GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a trackday at my local circuit, Snetterton, and couldn't believe the difference my 'safety' purchase has made. I bought a Skylab torque controller from R32 Combat (Andy) and had it fitted by Gareth at ATF recently. The main reason I bought it was so I could recapture some of the stability I'd previously enjoyed in 4 wheel drive cars when entering and exiting corners on the quick side. I've grown up with Imprezas and learnt to enjoy their feeling of security. Now I feel I've got the best of both worlds. The car turns in like a Skyline but grips and punches out of bends in a way I only could have dreamt of beforehand. According to spectators that were keeping an eye on things, I was averaging at least 2 seconds a lap quicker with it switched on. ( I did a before and after just to make sure)
The reason for the post is simple. I have no connection with either company or individual concerned, other than being a customer, but feel that this is a very unusual product that many people will look at and think ' oh, what a great idea' and then forget all about it. DON'T If you're interested in making your Skyline much faster and much safer for the paltry sum of £150 then do it. I know at least two other well respected users of this site that have one, used it on Sunday and seemed to have a great time.

Thanks guys. Hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts. It makes a nice change to post something which is 'all good'

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had very mixed weather but ran it between 6 when it was hammering down with sleet and off when it wasn't anything but dry!! I can see no disadvantages with this at all. Fun when you want it to be and helping when you need it to be. The fact that it makes you faster and safer is remarkable. It's normally one or the other unless you're talking about £1500+ of AP racings finest.

·
R35 Section manager
10,780 Posts
I bought one of Andys(R32combats) controllers around 18 months ago.It is the best mod I have ever bought for my skyline.I had owned 3 Subaru imprezas before my skyline and needed that 4wd performance.I had my skyline only 2 weeks,before it decided I was going into a hedge.By luck alone I controlled the car and hit nothing-not a scratch!
It was then I heard of Andys controller.It turned my car into a tamed beast,with 1000% more control.
I have told as many people as possible,but feel Andy should do a video with the controller ON and OFF-to show the difference!!

I would not have kept my skyline for as long,if not for Andy.

WELL DONE

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
I have been running it on position 4 in the dry. Without it my car has been going very sideways on cold tyres:mad: With it switched on, just hard fast acceleration. I am still reserving judgement on how it will affect understeer which I will test at Croft at the end of march.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
An awesome pice of kit. It gave me so much more confidence at Snetterton during the rain / sleet / snow and damp of the first session.

I had turned mine off completely as well when it was dry but for me it has absolutely transformed the handling in any form of conditions.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
DaleHarrison said:
Being a little behind on certian mods etc I'm assuming this controller somehow turns the torque to full 50 50 distribution??
If thats the case are there any ill effects to the car running this? if not sounds like a really cool mod :)
Cheers
D.
The 4wd computer does different things in different conditions.
e.g. cruising - rwd
spinning wheels accelerating straight ahead - 4wd
and many others inbetween

Problem is when cornering the 4wd is reduced to make the car oversteer to try and eliminate understeer. It does seem to oversteer too much for most of us.
The controller allows you to fool the computer into thinking that you are not cornering as much as the g-sensor is indicating so you get less or no tail outy action.

As the controller does not turn the 4wd on all the time I am not convinced that it does any more harm than normal driving will do, so I am happy with it.

Dave

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
TSC

I have been singing the praises of Andy's controller for ages now. I keep the setting at about 6 and it makes the car corner beautifully. I have read in some posts that about 2 or 3 for track use is the best and about 6 to 9 for road use depending on weather and tyres etc.

There is a favourite 90 degree corner of mine not far from me and with the controller set at 6 I can take it with the shoe full in in 2nd gear and the car just goes around it feeling totally neutral - an amazing feeling and makes me grin everytime. It's a not a blind corner or anything dangereous like that before someone calls me an idiot :smokin:

My own list of the 4 greatest mods are...

1. Andy's TSC - £150
2. Apexi PFC remapping the engine - £1000
3. Having you suspension revalved by Aurok if too stiff or old (transformed the car!) - £250
4. Putting proper pads on the brakes (CCX) although they do squeal like anal virgins (that's just a saying so don't read too much into it :eek: ). About £130 for the front pair.

:D

·
Registered
961 Posts
Skyline 69. You mention a revalve by a company called Aurok, do they offer this re-valve for any suspension? Do you have a number that i could contact them on? My suspension is shaking my teeth out........need a re-valve:D I bought one of Andy's Controllers a couple of months back , havn't fitted it yet, but after reading the above next job on the list:) Any help with the above much appreciated.

·
Administrator
31,413 Posts
Twice now this winter my fiance has lost the back end, on fairly greasy local roads.

luckily she has held it together, but i think i might have to get one of these, to avoid a dreaded "ive crashed the car" phonecall :(

mook

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Mookistar said:
Twice now this winter my fiance has lost the back end, on fairly greasy local roads.

luckily she has held it together, but i think i might have to get one of these, to avoid a dreaded "ive crashed the car" phonecall :(

mook
I think not letting her drive the car might be more effective :D :smokin:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Has anyone with one of these noticed an increase in understeer as Dave mentioned, I like the idea of a 'safer' more controlable car but dont want to make it handle like my old Esc Cos, which understeered badly in wet/damp conditions, unless that was just my driving!

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Turn it up too much and itd understeer.

Hence why its fully adjustable.

Most RWD and 4WD cars have understeer built in as standard, almost 100% of them when off throttle, and some even when on throttle.

A change of suspension geometry can easy sort that tho.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts