GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another good weekend at the strip with our PB steadily comming down each run.

We didn't even unload the car from the trailer between meetings which is a great feeling i tell ya, it just needed fuel and a tyre pressure check, we ran 7.50 off the trailer and chipped away during the day with a best of 7.41, best part is we still have plenty of power up our sleeves, especially from 1/2 track where we are finding it neccessary to back the boost right off to maintain traction, hence the speed (175mph) is very low for sub 7.50s.

Knowing we couldn't wind it up from 1/2 track we decided to see what we could get away with to 1/2 track, we got the 60ft down to 1.13 and 1/2 track in 4.6 seconds at a touch under 150mph.

Next step will be new tyres, some more wing angle, gerny strips on the upper rear side wings and possibly a defuser under the rear of the car.

7.4s is well ahead of where we thought we'd be and we'll destroy the DD/D index if we run these sorts of times at the next round of the NZDRA championship so we'll have to get a balance of development and doing whats best to try and win the championship.

Here's a couple of video's from the weekend:

YouTube - RIPS FED 7.50

YouTube - RIPS FED 7.49

YouTube - RIPS FED 7.41

Rob

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
So basicly you should lower boost to get more competition:D

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Looking amazing! On the 7.49 you get away well ahead of the other car before you have to ease off for traction, bet he was worried! Presumably the other car was a V8, what spec would that have been?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Rob, as an experiment have you considered the alternative approach of 'easing' the car along for say the first 100 (or 200) feet and then letting full RIP just to see if you can power all the way to the end of the quarter? Might make an interesting time and get the crowd excited seeing you overhaul the other lane!

Your making around 150 at the 1/2 and mention a few things to tweak, I think you are spot on to try tyres first as they are the originals! No point in working hard on the aeroD until you've taken the tyre aspect out of the equation. The 6's beckon!

Good luck, keep it out of the wall,
DaveG

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you are seen to be sandbagging and gradually lowering the record just so you can win the championship some of the other teams may try to make things very difficult for you.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If you are seen to be sandbagging and gradually lowering the record just so you can win the championship some of the other teams may try to make things very difficult for you.
Yes, and believe me, it weighs on my mind as to what to do.

The last thing I want to do is upset anyone, but then again most teams would just do what is best for them and not worry to much about what other teams might think, I don't want to be seen to be like that and as I say, I need to find a balance between keeping the piece and trying to win.

I think you/them/anyone needs to just ask themselves "what would I do in the same situation?" If you be honest about it, I think most would say "tuff shyte, I'm here to win at all cost" At least I'm NOT thinking like that!!

I have been so concerned about it, I have spoken to Chris Tynan and he directed me to the rule book where it defines "sandbagging", and the correct definition for sandbagging is delaying the START of a race, it does not have anything to do with what you do AFTER you are in full stage, you are allowed to do whatever you see fit to win each round and working the index to your advantage is just wise racing he said.

I had a case on the weekend where my competitor should have been disqualified on at least 2 serious points in the 1 race, I didn't pick up on it in time and he was given the round win, I'm pretty sure they know they got away with it and I'm also pretty sure they'd keep their points/prize money/trophy if I spoke to them about it now and asked them to "kindly" reverse the result, it seems as right or wrong as it may be, at this level its open season and these seasoned guys will take the win (unless its protested) even if they knew they broke a rule, and as far as doing ANYTHING that is actually LEGAL (even if some may see it as imorral) there's no way they'd care.

Something else I have been told I could/should do if things get too "heated" with the whole DD/D index thing is take the NOS out and drop back to EE/D for the rest of the series and run off a 9.7 index for the first meeting at least, its an option as the car was always intended to be a EE/D car, in fact its 280kg OVER weight for EE/D so no-one could begrudge us going in there without NOS surely?

I think any new car that comes along and destroys long standing records with a new way of doing things will be disliked by the guys it effects, thats just human nature and I can understand completely, what they need to understand is, I have put just as much effort/time/money into building my car as them, all totally within the exact same set of rules as they have built their cars to.

I will not be "sandbagging" in fact I prefere to stage first, I will be doing what is right for my team, my sponsers and I'll try to keep as many of my fellow racers as happy as possible, thats all I can do.

Catch 22 comes to mind and it really sucks I tell ya.

Rob

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Rob, bo77ocks to them. Run the race YOU want to run, get the time you aim to get. If its a win then its a bonus, especially if its within the rules. You declared at the very start what you sought to achieve, do that and everyone will totally respect you. We all know for some its all about winning and not so much complying with the rules (its only a problem if you get caught, mentality). We all know that isn't your approach. Be true to yourself.

Only complaint anyone can have is that you aim too low because you make the difficult look so easily achieved and the impossible after a couple of tests! Keep setting the new benchmarks and re-writing the 'records', we are all right behind you.

DaveG

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congratulations nice runs, How much boost and what power are you pushing.
Only around 900whp at the moment, thats all we can get it to hold.

Rob

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking amazing! On the 7.49 you get away well ahead of the other car before you have to ease off for traction, bet he was worried! Presumably the other car was a V8, what spec would that have been?
This was a DYO meeting and I dialed in at 7.38 and he dialed in at 6.75 meaning I got the head start.

The car is the current world record holding A/D and runs consistant 6.80s with a 1090hp N/A small block.

Rob

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
How many km has the engine done in the 2 years?
Any road driving at all? or is it just the 402m at each event?

Awsome car mate :thumbsup: , cant belive you drive that thing at your own free will :D

Asim

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many km has the engine done in the 2 years?
Any road driving at all? or is it just the 402m at each event?

Awsome car mate :thumbsup: , cant belive you drive that thing at your own free will :D

Asim
Its done a huge amount of hours/miles overall.

It was in the 240z and we used it on the road quite a bit, it did alot of time on the dyno and obviously ran a huge amount of 1/4 miles getting thrashed to within an inch of its life for well over a year with crazy rpm, lots of boost and NOS.

When the motor came out of the 240z we just painted the rocker covers and gave it a clean, we did not change the oil, spark plugs, cam belt or water pump etc, we didn't re-torque the head studs or take the head or sump off and did no other maintainence at all, just drop her in the hole and away we go again.

This is proof that a well built high power street motor with correct setup and tune can be extreemly reliable for a long time, the motor is showing no signs of slowing down at this stage and I have no idea how much longer it will last.

Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts