GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, ive been wondering why more people dont go for 2.8L capacity since the only difference between a forged 2.6 build and a 2.8 is a crank that costs a measly 800 quid more than the std one from the place in the uk that does the one for the hks kit (keep forgetting the name)

or am i missing something here...

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Pistons, And sometimes rods

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I was under the impression that longer rods were necessary.

If this is not the case...I'm going to want to shoot myself, as I replaced my crank last year and would have bought a stroker crank in a second if it would have worked with my stock rods!!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I got a HKS step 3 with the engine builder and its, Rods, Pistons and crank

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I'm sure I have seen kits with just the crank and pistons. The pistons have a different pin and sleave height to measure up with the increase in stroke.

i.e the pins go a little higher up in the piston so the compression remains the same with the longer stroke, and the increase is at the bottom of the stroke.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right, say the rods and pistons are a bit different. does that mean more expensive aswell?

i wasnt referring to already built motors per-se, but if you're replacing pistons and rods already for a 2.6 build, and the farndon (thanks jags) crank (used by hks stroker kits) is only 800 quid more... then why not go for the stroker instead.

are the pistons and/or rods required for strokers something special that would make them unobtainable? (like price or design/availability limitations)

thanks again

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are there any manufacturer, who offers shorter rods to go with 2.8 crankshaft?
Or is it more common to use normal size rods with stroker pistons?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts