GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I taught I would start up a thread over the recent work being doing to my car at Jamie Lawlor Crash Repairs in Clonmel, Ireland. I've had the car for over 11 years and have put over 100k kms on it along with numerous track days etc.

The car looked great but over years the usual R33 problems began.

I'd be all day writing up on what I've done before this so I'd taught id share whats been happening since i began addressing all the issues associated with R33 Skylines. I had spoken to Jamie over what I wanted done..basically a window out respray, fix strut tops, squashed jacking points and attend to as form of rust that couldn't be sorted with a vapour blasting and Dinitrol. After wrecking his head with countless questions (after being bad shafted in the past by other garages who basically did beyond shite repair jobs on it) We agreed on a rough price and I began to get stripping.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also had replacement strut tops from SR autobodies to with the car
The current state of my strut tops

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I needed replacement tension rods. I had previously bought adjustable ones but they just didn't last. I ended up getting in contact with Andy Joyce in Japan and he arranged to get these for me.
I was also keen to get a new exhaust for the car as the Trust Titanium is just too loud and running a silencer in the tip just kils the power. I wanted something from the same era and I managed to come across this HKS Super Drager 2. Delighted as I always wanted one. Both items are due in around 8 weeks time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted the spray job done properly so I decided to replace all the badges with new ones. I got onto Mark in Nissan on the Belgard road and ordered up these. One is due in 4 weeks. Absolute gent to deal with and prices better than whats online which i didn't expect!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got the car dropped down to Jamie Lawlor Crash Repairs.and Barry got to work.
As we all know. Some bodyshops just grind down or cut out a square plate onto the strut top and weld it in. Its the wrong way to do it as it will just rust again. Barry did it this way and its the proper way as you will see why. And this part was removed!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered new sills from SR autobodies The sills on the car had jacking point damage. I just wanted new replacement ones instead of trying to reshape 20 odd year old metal.

this is what they look like.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Side windows out. No rust anywere thankfully.

Rear window out
Side doors and skirts stripped out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanted new OEM window seals. I got onto Mark in Windsor Nissan and ordered them. I probaly should of put some vaseline on first haha. Heres what I ordered (marked in red)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So Barry decided to work on the sills while waiting for some parts to arrive. I was a bit shocked as I didn't expect them to be so bad. He decided to cut it all out and fabricate up new inner sills to go with new outters. He went with the same oem spot weld layout.
All new!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Further work on the sills. The side skirt and wing never sat perfectly at the bottom because the distortion of the jacking point threw the panel gaps completely off. They both bolted onto it.
Fits perfectly now

So onto the rear quarter
Bit more cutting done than the other side but better to be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Barry decided to tackle the p/s rear arch as there was a small rust bubble. He began stripping it back.
He realised there was a small bit of filler on this part (The car had been painted twice in its lifetime) "Will i strip all the filler back?" "Yep please id like to have little or none if possible please! Lol" So he removed it all and used a special machine to take the very minor dent out and revert it back to what it was like (without filler of course)
You can see all the small little marks it leaves

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update More work on p/s sills, arches and pockets
Read Oem spat came off and it didn't look great underneath!
He cut it and replaced part with hole
Bit straighter now lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This side is what i was dreading....

i had a bad experience with a garage changing tyres on the car just put the trolley jacket on this sill and not only made it worse, he bent it in!! Side skirt did a good job hiding it. My stomach turned when barry sent me these photos!
But he got cracking and sorted it fairly sharpish

1 - 20 of 42 Posts