GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I phoned Motorline to book my car in for 1200 miles service and was told that the GTR tech was on holiday and that Glyn Hopkins in Romford would take care of it for me. Fair enough. Booked it in and asked for a few things to be looked at:
1/ Suspension settings (based on David Yu's experience) - I asked about the three settings and was told that there isn't 3 settings, only 2, road and track. They did not recomend track and did not like doing it as its not suitable for road use and will destroy the tyres in a couple of thousand miles. I said I wanted less understeer so he said he would set it somewhere between road and track.

2/ Gearbox/clutch settings - I was told there isn't actually any specific settings abnd they will just adjust it as necessary.

3/ Brakes - My brake pedal has been soft since picking it up and goes 'long' very quickly with reasonably hard use. I asked if there may be air in the system and it needs bleeding, they said they would look at it.

4/ Quote for repairing tiny scuff mark on rear bumper where car lurched into garage wall and chip on back corner of front wing where it meets bonnet and A-pillar where something fell off shelf onto it.

I was then told that I get a free courtesy wash that I could upgrade to full valet for £11. Bargain, yes please.

When I collected the car, I was told that everything had been done and was all fine, didn't need tranny oil change etc. and given some sheets showing history of temps etc and suspension geometry settings. I asked if brakes had been sorted which was met by 'they were fine' at which point the GTR tech walked past and was grabbed. He didn't seem to know anything about my request regarding brakes but insisted they were the same as all other GTR's.

When I said they were nothing like the ones I test drove, he said 'they were probably prepared for the race track so felt better!!!

I then asked re: paint repair quotes and was told that the repairs were too big (!?!?!?!?!) for them to deal with!

Anyway, I left with the arse. Got to their underground car park, car looked OK. Drove away into the sun and could see smear marks and dirt down the bonnet and on the windows, stopped in petrol staion to fill up, 2 scratches on the roof glinting in the sun! Glyn Hopkins now closed.

Phoned in the morning and was told to get the car back to them ASAP to get it sorted.

Also, car now pulls slightly to the left! My camber/toe etc settings on the sheet they gave me were as follows:

BEFORE:
Left Front: Camber = -1.38. Castor = 5.51. Toe = 0.05
Right Front: Camber = -1.00. Castor = 5.29. Toe = -0.04

Left Rear: Camber = -1.30. Toe = 0.04
Right Rear: Camber = -1.00. Toe = 0.09

AFTER:
Left Front: Camber = -1.35. Castor = 5.51. Toe = 0.03
Right Front: Camber = -1.19. Castor = 5.29. Toe = 0.04

Left Rear: Camber = -1.32. Toe = 0.03
Right Rear: Camber = -1.35. Toe = 0.05

Does this sound about right? I'm not sure what they're meant to be? Advise please!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Bloody Hell TB that is just poor.

If you can wait until i get home Friday night i can email the standard geo settings pre optimisation and also the post figures for all options as they are in the glove box of my car.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Have you been in a german HPC.....the alignment settings look the same as the ones my HPC did....total w***ers:chuckle:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Also, car now pulls slightly to the left! My camber/toe etc settings on the sheet they gave me were as follows:

BEFORE:
Left Front: Camber = -1.38. Castor = 5.51. Toe = 0.05
Right Front: Camber = -1.00. Castor = 5.29. Toe = -0.04

Left Rear: Camber = -1.30. Toe = 0.04
Right Rear: Camber = -1.00. Toe = 0.09

AFTER:
Left Front: Camber = -1.35. Castor = 5.51. Toe = 0.03
Right Front: Camber = -1.19. Castor = 5.29. Toe = 0.04

Left Rear: Camber = -1.32. Toe = 0.03
Right Rear: Camber = -1.35. Toe = 0.05

Does this sound about right? I'm not sure what they're meant to be? Advise please!
I was also told that there are two setting, Sports & Road, and that the cars are set to Sports as delivered. Your settings before and after fall into the Sports bracket. Note that they are in degrees and minutes, as opposed to degrees & fractions of a degree.

They all look fine except for the Right Front camber which should be between -1.46 & -1.26 (deg & mins), yours being -1.19

Rich

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers Rich, my figures are also degrees and minutes, just typed like that as it was easier!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I used the Leyton franchise for servicing my 350z and always found the service very good.

That said, I suspect the bulk of their service business is not at the performance/luxury end of things

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I too had to use Glyn Hopkins as Motorline's only technician was booked/on hols when my 1200 was required.

They didn't ask me any questions and it was booked in with all the respect of a used Micra. When I collected it I looked at the settings and they'd just done 'road' without even asking and about 1.3 camber all-round. No issues or damage though and they did supply a free courtesy Qashqai (spelling?), but the whole thing felt cheap really in comparison to what the competitors offer if you go to a BMW/Audi/Porsche dealer etc.

I also had to stand and wait for 5-10 minutes, whilst a bloke in front complained his head off about the costs of a tyre for his car, because it was £99! Felt like telling him the cost of GTR tyres, but he'd probably have thought I was mad.

The number of dealers is a joke. I live in one of the densest populated and probably well-off areas of the country (ie Surrey) and I have to travel 1.5 hours each-way to get my car serviced/maintained (as there's no collection on the 1,200), whereas I have a Porsche/Audi/BMW dealer etc etc within 5 miles.

Nissan - get more dealers, this is a real pain.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
The number of dealers is a joke. I live in one of the densest populated and probably well-off areas of the country (ie Surrey) and I have to travel 1.5 hours each-way to get my car serviced/maintained (as there's no collection on the 1,200), whereas I have a Porsche/Audi/BMW dealer etc etc within 5 miles.

It is because you live in a well-off area that's why there is no Nissan dealer! You're all driving POrkers, Beemers, RR Sports etc....

As for more dealers, the investment cost in the required kit that Nissan demand for the HPCs combined with the perceived low numbers of GTRs on the road means what we have now is unlikely to change.

Me, I'm happy as MH is 30 mins away and they happily pick up my car from work and drop it off same day.

So I'm alright Jack!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I keep seeing "Motorline" HPC customers having to wait and use different HPC's as the GTR tech is on holiday! I'm surprised a dealer churning out so many new cars has only 1 technician!! They lost a sales rep right in the middle of the rush to order new cars which caused enough problems. I've ordered my car from Motorline and I think I'm going to have a few words. Sounds like trouble to me!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Same here with Middlehursts. Also got offered a clean / valet f.o.c to which i politely declined.
Lol i'll be leaving a note in mine "please do not clean" and there collecting it for its 1200 and i'm 200 mile away! (thou at the current rate of driving, 1200 miles is going to be a few months away :mad:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too had to use Glyn Hopkins as Motorline's only technician was booked/on hols when my 1200 was required.

They didn't ask me any questions and it was booked in with all the respect of a used Micra. When I collected it I looked at the settings and they'd just done 'road' without even asking and about 1.3 camber all-round. No issues or damage though and they did supply a free courtesy Qashqai (spelling?), but the whole thing felt cheap really in comparison to what the competitors offer if you go to a BMW/Audi/Porsche dealer etc.

I also had to stand and wait for 5-10 minutes, whilst a bloke in front complained his head off about the costs of a tyre for his car, because it was £99! Felt like telling him the cost of GTR tyres, but he'd probably have thought I was mad.

Middlehurst picked mine up first thing this morning from Berkshire for the 1200 service...

Courtesy hire car arrived yesterday evening and will be picked up Sat morning...

So, whoever told you the concierge service is not available for the 1200 was lying...

Middlehurst have also agreed to organising a full detail valet as the paintwork had a few swirls when I collected...

All good so far with MH!!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Middlehurst are going to get a HUGE bill from NUK for the 1200 mile pick-ups - this service is meant ONLY for the 6k/6 month regular servicing.
As I said before, by the time my nav car turns up, this extra benefit will no longer be available as the HPC's offering it will be £000's worse off!

D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Turbo bungle. These are my geometry settings after the 1200 mile optimisation service. Hope these help as a comparison.

I was told there are three settings in the following basic terms.

Track: Loadsa negative camber, tyre wear is increased, handling is suberb.
City drive/Fast road: Little negative camber, handling is great for fast road use.
Tyre sympathy: Virtually 0 degrees camber, tyre wear is kept to a minimum, handling is slightly compromised.

Mine was done last week at Nobles. I can't praise them enough, Nobles has invested a lot of money into the company and techs for GT-R supply and you can tell. I spoke to Iain (technician) before hand and he told me everything he was gonna do and asked if there was anything extra I required. They had the car for 3 hours and a courtesy car was supplied for free. Can't ask for any better than that as the car now drives brilliantly!!

Trav

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cheers Trav.

Also, has anyone tried Launch Control? I thought I'd just give it a go on the way home from Glyn Hopkins. I was at some lights, 3 R's lit, foot on brake, floor throttle, engine revved to 2300rpm, two seconds later warning light came on saying clutch too hot! Gave up. Left it a while and tried again, 2300rpm, foot off brake, car coughed and spluttered off the line while an Astra VXR got a car length ahead before the GTR woke up again! Very disappointing, I reckon sixty came up in about 5.5secs!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Middlehurst are going to get a HUGE bill from NUK for the 1200 mile pick-ups - this service is meant ONLY for the 6k/6 month regular servicing.
.....unless MH are footing the bill themselves to poach customers at an early stage and then reap the reward for years!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts