GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for reasons having to do with US import regulations, I'm beginning to think about scouting out and buying a 1989 (must be an '89) R32 shell, then transplanting my engine and everything into that shell.

Problem is, I've never seen an '89 R32, the oldest I've seen are '90s. Are they that hard to find??

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have an 89, only done just over 70,000kms too. There is a few round in New Zealand now as they can be registered as a classic car once they are 20 years old.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Mine is car number 1300!

manufactured in Sept 1989 I think.... or is that first registered. Perhaps built Feb 1989.

could be 21 in a few weeks.... ahhhh..

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all I need is a bare-nekkid shell. Hell, technically, if I found one around here all I need is the registration and VIN plate...

·
Registered
962 Posts
My car has chassis No 146, it's always made me wonder just how many of the first 145 R32's are left?? anyone got any idea's?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
My car has chassis No 146, it's always made me wonder just how many of the first 145 R32's are left?? anyone got any idea's?
Bugger someone with a lower chassis number. That's my claim to fame gone then!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would extend your search to Oz as well.
Many 1989 GTRs came in under the old version of the 15 year rule, and could be found at sub AU$15K prices if your not concerned with mileage or engine condition, which probably aren't as good as jap prices, but aren't that bad.

Also Aus/US have freetrade agreement now, which might mean less import duties etc.

example: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Bnr32-Nissan-Skyline-Gtr-t304140.html&hl=1989+GTR
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Fs-R32-Gtr-t303089.html&hl=1989+GTR

·
Registered
546 Posts
There should be an owners register tracking the older ones; I had an ancient MG Midget - the owners club had a complete list by chassis number, spec, colour etc... now where is my anorak? :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Mines an 89, but seems its a young spring chicken as its about number 4000 ish I think. I will check tonight to be sure

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Is it the first 5000 Gtr32s that had the stronger block? If so, does anyone know when the 5000th one was manufactured?

Cheers,

·
Registered
500 Posts
for reasons having to do with US import regulations, I'm beginning to think about scouting out and buying a 1989 (must be an '89) R32 shell, then transplanting my engine and everything into that shell.

Problem is, I've never seen an '89 R32, the oldest I've seen are '90s. Are they that hard to find??
Australia and Canada own them all now :p

Is it the first 5000 Gtr32s that had the stronger block? If so, does anyone know when the 5000th one was manufactured?

Cheers,
Myth, no one has confirmed with hard evidence that there were better blocks in the early bnr32's.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts