GTR Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Onto the d/s wing. It had previously had a repaired before I owned it and the donkey doing it decided to use a lot of filler. Barry went in and stripped the whole panel back and used the machine to get original lines back in place. He also discovered some holes in the arch liner which he is sorting. The part around the filler cap had a small bit of rust so that was removed to be repaired and to gain access to the damaged area in the arch liner.
The area where the holes appeared
Whole quarter stripped back
Seems like water had been running through
As can been seen here, thats exactly what had happened.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update, Right so this was one of the bigger shocks for me. We discovered that "bodyshop" that repaired the rear quarter panel had punched through the metal archliner with a screwdriver and used bars to push the dents out. What they done afterwards was to be honest, f**king stupid. After pushing it out they filled the holes with silicone and left it like that. Over the years, water, grit, grime etc gathered INSIDE the wuarter panel and luckly, the damage could of been a lot worse had i left it another while longer. Barry cleaned all the good metal back and cut out the holes and replaced them with metal plates. Other quarter is solid, just this one was bad because of the holes.
You can see all the holes that were hammered through
So he cut out parts and fabricated up new sections

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update So Barry discovered more issues. The d/s rear pocket (connected to the quarter panel that had the badly filled holes) had been gathering water during the wet weather and would dry out when it would stop. Created more rust. So it had to be all stripped back and sorted.
I could never get the OEM spat to fit properly on this side but it was soon fixed.
Filler cap area being addressed.

·
Registered
1995 Skyline R33 GTR Nismo V-Spec ( R28 )...
127 Posts
Nice record of your rebuild!! Only way to bring back a great JDM Legend to it's former glory! I've done the same, with no rust and " new freshly made" body parts/ panels, our R33 GTR's will be around for another 30 + years!! Good workmanship from your body guru!!🤠😁

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice record of your rebuild!! Only way to bring back a great JDM Legend to it's former glory! I've done the same, with no rust and " new freshly made" body parts/ panels, our R33 GTR's will be around for another 30 + years!! Good workmanship from your body guru!!🤠😁
Cheers! Yeah this is it. The job itself is going to cost me a small fortune but I think it will definetly be worth it! Yeah he has an unbelievable pair of hands. The garage is an authorised audi and bmw repairer so they have all the proper equipment and proper heated spray booths so the car should be likr new when its done.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Excellent job, guy certainly knows his stuff. (y) :cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Cheers lads! I'm looking forward to seeing it when its done..i was also chatting to my mate over making a custom rear diffusor. He's an engineer. I'm not a fan of the big outlandish ones. We are thinking of a similar design to the R34 vspec one but shaped more to the R33 lines.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So I have been mocking up some ideas. Obviously with the car in the bodyshop I can't measure underneath it.

So heres my idea. Heres a replica r34 gtr vspec diffusor. The edges are squared off to suit the lines of the r34. I'm looking to go with a rounder design to suit the r33.

Heres what I'm thinking (excuse my paint skills lol)

Heres an underbody photo of an R33 GTR

And heres what i'm thinking of. You can see it would go with the lines of the R33.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great work on the car, nice to see another Irish registered 33 getting some love. I had mine restored underneath recently as well.
Hope to see this one on the road in the future.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,609 Posts
Excellent write up! 👍🏻
I undertook the same job on my 32 15 years ago. Fortunately I got to the rot long before it got established and caused holes etc. Now it's fully undersealed I feel confident I could drive it in the wet, (not that I do).

Keep up the good work. 👍🏻

21 - 36 of 36 Posts