GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd just tell you what an awesome day out I had with the SIDC in my GTR at Donington.

Wow, what a car. I've Evo's and Impreza's on the track but this car is so rewarding. For once, I am driving a car that is better than me which makes it so much more of a thrill. So fast and some awesome tail out action. Lurid powerslides at the flick of a heel! :D
Glad I changed my S02's before the day. :D
Had a superb day out.

Cem

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Glad to hear you enjoyed your GTR out on the track!:)
So having owned 3 of the best J sports cars...how would you rank them?:D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nice one Cem

Question is.. how did you fare against them.. you should have annihilated them (all else being equal)

I was going to bring my R34 along to spectate, but She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed had other ideas :(

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Donnington

I was there with Cem at the SIDC meet on Saturday, we were the only Skylines on track.

The question of did we kick butt is a strange one, as both Cem and I have only owned our cars for a few montrhs and this was our first real track day.

Speaking for myself I found the sheer size and weight of the car through the fast sweeping down hill curves very scary and dabbed the breaks a touch. A bend which in my STI5 I had taken flat out!

The day was a sensible one and I was certainly not going to race anyone. Unlike the airfield day there was plenty of tyre walls/crash barriers to hit, So getting it completely wrong was not an option.

A great day.:)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Good Point

Ian.

Good point their.

I think the most important thing to realise is the driver ability. Not that lack of it is in any way detrimental to the driver or their car. It takes a long time I am sure to handle one of our beasts competently and with skill. I could mention costs but nearly all performance car owners have purchased to the max so a £5,000 car will have as much value as a £60,000 one to the owner.

I for one enjoyed Kemble for MYSELF and didn't leave thinking I had had a bad day 'cause I got overtaken. Ian and Cem have the right idea and as long as we carry this on with our track-days we won't go wrong.

I bet you guys were targets though. All those Scoobys wanting a GTR scalp. Rather you than me. Kidding :D . You know 'em all so must have been real fun.

glen

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have to say that a decent track surface made a positive difference (to me any way) it made the braking much more precise and gave massive grip on post corner acceleration.

I only did 2 sessions on Friday at Kemble and now need a full front bumper respray due to the amount of bits and bobs littering the airfield. I was a ware that my bumpers paint was soft and chipped easy but a seond respray in 3 months is a bit extreme!!

Im taking the car to Nazeing Essex to get a template made by Armourfend (the clear plastic protectant film) for the frint end of my 33. I will post the prices for the available areas.

www.armourfend.com

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
woohoo!

Hey all,

Sorry, been busy so couln't reply.

Dino,
The Evo's and the Scoob are good track cars, but the GT-R is sooo much more rewarding than the others. It really did feel like a proper track car. I could drive it any way I wanted, either powerslide it on every opportunity (which I did :D ) or employ the slow in, fast out mentality using smooth lines and apexes.

The steering is superb, offering so much feel and control in a huge car. My main worry throughout the day though were the brakes. I am very suprised though to see the brakes perform superbly throughout the day (although I was sympathetic).

I absolutely loved the day and can confirm it was the best day I've had on track, ever. Donington is also perfectly suited to this car. But as Ian says, there are areas where complacency would severely punish you if you pushed it too far.

Tail out action is awesome. Very predictable but not letting you forget the size of the car. I loved the TOTAL lack of understeer though, very impressive! I cannot wait until the next Dono day (but I will be more prepared this time!).

David,
I thought you would come in the Exige, but I see you had other commitments. I will confirm though, that I was considerably faster than a lot of the cars there, reeling them in was very easy (just a lead foot would do) but Ian and I made a promise to each other that we would drive sensibly on track. We were very obvious targets to a few people.

re. Armourfend, I find them WAY too expensive. I have a contact for anyone who wants a cheaper and better alternative. Mail me for more details, meanwhile, here are some more pics:

I have loads more pics going up on my site very soon with laods of videos too.

Cem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts