GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

anyone running these brakes ? what wheels and sizes are you running ?

cheers

beaker

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not Bad lm's are bucks though :D
dont sound like there are many people running ksports

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone running Rotas or ultralite ?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have D2 (same as K-Sport) 8-pots with 356s. I run 18" 57 Pro Gram Lights.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I'm running the K-sport 8 pot 356mm front brake set-up with 18x10" Rota Grid drift alloys, ET15 :)

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
I called Alcon a few weeks back and we got talking about brake/wheel combo's. When I mentioned I was running 18" wheels the chap asked why I was stopping at 356mm when I could easily get 366/370mm rotors underneath 18's?? He said 375mm would be possible if the wheels were motorsport spec(?)

TT

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,193 Posts
I called Alcon a few weeks back and we got talking about brake/wheel combo's. When I mentioned I was running 18" wheels the chap asked why I was stopping at 356mm when I could easily get 366/370mm rotors underneath 18's?? He said 375mm would be possible if the wheels were motorsport spec(?)

TT
Motorsport spec I think just means that there's plenty of space inside the wheels. You'll often see brake clearance mentioned on wheels aimed at racing use. I'd assume that racers buy wheels on specs rather than looks and if you're looking for a set of smaller wheels or wets or gravel or whatever it'd be nice to know that your current brake set-up will fit behind them.

Looking at Cliff's pic above it looks like you could fit bigger discs - there's headroom in there. If there 10mm space around the calliper then you could potetnailly fit discs 20mm bigger (10mm + radius x2 = diameter) which would be 376mm - obviously take this with a pinch of salt!

For race use I guess you want the biggest discs you can get. The only disadvantage would be weight really.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
For race use I guess you want the biggest discs you can get. The only disadvantage would be weight really.
Not quite. Having been educating myself recently on competition braking systems there are a few other issues, two being rotational mass and rotational inertia. BIG rotors at high speeds act in a similar way to gyroscopes and increase the force required to turn the steering wheel away from straight-ahead.

You can go for smaller, yet wider rotors which keep the same thermal mass for good heat dissipation. Most folks want dustbin lid sized rotors for thr racecar look but fail to grasp that MASSIVE is not necessarily the way to go.

TT

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,193 Posts
Not quite. Having been educating myself recently on competition braking systems there are a few other issues, two being rotational mass and rotational inertia. BIG rotors at high speeds act in a similar way to gyroscopes and increase the force required to turn the steering wheel away from straight-ahead.

You can go for smaller, yet wider rotors which keep the same thermal mass for good heat dissipation. Most folks want dustbin lid sized rotors for thr racecar look but fail to grasp that MASSIVE is not necessarily the way to go.

TT
I put both of the above under weight myself but there you go. I was going to put a comment about the gyroscopic effects of big discs.

Not sure a small thick disc would help with heat dissipation. It would certainly have a higher thermal capacity but without a corresponding increase in surface area you could have issues with thermal inertia. I've seen a couple of superbike projects where people have replaced the forks with single swinging arms (rather than double arms as per Bimota/Vyrus et al). They tended to go with a single disc set-up but massively thick (for a bike). From what I read they tended to be great until the disc got hot then you'd have nothing until you parked up and let it cool down.

On this front I find it interesting that the Sumitomo and Brembo set-ups use fairly similar callipers but the Brembo set-up uses thinner bigger discs to the Sumitomo. Of course this may just be because that's the size the Brembos came in but I slightly discount this on the basis that the Z32 TT has the same type of Sumitomo callipers but running a smaller thinner disc. I suppose it depends how much stuff is specified by the designer and how much it just buying stuff 'off the shelf'.

Ummm I'm sure I had a point somewhere...:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts