GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the standard wheels on my R33 and was thinking of putting 19s on. Anyone had experience of this size on a R33 (or even if they fit!). How badly is the ride affected (on road and track)? Otherwise I'll just stick with getting 18s.

Cheers
Suhail

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Hi,

Have a lok at my website for few pics of a LM Limited R33 wearing Volk Racing 19".

Looks like they fit OK to me...:)

·
Registered
997 Posts
wheel size

Hi,
Blitz have been offering 19`s for the R33 for a couple of years now.Look on the Blitz UK site or Race Logic Uk,who are the Blitz UK importers.Didn`t Kiki at Option Motorsport have 19`s on the back?

Regards
Henry.:smokin:

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Cheers!:)

You should talk to Glen about that...but I don't thik it would be that bad...plus the bigger the wheels the better the looks in my book!:D :smokin:

·
Registered
710 Posts
19"

Henry is right, the Option Motorsport R33 has been running 19" Blitz Techno's for as long as I can remember. There is a picture of it on the Racelogic/Blitz (UK) website, I think.

Talat.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
19" on R33

Putting bigger wheels on an R33 looks good. Personally I think the standard wheels look out of proportion with the rest of the car anyway.

I currently have a set of Nismo split rims (182) with 275/35s. The only problem this has caused are with the turning circle. On full lock the tyres rub against the inner wheel arches and on the drivers side it catches on one of the bolts on the intercooler pipework. The choice is to put stops on the steering to prevent this. However, living in London, this is not very practical so you have to take care and always have the option of rubbing the tyres if you choose to. One imporvement was to take off the inner wing guards and bend over the offending seems (with a very large hammer) and then cut the plastic away. Not ideal but it helps.

Bottom line - bigger wheels look good but check out the internal clearance and don't forget to allow for the width of the tyres.

Hope that helps
John

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Bigger wheels

Ian,

The 18s I have alsio have bigger (wider tyres). They do rub but only only full lock.

When I first put them on they rubbed front and back. A large hammer, some protective paint and a sharp knife soom removed the offending metal and plastic from the rear. After that I had to remove one of the bolts from the intercooler hosing to prevent the o/sf chaffing and then cut the plastic away. It still rubs a bit but only when on full lock. It's worse in reverse becaue (I guess) it catches on the front more than the rear of the inner arch. I'ver also had the car lowered by 3cm which has made a lsight imporvement.

If you go for 18s then stick with narrower tyres if you wish. If you want stops put on the steering Abbey motorsport can do this. Its simply a case of welding a bit on to the sterring to prevent it going too far. Personally I prefer to leave it the way it is in case I need full lock. After all - GTRs hardly have the best turning circle in the world.

If you still want to go with 19s talk to the guys at Options Motorsport as they've done this for one of their cars.

If you're going to the Magpie at the weekend I'll be happy to discuss then and you can look for yourself.

John

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx for the response guys. I definitely agree with the comments that the R33 needs bigger wheels for the looks. The body is big and beefy and needs wheels to compliment it. Personally I think a set of split-rims do the job perfectly on a Skyline.

Thinking of getting the new Kahn Wheels (RS-C in attached jpg) which will hopefully fit in my budget. The Jap wheels are just so expensive!

Will prob end up going for 19x9.5 (unless someone really persuades me that it will kill the ride!) and hopefully they won't rub the inside arches.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Not so sure about the look personally!

I would go for the Blitz look wheels like the BBS ones in 18 inch to be safe!

My view thats all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thought not everyone would approve!

Got to admit my second choice was the BBS RKII (attached). Still got to see both wheels in the flesh as well so not 100% sure. I expect most skyline owners would stick with Jap wheels though.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Not a great fan of split rims myself...but those BBS look much better than the other one in the first pic. Just my opinion.
If you do fit spacers remember to fix the caster as it will be out of line

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
19's

If you can afford it go for the 19's. They can be a pain re rubbing and slower acceleration but it is down to what you really want.

I personally wanted looks and don't care about performance as my abilities to get the best out of my car on a track will certainly not be hampered by running 19's. I could have purchased for the same money lightweight racing wheels but as above would NEVER have realised the benefits but do with the looks.

Abbey Motorsport supplied my wheels and tyres and can source anything and at good prices. Give 'em a call and go wild.

See Ya.

Glen.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
19's again

Forgot to mention that if you really want to be different order Japanese wheels. OK you have to wait etc., but get the right ones and you'll be looking back EVERYTIME you walk away from the car.

Don't get me wrong here BBS, OZ etc., are lovely but somewhat "see them here, see them their, see them everywhere".

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
NEW WORLD AND WORRYING!!

This Skyline world I have entered is very scary, I mean I could pick a top set of 17's for the Subaru with either SO2's or 3's on them ..have them fitted and still have change out of £1,400.

The thought of spending £600+ for a wheel without rubber is worrying.

I hope the wife doesn't read theis board, i'll be doomed! :eek:

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts

Suhail,

Just like to give my opinion of the wheels topic.

Out of the two wheels shown I'd go for the BBS. This is for one good reason:

BBS have been making wheels for donkeys years, for all sort of motor sport. Now that does rub off on to road wheels. If you look into the wheel construction you will find the BBS to use better materials, finish and most importantly a far stronger wheel. They have a special hardening process for the rims that allow them to use thinner castings and make it even lighter, but very strong.

Now I don't know about Kahn wheels, but you can bet they are just simple alloy castings knocked up.
I wonder how much R&D and computer testing/simuation has gone into their construction??:confused:

I have seen some good deals on BBS with wheels in a package saving you money.

And as Glen said, If you get the right set you will enjoy walking up to your car every time, I do with my new Nismo GT2's. The size of my grin has to be seen. :D :D

Jap wheel may be dear, but you can still get TOP QUALITY wheels at a good price. You'll be proud you you did. ;) ;)

Ian,

When it comes to performance and money needed, Skylines are in a different league. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts