9k ish? and now you could push a bit more boost through it without worry I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Interesting...
Iain (Litchfield) recommended changing the cam chain on my 09 at 80000 miles the car was standard had completed 77,000 miles and about 40 track days. At the time of selling it there was no sign of any engine noise.
I was sceptical but it's looking like he may be correct.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Hmmm...this was a thread that inspired confidence until recent updates.

If I'm not wrong, your car has always been running stock boost and given the miles you cover, a fair amount of motorway miles?

I'd expect the engine (chain) to hold up a lot longer than 125k.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Yes, that's right. "Never raced or rallied" ha

I've only heard of a few GTRs over 100k miles and 3 have needed new chains at 105, 115 and 123 miles, so I think it looks like something that everyone should budget for at or near 100k. Replace the chain before it causes other problems.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I would think that 100k for a new chain in a high performance engine isn't too bad at all. After how many miles would a replacement have been needed if it were a belt ...?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The parts themselves should come to £500ish, but probably looking at 2 or 3x that in labor costs, it isn't an overly difficult job but its time consuming.
Is it engine out? If so then anyone who's stage 4+ who makes it to 80k miles might take the opportunity to forge at that point.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Timing chain on a high performance motor like this is good going for the chain...... the Audi's suffer from chain stretch and all sorts (even my little 3.2 v6 suffered this) and they are hardly "high performance" and it was around 25k short of the 100k mile mark

Just the way it is, nothing last forever.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I too am Suprised at the chain going so early. Chains don't usually just fail without warning. Has anyone listened to a vauxhall corsa chain engine. They can rattle that bad they sound like a diesel lol
I drive my cars fairly hard most of the time and really hard some of the time. But I do oil change very frequently and not to schedule. I've been known to oil change monthly at times and after a track day. My daily is a 2004 cayenne turbo that's just done 175k it gets driven pretty hard aswell.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I too am Suprised at the chain going so early. Chains don't usually just fail without warning. Has anyone listened to a vauxhall corsa chain engine. They can rattle that bad they sound like a diesel lol
I drive my cars fairly hard most of the time and really hard some of the time. But I do oil change very frequently and not to schedule. I've been known to oil change monthly at times and after a track day. My daily is a 2004 cayenne turbo that's just done 175k it gets driven pretty hard aswell.
If you google stretched chain / timing issues I think you'll find a few cases especially across the pond. Might not be down to the build but other factors however quite common (Nissan hold stock which to me indicates common replacement!).

·
Premium Member
5,829 Posts
If you google stretched chain / timing issues I think you'll find a few cases especially across the pond. Might not be down to the build but other factors however quite common (Nissan hold stock which to me indicates common replacement!).
100k miles on a 600bhp supercar, then needs replacement.. Doesn't sound to bad to me. As most will be well used, as intended car's as well. They aint 1.2 corsas.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
132,400 mile service

10k miles since the engine rebuild. Back to the start of the service intervals - 12k Service last week at 132,400 miles. Also replaced the gearbox sump which had layers of rust peeling off it and fitted (badly - Grrrr) a couple of tyres. Cost: £762.16

Tyres: 2x Blizzaks, Tyreleader, £436

Updating the running totals:

Total Maintenance costs: £28167

Total Tyre costs: £6973

So, having done 132,400 miles in 7 years 7 months, an average of 17,500 miles/year:

Total service, maintenance and tyre costs: £35140

Original Cost: £52,345. Current part-ex value: £22,750. Total Depreciation: £29595

Total annual costs including maintenance, repairs, tyres and depreciation: £8540, or 48.9p per mile

141 - 160 of 267 Posts