GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I wonder what would need to be done to allow a normal fuel car to run on bio ethanol?

Where did you get this info re rotting fuel lines? Which fuel lines, rubber?? Wouldn't be that hard to change the fuel hoses.

Rgds
Nito

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Alcohol can attack some types of rubber and plastic.

Most modern cars have fuel systems that can cater for these new fuels, as the've been in the pipeline for some time............excuse the pun.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Just wondering if there are any parts in the fuel pump, tank or injectors/rail that might need attention before this stuff is used. oh and the fuel tank filler neck maybe, that is, if it really does attack the rubber elements.

Mark.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
found this also

http://www.lfpress.com/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=120544&x=articles&s=wheels

"Some hardware modifications are needed (such as more durable valves and valve seats and the fitting of an ethanol-friendly fuel system, including tank, pump, lines and connectors)"

"Saab also has found that turbocharged engines are particularly well suited to exploiting the benefits of ethanol, allowing the possibility of introducing higher compression ratios for optimum power and efficiency"

Does this mean I can leave my GTS compression standard and up the boost ? hehe

Dont know about you chaps, but I think its good that a renewable fuel is being tried, and that its cleaner and better performance. Should help reduce our dependance on fossil fuels even if we cant all use it.

Mark.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Also this....

http://ruby.inq7.net/roadtrip/display.php?fld=driverslog/2005/dec&art=1215driverslog1.php

"The FCAI adds that as a solvent, ethanol attacks both metallic and rubber-based fuel lines and other fuel system components. Unless the fuel system components have been chosen on the basis of compatibility with ethanol, the failure of plastic components in a fuel system may result."

"Since ethanol has an affinity to water, the corrosion of fuel tanks and fuel lines is possible. Rust can ultimately block the fuel supply, rendering the engine inoperable. Water in the fuel system can also result in the engine hesitating and running roughly, the FCAI says."

Mark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts