GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm trying to find a 200MPH speedo, tried Abbey and they cant source one - but I'm sure there available. At the moment I have a bog standard 180MPH one. I'm considering having the original Nismo 320KPH speedo converted, that the car was imported with. Little over the top though '320MPH'!.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I have a kmh converter on the gearbox and a nismo speedo. I don't really mind the wild top end of the speedo. Leaves room for expansion:D Mind you trying to keep to the speed limit can be difficult when 30 and 40 are so close together. No radar detector either.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts

I would put the 320 klik speedo back in ensuring that you remove the mph converter from your speedo loom at the same time. You cant get a 200 mph speedo and would also note that the converters are not actually very acurate but installing the 320 kilk one and using as kliks is the most acurate way of measuring your road speed back into mph when you get home as you have a factory speedo head unit in effect although its the nismo one.

The 320 kilk speedo converted to mph is no good as the speed intervals are too close together to give you any kind of acuracy although it will work.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never thought of doing it electronicially, cheers Dave - that will give me a project to do over the weekend. I was thinking down the lines of getting the speedo face re-printed. The circuit should be simple enough to make, I'll put the speedo signal on the Oscilloscope and see how it works.

Jason.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I beg to differ but....

Had my speed checked against another car after fitting converter and it was ok (although no speedo is guaranteed to be accurate). Mine is mechanical though, are the 33's and 34's electronic? Agree with you on speed intervals.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
dave

yes they are electronic on 33 and 34. the mechanical ones work obviously on a simple plastic gear cog system and the ratios are good. The electronic ones work on the pulse signal immitted from the loom / g box. We have failed sva tests using the electronic conveters as they show the speed as faster than actual and also slower than actual.

They generally have a good tolerance but will never compete with the acuracy of a speedo head unit that is calibrated correctly or at least as good as it gets from Nismo/Nissan.

The 33 and 34 elec converter also converts the 4ws system so its imperitive that you get the converter that does both or you will forever have a twitchy uncertainy to the car. There are the cheap ones and there are the real deal ones. What you should have on a 3 or 34 is a CK DR 34 converter ( no relation to the R34 digits)

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
yep

quite right dave, no bullshit ' thats what ive heard' here, all experience and first hand knowledge, glad to pass it on.:) :smokin:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have a look at it over the weekend, and see if there is a way around it, so that the ECU speed signal is not effected.

Dirk is correct about the SVA being strict over the calibration of the speedo, when my car was SVA'd the bloke said it can be a few mph over but nothing under - mine was spot on.

Thanks for all the top information Dirk / Dave.

Jason.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Just an idea....how about using a normal Km/h speedo and for the mph reading use something like a Blits power id thingie? It gives you the speed on a digital display....

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Do you want it to actually go up to 200mph or are you just looking for it to show 200mph. If you want the latter then you just need to extend the numbers round. That being the case try Bluetone, they'll make you up a set specially. They'll be white when the lights are off and green or blue when the lights are on though.

John

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dino: I've got the Blitz power meter (reading MPH), but find it a massive distraction due to where its mounted.

Fuggles: I think I'll be careful answering that one!, only for test perposes at an appropriate air-field / track;) .

Jason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts