GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was this anyone on here? (I hope not!)

Apparently, according to a story in the Daily Mail this 19 year old was bought an R34 GTR by his mother! She then paid the £7000 insureance premium for him to drive, he then stacked it into a Ford Fiesta driven by a pregnant woman.

He got a jail term in a young offenders instutute (he is 19!?) of 4 months.

Can't find a link, but the story was in todays Daily Mail!

What an idiot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
what an idiot
no wonder the insurance premiums of 7k

similar story i know and saw

a young lad who went to college with my cousin and was 18 inherited a large sum of money from his aunt, he bought a R33 GTR and SL500 and he knew from my cousin that i had a skyline and kept asking for me to race him, of course i said no and he followed my r33 from the city centre on a weekend and i got to the same part of road where naseem hamed crashed his SLR and he overtook me, i continued driving and about 3 miles further his car was upside down in a field

little kids with no driving experience in such a powerful car will always result in an accident, theyre going to kill themselves or someone

that pregnant woman was very lucky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
In Denmark they changed the rules, for buying MC's after a 18 year old kid went to test drive a Yamaha R1, he just got his licens, after 15min the kid drove 200-230KM/H in the middle of town and ramed into a cat cutting it in two and killing 4 people in the car inc himself.

After that you have to be 21 to even own a MC over 50HP or so. Always weird that people have to die before there is done anything about it :(
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,219 Posts
Personally age and experience hasnt got much do do with it.

Its the willpower to know your limits and not start doing stuff you not capable of.

But as a generalisation it is younger people that are more likely to do that, but that dont mean all of them.

Being 50 years old dont suddenly change your driving skills from not being able to drive a slippery stick up a dogs ass to a F1 driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,051 Posts
Experience has a lot to do with it, Its just most people get to a certain level and never try to improve. Experience tells you when you can and cant do certain things in a car and its also makes you very much aware of the limits. This applies to all cars of course not just high performance ones. As for parents buying young kids cars like that ? The term "More money than sense" springs to mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
one of my best mates has a evo 6,hes 19 and knows his own limits i feel safer in his car at full on race mode than i did with me dad in his saphire cossy.everyone is different

obviously the more you do somthing the better you get at it,but if you enjoy doing it you learn even quicker.
some people take to driving quicker than others so to say young drivers in big cars are dangerous is wrong imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,051 Posts
Experience doesnt have that much to do with age but if you have only been passed the test a maximum of 2 years and driven on the roads then you wont gain that much. However if you start on a track from a young age by the time you get your test you will have a lot of experience.

"obviously the more you do somthing the better you get at it,but if you enjoy doing it you learn even quicker."

100% true, Not many people are good at something they find boring, And most people find driving both boring and a chore, So they simply dont improve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,029 Posts
SteveN said:
Personally age and experience hasnt got much do do with it.

Its the willpower to know your limits and not start doing stuff you not capable of.

But as a generalisation it is younger people that are more likely to do that, but that dont mean all of them.

Being 50 years old dont suddenly change your driving skills from not being able to drive a slippery stick up a dogs ass to a F1 driver.
Being in the insurance business for years I have a good look at the reasons why under 25 years old are such bad risks and it goes a lot deeper than just experience. For a start the way their brain processes information is different (not yet fully matured) and especially people under 21 have problems spotting what is happening on their peripheral vision - that's the reason so many pull out in front of other drivers so it's not all experience unfortunately. On average a driver under 25 is nearly 5 times more likely to have an accident than drivers over 25 - not a happy thought. Over 50's are safest until they get too old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Marky_GTSt said:
Experience doesnt have that much to do with age but if you have only been passed the test a maximum of 2 years and driven on the roads then you wont gain that much. However if you start on a track from a young age by the time you get your test you will have a lot of experience.

"obviously the more you do somthing the better you get at it,but if you enjoy doing it you learn even quicker."

100% true, Not many people are good at something they find boring, And most people find driving both boring and a chore, So they simply dont improve.
well i say 19 were both 20 this month.no track experience but brought up around cars and drive alot of miles everyday.
yes ages doesnt have much to do with experience..just look at the young uns in F1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
skyline69_uk said:
Being in the insurance business for years I have a good look at the reasons why under 25 years old are such bad risks and it goes a lot deeper than just experience. For a start the way their brain processes information is different (not yet fully matured) and especially people under 21 have problems spotting what is happening on their peripheral vision - that's the reason so many pull out in front of other drivers so it's not all experience unfortunately. On average a driver under 25 is nearly 5 times more likely to have an accident than drivers over 25 - not a happy thought. Over 50's are safest until they get too old.
how many miles do under 25's do compared to 50+?
 

·
Registered user
Joined
·
6,821 Posts
Well in Luxembourg it was very clear, when the last Civic Type-R came out, 3 teens between 18 and 20. crashed the cars on country roads- 5dead in 2 month.
The garages then contacted the assurance companies to refuse a Type-R to young teens.
It lasted 6 months. Until today there have been 6 dead related to the Type-R, the normal teen crashes involve VWs and Audis. . . . I would not imagine the teens here in Lux. drive 300-600HP Skylines . . .
And by the way our country is only 36km X 66km:mad:
 

·
Through the Night
Joined
·
4,267 Posts
This 19 year old clown ,I'm 99% sure I spoke to him for some time last year at TOTB .This kid had about 6 mates with him all liggers and hangers on and his old lady had a share of a big win with a syndicate ,she worked in a super market ,they got over a million each .Anyway this dumb kid was looking at my silver 34 and said he was getting one ,I belive it was SVA motors ,his brother was getting an Evo he was about 21 years old ! I think I told him it was a bad move ,to be honest he was a right c**t ,thought he knew everything .I'm sure it's the same [email protected] ,the car he was looking at was silver,must try and find a Daily mail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,835 Posts
if someone finds daily mail page on the net, make sure you post it!

When Im driving, if I wanna let off a bit, i go through a check list in my head first. example

If the road greezy, check
is the junctions that likely someone would come out, check
how much revs im giving on a corner to likely cause a slide.
what time off day, check
dents in the road, check
animals likely to run out etc

Havent had a single crash but i do feel teens like my self cant drive. but i can lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,029 Posts
160sr said:
how many miles do under 25's do compared to 50+?
You are also asked the number of miles you travel per annum and that is part of the risk assessment :). Some 50+ are sales reps and do massive miles. The highest mileage groups are professional stravelling long distances to work or as part of their work and not young drivers.

The fact of the matter (and it is fact) is that the majority of younger drivers are more dangerous for various reasons than older drivers. It's a combination of lack of experience in a situation, under developed brain (that's a fact by the way) leading to tunnel focus, testerone levels and the immortality factor of youth that leads to such high statistics. The fitness, testerone and immortality factors help make younger people better racers in some situations but it's get them and others killed on the public roads unfortunately. Public roads are a whole difference set of dangers and problems than racing. If you read about most race drivers thoughts on driving on public roads you will see a worrying pattern of them hating it due to the dangers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,106 Posts
well,i'm 19,and i've driven our GTR numerous times on my own,without doing anything to the car,and i wasn't drive like as if miss daisy was with me either,unleashing approx 400bhp is very good fun ;)

i got my Civic VTi when i was 16,passed driving when i was 17,and then was driving a 160bhp car around,without any experience on sports car as i'd been driving a 75 tourer before that

only had one bump,and that was a woman hitting me
 
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top