GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a set of coilovers. Silk Road Section RM/A8. link. The front springs are 14kg and rear 10kg. I am wondering, are they going to be too stiff for street use (occasional track use).

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I have the JIC FLT2A Suspension in my GTR,it has 12kg/10kg springs,and is even on the softest setting very hard,so i think a 14kg frontspring will be far to much for roaduse,but may work very good on a flat track:smokin:

·
Registered
858 Posts
I had HKS Hipermax on mine which i believe were 10f/9r and they were far too hard for my liking and were actually not much good on anything but super smooth roads because of the lack of compliance- so i'd think that unless you only drive on flat open roads and tracks i'd think a 14kg spring would be way too hard!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
one thing you might also want to consider is that a superhard front end will have your car understeering - I can't crank my front dampers to max hardness even on flat tarmac, because my car loses its immunity to that dreaded plowing as a result.

3,665 Posts
AST.....more like ABBEY.....lol..I have the 1st set in the UK on my 34 GTR

12/10 Will be to hard for road work , we dont even run this stiff on our race car.

3,665 Posts
Yeah I know....but they asked me what springs to supply with the UK kits...........

We are still playing with rebound/compression and spring poundages thou . trying to get a "nice" set up. The 6 on the back is a little to hard once you wind the spring platform up to get a good ride height , maybe a 4kg/f will be better with a nice spring helper....

But there again what do I know......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been looking around on the internet and I have to say, most coilover setups the spring rates range from about 10Kg + up to 14Kg. There isn't much choice below that.

I have pretty much got the below to choose from.

Buddyclub Racing Spec F 12k R 12 K
Buddyclub Junior Spec F12k R 10k
JIC magic F12k R10k
Cusco Zero 2 E F12k R10k
Trust Type S F8k R6k

Opinions?

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
If you look in the Demon Tweeks catalogue you can spec pretty much any length/rate of 2 1/4 ID spring you like. If a coil-over set is too hard, see about buying the dampers only and sorting out your own springs.

TT

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You can buy springs made to your own specifications in any size or rate for far less than Demon Thieves will charge you ...

Phil

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Granted, I used Rally Design for all my RS2000 coil spring requirements and they were working out at about £15 each. Just trying to work out how to compare their springs which are in pounds into the metric way of thinking. Not doing too well TBH. Mind you, Its a half hearted effort LOL.

TT

3,665 Posts
Springs like most things you get what you pay for, a cheaper spring will lose it length and "spring" far quicker than a "good" quality spring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts