GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The boys at COBB have been busy and have released a TCM update for us AP NIS006 owners.

This ALPHA release allows 2009/2010 GTRs to flash their transmission (TCM) to use the 2011 model software.

My 2009 EDM has had some frustrating TCM quirks which were..

- Transmission R mode would be disengaged whenever the driver flipped form Manual to Auto, or vice-versa.

- Low speed bunny hopping in 1st gear.

- Low speed gear choice is frustratingly slow. Way too slow to engage 1st gear at low speeds.

- Downshifting through the gears was laboured and never dropped quick as I needed when shifting down to 2nd from higher gears. Always seemed to plonk me into 3rd when 2nd was needed.

- My 3rd gear clutch slippage had meant I'd adjusted my touch points and capacities to +1 to negate this, albeit with the increase in snatchy gear shifting which came with it.

Well I updated my TCM to this modifiied software and I am very, very impressed. I can see why Clarkson thought the gearbox was new on the 2011 models. All of my annoyances are now gone!

- R mode stays, whever I'm auto or manual. Nice.

- Low speed bunny hopping is no more.

- Trans changes to 1st gear at 3mph now rather than 0mph as before. Doesnt sound like a lot, but boy what a difference at junctions.

- Downshifting is a revelation. Snappy quick changes, and if I pull that paddle 3 times, I get 3 gear changes now. Brilliant!

- I've reset all my points to 0 and there is no clutch slippage at all, especially in 3rd gear.

- Even upshifting is silky smooth. No snatchy changes now.

All in all, COBB better get this out as an official update asap. Those of you with NIS006 APs are gonna want this.

In fact you need this.

I shot a quick video of the launch RPMs but I havent launched myself as the roads around me have been way to busy for burning up tarmac!

My big, big thanks to the COBB team. This is what the AP is all about.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hmm, followed Ben's instructions (or so I think). Could see the new LC4 map on my AP but couldn't select it. Can't understand what I did wrong really.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hmm, followed Ben's instructions (or so I think). Could see the new LC4 map on my AP but couldn't select it. Can't understand what I did wrong really.
I had a few problems with mine at first. I had to uninstall the Cobb completely then reinstall and LC4 appeared in the list of TCM maps.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Ah uninstall it totally from the car you mean. Bummer. Going to stock both on ECU and gearbox and then re-installing both gonna take forever. Will have to do that somewhere on a drip charger I think. Thanks for the tip Eddie.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check your second email from Ben.

The modified LC4 ptm file was attached to that. Download it and upload to your AP

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I didn't have to uninstall mine at all. Once I uploaded the map Ben sent all was good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
May also depend to which TCM type you have, this needs to match the LC4 map version. Mine is JF04B and uses KB51B Modified Stock Style LC4 but when I had KB51A at first it was greyed out on the list and couldn't be selected.

May be worth a check.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hi guys,

Going to get around to this tomorrow hopefully, I thought there was no advantage to saving the data when your un-installing as the cobb has OEM data on it anyway, I just skip that bit and it cuts the un-install and re-install considerably.

Also I thought the 2011 LC staged at 3,800rpm???? Not 4,500rpm

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checking some YouTube vids seems that 2012 LC is 4-4.5k with some at 4 and some more towards 4.5k.

Also 2012 launch is R- comfort - R not R-R-R as I had set in my vid.

I'm not that bothered about LC as many are, it's the huge overall improvement in transmission behaviour that floats my boat.

I have a new car sat in my garage now and it's thanks to COBB.

·
Registered
968 Posts
May also depend to which TCM type you have, this needs to match the LC4 map version. Mine is JF04B and uses KB51B Modified Stock Style LC4 but when I had KB51A at first it was greyed out on the list and couldn't be selected.

May be worth a check.
Exactly same for me. Used the mapp Ben sent.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Should be getting my Cobb in a few weeks (about to go in for an optimisation service, then ypipe, cobbs and drop-ins)... will this update make a big difference to a 2010 spec car? Im assuming so, as I similar complaints about the low speed gear selection, etc.

Brilliant work :D

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
986 Posts
Checking some YouTube vids seems that 2012 LC is 4-4.5k with some at 4 and some more towards 4.5k.

Also 2012 launch is R- comfort - R not R-R-R as I had set in my vid.

I'm not that bothered about LC as many are, it's the huge overall improvement in transmission behaviour that floats my boat.

I have a new car sat in my garage now and it's thanks to COBB.
Cool not really bothered with LC myself either was just curious, will be updating for the improvement in refinement too. Might be persuaded to try LC just once though, be a shame to not use the reassurance of the Dodson circlips

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Took her out for 10min drive in the pouring rain with drag slicks on and the first thing I noticed how smooth the 1st to 2nd gearchange was.

I was also impressed how smooth the downchanges are now aswell

Anyway I'm not really intrested in All that stuff,the drag strip is where I will do my testing
:smokin:

1 - 20 of 186 Posts