GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting to my first mod for the car!!!

Getting the new HKS EVC VI for my '94 GTS-T.

Was wondering if it would be safe to notch up the boost to 10psi/0.7bar?

Safe for the turbo and the fuel system?

My 02 sensor is cut off, if that makes any difference as I think it makes the car run a bit richer. Only mods already are a HKS filter and a cat back exhaust.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
isnt it already running at .7 bar? my r32 gtst is . well was till i fitted a big fmic and its now at .69 bar

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
You need to address the very high static CR on these engines before you start modding. The injectors have little overhead, the turbo is designed for max efficiency at low revs. Great engine, expensive to mod safely. First steps are drop the CR, bigger fuel pump, decent rod bolts, bigger AFM and a Power FC. Then look to bigger injectors, a different exhaust manifold and bigger turbo. 500 genuine flywheel BHP on UK pump fule is possible, but it will cost you...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Finally getting to my first mod for the car!!!

Getting the new HKS EVC VI for my '94 GTS-T.

Was wondering if it would be safe to notch up the boost to 10psi/0.7bar?

Safe for the turbo and the fuel system?

My 02 sensor is cut off, if that makes any difference as I think it makes the car run a bit richer. Only mods already are a HKS filter and a cat back exhaust.

Thanks for the help guys!!!
I've been running my stock turbo at 0.85 bar for over 2 years with no problems. Just make sure that you only use high octane fuel and not regular unleaded.

It's worth getting the rest of the exhaust done (downpipe and de-cat). It makes a huge difference in how quick the turbo spools up. :D

If I was you I would hook the 02 sensor back up or your fuel economy will be s**t:). It is only used at low revs and constant throttle and is there to improve emissions and fuel economy. It has no effect at full throttle and when on boost.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have got a free flow exhaust and down pipe, but now i am having problems with the turbo overboosting now!
i know there are lots of threads on this but i think im going to either put a restriction in the exhaust or get the penny valve for the waste gate enlarged.
Does anyone know there i can get this or if there is any other way i can get the boost back down???

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
You need to either improve the flow of the stock gate, or retrict the exhaust downstream of the turbo. Obviously improving the flow of the gate is better, but just how much material there is to play with I don't know. At the end of the day a new manifold and turbo with external gate are the best option, but obviously they aren't going to come cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
so i cant fit an external waste gate to the standard turbo even if i can get an adaptor for it because the turbo already has a waste gate???
Is this correct

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been running my stock turbo at 0.85 bar for over 2 years with no problems. Just make sure that you only use high octane fuel and not regular unleaded.

It's worth getting the rest of the exhaust done (downpipe and de-cat). It makes a huge difference in how quick the turbo spools up. :D

If I was you I would hook the 02 sensor back up or your fuel economy will be s**t:). It is only used at low revs and constant throttle and is there to improve emissions and fuel economy. It has no effect at full throttle and when on boost.

:)

So all you did was simply turn up the boost a bit? Nothing done to the fuel system besides high octane? Just trying to make sure, I'll be getting a FCD also just to make sure she doesn't try to stop the power from coming!!! lol

Good to know about the exhaust bit too! That's the next stop! Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
my stock turbo was running 14psi without issues for 15 months (plus however long it was like that in Japan) before I switched to a GT3540. Made decent power and was with only a smic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my stock turbo was running 14psi without issues for 15 months (plus however long it was like that in Japan) before I switched to a GT3540. Made decent power and was with only a smic.
Anything done to the fuel system?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Think they run at 0.6BAR standard. 0.7 shoud be ok but can't push it anymore without getting steel internals and then you can whack it to 1.2 BAR and 300bhp+

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hyrev- I'm in the Houston Area

Faz Choudhury - Where could I get the internals replaced? I seem to remeber a post about a shop that did it, but can't remember where....

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
hyrev- I'm in the Houston Area

Faz Choudhury - Where could I get the internals replaced? I seem to remeber a post about a shop that did it, but can't remember where....

I am from Del Rio, Tx; just a few hours from you. I plan on going to
San Antonio in June and then to Dallas. I hope to see some Skylines
while I am there. How many are in Houston that you know?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Personally I know 2 other people that have them, each that I know have R33 GTS-T's like myself. There used too be a 32GTR that came by one of the meets, but he lives a bit far from there, so I haven't seen him in a while. I know Dallas should have a few up there, not so sure about San Antonio. Always good to know that there's another one around!

·
Registered
11 Posts
at the time I was running the stock turbo it was a standard fuel system...now the only thing of the fuel system standard if the rail :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts