GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Exactly Barry, I shall quote you

"the gearboxes are not different"

Someone was trying to argue with me that the later gearboxes were different, they are not, all that is different is the parts to make it stronger.
As for the earlier boxes that is all that is needed to be safe, should not deter you from buying the car, just get the parts fitted as soon as you can if not already.

As for costing £10,000 to sort out, again personal experience first hand.
When my car threw up the TM error, it went to Middlehurst and had all those parts fitted, less than a week later I got the exact same problem and error code again. Gearbox was un-salvagable, and had to have a new 2013 box fitted to get it back on the road. If I did not have warranty, I would have had an extremely hefty bill.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
As for costing £10,000 to sort out, again personal experience first hand.
When my car threw up the TM error, it went to Middlehurst and had all those parts fitted, less than a week later I got the exact same problem and error code again. Gearbox was un-salvagable, and had to have a new 2013 box fitted to get it back on the road. If I did not have warranty, I would have had an extremely hefty bill.
Probably all those launches in McDonalds car park! :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I didn't even do my first launch till 4-5 months owning the car, I kept phoning John at Middlehurst asking about the launch as I did not want to void any warranties.

By the way, I don't launch in mcdonalds what you talking about !!!! It's Matalan car park I do it ;) haha

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't beleive for a second that the box was "unsalvageable" Dean.
Dealers are incapable or unwilling to try and repair faulty boxes and have created this myth that they are unreliable.
It has been a stupid move for them as far as marketing goes but then its Nissans money thats being wasted on all the warranty work (or lack of it) and they are happy to go along with it.
Has there ever been a case of a sensibly modded car outside the warranty period having the whole transmission replaced ?
Unlikely.
J

·
R35 Section manager
11,169 Posts
My 59 plate gearbox is perfect.
no uprated software either. I drive her everyday and track her too.
Well serviced and maintained, always warmed up and cooled down.

Best thing I've ever spent money on is my GT-R

Likewise but the software has been updated recently.I think a minority of cars had an issue but its not a common fault.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I don't beleive for a second that the box was "unsalvageable" Dean.
Dealers are incapable or unwilling to try and repair faulty boxes and have created this myth that they are unreliable.
It has been a stupid move for them as far as marketing goes but then its Nissans money thats being wasted on all the warranty work (or lack of it) and they are happy to go along with it.
Has there ever been a case of a sensibly modded car outside the warranty period having the whole transmission replaced ?
Unlikely.
J
They did repair it first time round, adding the circlips, stoppers and all that.
But too many teeth had been knocked off from the common fault we know about, so the car threw the fault again, so a new box was then the only viable option.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If the box on my Evo was to turn to mince inside I would get either a service exchange unit or have it rebuilt, I wouldn't even consider throwing it in a skip and buying a new one from a Mitsubishi dealer.
The same goes for any car, why would a GTR be any different ?
You have clearly been taken in by Nissan "HPC" excuses for their lack of effort/talent but what you are saying to owners and prospective buyers of certain ages of cars is wrong.
Your car could have been and probably was badly treated and overly launched by its previous owner(s) and that's why it failed so early but it is in no way the norm.
I never even launched my car while I had it so never expected any transmission issues but the way launch control has been been extensively used by the media when testing and reviewing the cars many people will want to use the launch control feature as well, some will use it a lot and some will use it too much.
A GTR will end up like any other car if abused, broken.
J

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
59 plate since July 2010 (running Stage 4.25 for 2 years) and not one problem. I did have the Dodson magnets fitted when the transmission oil was changed but that's it. I have never been tempted to launch the car (I'm an Engineer, so mechanically sympathetic I guess). I will get the solenoid clips done at the next service though but that will be all.

Maybe the early boxes that failed had a very hard life; wasn't the early launch software very aggressive on the box?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Like I said mine was also

"for over 2 years now and not a single issue, it's been launched several times also."
"59 plate since July 2010 and not one problem"

Until it went Kaput. Everything is always fine till it goes, might never happen, but for the sake of a few clips and several hundred £ to get them fitted, it's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Mine was also recently ok up till cadwell park the other week when 4th started making a not very nice noise. Still had drive but finished the track day just after lunch.

That had circling mod and everything else too
Luckily I've got another box to go in car but will find out what has failed with that one, my guess is broken or bent 3rd 4th selector fork
I've heard of a few fail on higher torque cars and mines stage 4

As the man above said.........everything is always fine until something breaks, just gotta bite the bullet and fix it
The fun and joys of modded cars lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Exactly my thoughts. All this mine is a 2009 and it has run perfect etc etc etc is premature talk until it goes bang. Everyone's by definition is perfect before it fails. In my opinion I will hold out for a car that's had the box replaced.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Mine was also recently ok up till cadwell park the other week when 4th started making a not very nice noise. Still had drive but finished the track day just after lunch.

That had circling mod and everything else too
Luckily I've got another box to go in car but will find out what has failed with that one, my guess is broken or bent 3rd 4th selector fork
I've heard of a few fail on higher torque cars and mines stage 4

As the man above said.........everything is always fine until something breaks, just gotta bite the bullet and fix it
The fun and joys of modded cars lol

Exactly my thoughts. All this mine is a 2009 and it has run perfect etc etc etc is premature talk until it goes bang. Everyone's by definition is perfect before it fails. In my opinion I will hold out for a car that's had the box replaced.
Finally some sense. Please don't ignore the early boxes just because "yours is fine in 2 years or its been launched 1000 times and never had a hitch"
My teeth have been fine for 28 years, till toothache, now tooth removed, could have been prevented by more care of my teeth, but simply took it for granted because it's been "fine" for 28 years!
Everyday I log on, whether it be a facebook group, personal friend, or even this forum I see a new Transmission Faliure and 99% of the time it's a 09-10 car, that again has been "fine" until now, for the love of god just get the clips, stoppers etc done. They are all the same boxes and when issues occur it's always the same, your 09-10 is no exception and no different!! . There's clearly a problem and any that say there isn't are just being ignorant.

Un-launched cars boxes have gone, un-tracked boxes have gone, launched cars boxes too have gone and tracked boxes, there's no specific way it can be made to happen by driving hard or not. Infact mine went when it was parked!!!! I parked the car up with no issues whatsoever, went in B and Q to get some bits for about 30-40mins come back outside started the GT-R up and whollop it failed the transmission check and I didn't have 1st Reverse etc etc.

Like I said few hundred squid to potentially stop a disaster is something not to be dismissed. I was a lucky boy and had extended warranty with my car, Middlehurst fixed the box with all the clips etc and sent it back to me, all fine for 5 days and it went again! I ended up having a new 2013 box fitted on warranty.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've looked at 10 car that had new bell housing done under warranty last year but when I spoke to litchfield they said it would have only fixed to standard spec so what is involved ref clips etc? I'm no gearbox expert, what sort of money to get the preventative work done?

·
Registered
470 Posts
The bell housing is a separate issue altogether nothing to do with gearbox, it's an annoying rattle but relatively cheap fix but it doesn't necessarily stop the rattle on all cars as I've heard a few still rattling (including mine) even after it's had the mod

What I'm saying is circlips, stoppers and solenoid clips are just a few faults with the box there's other things can break just as easy such as the weak alluminium selector forks which can then in turn take the edge off the gear set on whichever ones at fault (suspect this with mine) all will be told soon.
If this is the case I'm gonna look into getting some billet steel selectors made up as don't want to have the same troubles again.
Some people are just lucky and may never have a problem (this goes for any car) I on the other hand have obviously upset someone in a past life so have a curse bestowed upon me with any performance car I drive:flame:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact price, but I know Litchfield, SVM and Middlehurst all provide the service to prevent faliures.

If someone who recently had them installed recently can chime in would be helpful :)

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/206330-r35-gtr-transmission-upgrades.html

Judging by the above link (AC speedtech prices) looks like £300 + fitting for the front circlip, piston clips and gear stoppers.

Litchfield - Nissan GT-R Gearbox Upgrades - Litchfield Motors

Litchfields do the uprated magnet set up for £147 + vat (above link)

If you do this all at a planned tranny fluid service you'll save yourself an unnecessary £150 on fluids compared with doing it at a random time too.

So all in your looking at regular service cost + approximately £450 + labour (ish) by my reckoning.

I've only had the magnets done as got it done before all this other stuff surfaced. Next tranny service I will get the lot done.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Thanks *****, excellent.

There you go then, not even a four figure sum, and quite far from it, be stupid not to get it done at least on Trans Service. Piece of mind has no value !

21 - 40 of 47 Posts