GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning to go to this tonight? :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,145 Posts
Saw loads of Supras heading toward Ace on the A40 when leaving work at around 7pm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amazing stuff! Loads of Skylines, 32s 33s and a couple of 34s, GTRs, beautiful examples on display. And yes, those stonkin Supras were there in a wicked line...

Some mad drifting round and round the roundabout, in between the Post Office articulateds, buses, trucks etc for the industrial estate. Crazy. One guy was drifting backwards across the roundabout and smashed into the street light, knocking it diagonally and smashing up his rear lights and bumper. He took off pretty quickly. A biker turned up on a brand new bike and stopped at the roundabout and a lady ran into the back of him, and while he was struggling to restart the engine, she took off into the distance, watched by several hundred people with camcorders! LOL. Nuts. But a good atmosphere! People of every background, united by a love of J cars! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,315 Posts
Thrust said:
Some mad drifting round and round the roundabout, in between the Post Office articulateds, buses, trucks etc for the industrial estate. Crazy. One guy was drifting backwards across the roundabout and smashed into the street light, knocking it diagonally and smashing up his rear lights and bumper. He took off pretty quickly. A biker turned up on a brand new bike and stopped at the roundabout and a lady ran into the back of him, and while he was struggling to restart the engine, she took off into the distance, watched by several hundred people with camcorders!
:rolleyes: and people wonder why the Ace Cafe meeting has a bad reputation and why the police are not too keen :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John. I feel you are criticizing me for going there, or for being seen to be actively encouraging members to go. Apologies if so.

It has to be acknowledged that it does have cult status, and it also has the long history of the Ace Cafe. To give them their due, they have recently (?)put up notices over the bar, saying things like "Be responsible. No wheelies, donuts or drifting, please!" Obviously the owners of the Cafe do very well out of these evenings, especially since it's a virtual monopoly.

I wasn't there in any official capacity, being in full operational disguise, wax nose, etc., with my Asian and Oriental 'mates', and I certainly didn't go there in a GTR. I did meet a chappie called Mike?though with an IMMACULATE silver 32 GTR which he bought off some reluctant seller in Stirling.

The meet is very difficult to quantify, but generally law-abiding, with just a little touch of anarchy. Perhaps it is that very element of excitement that people get, or got, through squatting, illegal raves etc, that draws the crowds. To be able to step outside the law for an evening, and yet to feel a general thread of commonsense nevertheless. A shiver goes through the crowd when some nutter does something really stupid, and they clap when they see a good demonstration of Tsuiso drifting. People watching at the roundabout are ready to jump if a car loses it. Or some of them are. Certainly I had my eye on a barrier that I would leap over...

Judging by their expressions, some of the lorry drivers would have happily hit or even squashed the parked cars; others had broad grins and gave a thumbs up after waiting at the roundabout for a couple of cars to finish a brilliant demonstration of drifting and the smoke to clear. Some in the crowd booed and hissed at the two squad cars who made their token drive through, and one idiot rushed out and kicked the back of a community bus whose driver had shown anger at the black hole he was being asked to drive through..

As soon as someone gets killed the lid will come down sharply I should imagine. Until then, if I say it is worth seeing once in your life, before it gets banned, does that imply some kind of endorsement? Anyway, fer better or fer wusser as my old ma used to say, I offer my observations. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,315 Posts
Hi piers,

Not at all criticising you. Just that there is often (not always to be fair) a 'hooligan element' causing trouble with their vehicles and having no regard for the venue, owners, other visitors or the general public. It's a shame because the venue has a lot it can offer and is a great place to meet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John, you've put my mind at rest. So it sounds as though you've been there! Yes, the whole event carries these hooligans as part and parcel of their ability to remain free, I suppose.

My sleuthing will take me to the Croydon meet tonight. My car will also be in disguise, so any member already planning to go, & wanting to say hello, look for the black Soarer with the big wing. The only people I will know there are Simon from Abbey, and crazy Fud the bargain tyre man of Budget Motorists Centre Battersea Rise! (Free plugs all round...) :chuckle:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,720 Posts
Hey Piers - are you finally back behind the wheel of the Soarer ?

Gez - Piers knows very well the Japanese er 'tolerence' for enthusiatic driving ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bean said:
Hey Piers - are you finally back behind the wheel of the Soarer ?
Hi, Bean;) Yes, after a year of drama the car is finally roadworthy and I am heading to a friend's wedding in Scotland this weekend. Well, if the car escapes Croydon in one piece tonight...:smokin:

New uprated single-turbo internals (28-37R), new Abbey-made GTR downpipe with removable cat, newly-ground manifold-to-turbo pipe, have all increased gas flow smoothness amazingly. Remapped with the Gold F-Con V Pro for UK fuel and 354 BHP at the hubs, 410 BHP at the engine, and the acceleration is as smooth and wonderful as you like. They have fitted the latest evolution of Exedy's non-slip-when-cold twin-plate carbon clutch, sent out specially from Japan in August. They have realigned the front wheels, given me new tyre valves because the aluminium dustcaps had fused chemically (and embarrassingly) to the old ones. And the Cherry on the Cake is the handmade carbon base-plates for the top of the boot/trunk which they've created to hold the carbon wing in place and stop it hairline cracking the boot/trunklid any further. These base plates are outlined with a ring of heavy black round headed studs and they. look. GREAT!

Just don't ask what the bill was... :puke: :D :cool: ;) :lamer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Thrust said:
Hi, Bean;) Yes, after a year of drama the car is finally roadworthy and I am heading to a friend's wedding in Scotland this weekend. Well, if the car escapes Croydon in one piece tonight...:smokin:

New uprated single-turbo internals (28-37R), new Abbey-made GTR downpipe with removable cat, newly-ground manifold-to-turbo pipe, have all increased gas flow smoothness amazingly. Remapped with the Gold F-Con V Pro for UK fuel and 354 BHP at the hubs, 410 BHP at the engine, and the acceleration is as smooth and wonderful as you like. They have fitted the latest evolution of Exedy's non-slip-when-cold twin-plate carbon clutch, sent out specially from Japan in August. They have realigned the front wheels, given me new tyre valves because the aluminium dustcaps had fused chemically (and embarrassingly) to the old ones. And the Cherry on the Cake is the handmade carbon base-plates for the top of the boot/trunk which they've created to hold the carbon wing in place and stop it hairline cracking the boot/trunklid any further. These base plates are outlined with a ring of heavy black round headed studs and they. look. GREAT!

Just don't ask what the bill was... :puke: :D :cool: ;) :lamer:
pics please, sounds beautiful!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Faz Choudhury said:
pics please, sounds beautiful!
pics of... ??? the carbon elbow pads? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
was supposed to pick my car up today but left the locking wheel but at home so picking it up tomo...else I would have gone :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
sounds like a laugh, were there any celicas, i like the gt-fours :) saw some at Donny, very nice. Supras are nice too
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top