GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now driven the car for one week, and make the following observations........

My Transit turbo has less lag
My transit turbo has more off boost power than 2 skylines put together

The tramlining i was warned about is.....pretty bad on bad roads, but as i have mostly driven the car with wipers on full, i can see that in the dry it will be fine or can be ironed out

You can steer the rear with the throttle closed in the wet !

Brakes are very powerfull

1st gear is too low

Car is far more stable and composed at speed than an Evo

I have a switch next to the headlamp dipper, picture of wipers on it.....no idea what it does !

As for this board.....hhhmmm, you are all either stuck up, shy or lacking in comms skills.....a very different place to the MLR !!

I have managed to buy from here a pair of turbos, an exhaust and a camkit, so on that side its excellent

You need to do something about the "Atmosphere" ,it feels like a gentlemens club !
Or maybe im wrong, should i post "How do i wire up Neons to my carbon indicators?"........will i get more replies ?

Not sure i want to hand over £60 yet.........

Thank you to Andy and Rob Barnes for help and advice as always.

Basically the car is better than i expected, and im addicted. It is far from perfect in some areas.....but thats why we buy this Japcrap isnt it.....for their potential ???

·
Registered
848 Posts
Stay with it mate, I still use the MLR for my Evo and yes the atmospheres different but what is brilliant about the GTR people, they love to meet up and it's a hell of a lot more fun in the meets than in any of the MLR stuck up show meets etc..!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Stuart
Can't answer all your q's but I presume your car is pretty much standard if you haven't got the exhaust on yet.
Performance changes dramatically with a few mods, You think the standard 34 turbo's are laggy, Try a T88.

Tramlining is purely down to tyres, Not on RE040's by any chance?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Hello Stuart,
I use Good year F1's on my car and I dont suffer from Tramlining,
It does however get stuck in the ruts on the motorway some times, and you have to hang on.

I have stuck with smallish turbos for responce and less lag,

Tim is your Tansit quicker than your T88 (off boost) ? :D

Regards

Nigel

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Hi Stuart,

Sorry you think we are all a bunch of stuck up knobs. I'll whip my butler until he makes amends !! :D :D What experience made you say this, just out of interest??

As for the GTR being laggy I have to say its definately not as instant as my evo4, but then on slightly longer journeys or when on the motorway this is a bonus in my eyes as your not always trying to "restrain a spaniel on a lead" if you get my meaning. Its certainly less laggy than my van (vito112) but then what kind of a comparison is that?? :D :D I dont agree that first gear is too short, its a heavy car and needs some persuading to get off the line - compared to my evo first lasts forever so this confuses me slightly. I think I have to be in third to do 60 in the evo whereas I am still well in second in the skyline, they do about 45mph in first IIRC so thats not that bad.

To give you some idea on the tramlining, I had Bridgestone RE040's on the front of mine and its lowered and I have to say the driving experience was horrid. However I have just changed to Yokohama AVS all round and its like driving a different car - and it doesnt aquaplane as badly either.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Aquaplane- whats that all about Bladey- cant say I've ever had mine aquaplane
Now if you want aquaplane - you should drive a BMW M5 at around 1**+ on the A120 in pouring rain hit one little puddle in the outside lane and end up in the inside lane! Still doing the same speed -- weird!

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
gainsboro...what experience have you had here that makes you say those things? "Gentlemens club"? Come on, if you really prefer the MLR style of doing things we'll just sack every moderator here and let anarchy take over.
Most people seem to like it here...(I hope)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I agree with the tramlining, never had tyres make 'that' much difference on other cars, is this true?. I think it handles better the faster you go. If I drive down a lumpy twisty road slowly it makes my car squirm about and tramline, if I crank things up on the same piece of road the handling actually improves and it seems to be easier to handle the faster I go (thats my excuse anyway;))

Can't agree with the lag thing though, I think my car drives very well off boost, torque seems to negate any slow spool up issues, maybe the 6 speed is a lot different though?.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree with the comments about tramlining, it can be a nightmare at times veering in all sorts of directions!

Not had any problem with turbo lag, can't hold the beasty back at times, but maybe I have a heavy right foot ;)

Am going to try out jameswrx theory about cranking things up for improved handling :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm using Pirelli P zeros & don't suffer too badly with tramlining
seems to depends on the road condition if it's seen heavy HGV use.
Used to have tramlining aquaplane probs with Yoko's - but a different car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts