GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everybody on the forum. I am pretty new so please bear with me on this one as I am sure that it has come up before somewhere on here......

I own a GTR black edition, 2009, with 18k genuine miles on the clock. FSH.

I have an issue with the sound on the sat nav, radio, stereo....

There isn't any sound !!....everything else works fine.

The display states 'audio off' but it will not work no matter what I do.

I have phoned two Nissan GTR dealerships and one has said I need a new 'controller assembly - IT master unit', the other dealer said bring it in and we will have a look but it's probably a new unit at a cost of £6,740...............:eek:

Do any of you guys/ladies know what the issue is ?

Can I get it repaired/fixed ?

If I get a second hand unit will it work in my GTR ?......etc etc.

Are there any experts in the UK that can fix the unit ?

The Nissan GTR dealers just seem to want me to pay out a small fortune to put a new unit into the car.....to be frank they are pretty useless.....give us your money !!!!!

Any advice will be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Tim.:runaway:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
There is a 5 year warranty, but I'm guessing you're just out. Maybe worth our Nissan rep having a word with Nissan to see if they will do anything out of goodwill.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply....Nissan are saying that there is a 5 year warranty BUT only on the NONE sat nav model ?

Models with sat nav have only got a 3 year warranty on this faulty unit ??

My cay is 5 years old in September this year.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Thanks for the reply....Nissan are saying that there is a 5 year warranty BUT only on the NONE sat nav model ?

Models with sat nav have only got a 3 year warranty on this faulty unit ??

My cay is 5 years old in September this year.
Not true I have a September 2009 car and my nhpc told me 5 years when I had it replaced a few years back.

Who exactly gave you that info?

·
Registered
80 Posts
In the US it is both the older and newer systems that are covered and I've seen the fault on both. If you get stuck I can help with a repair or exchange unit but you should push to get this covered

·
Registered
29 Posts
Before you do anything have you checked the fuse for the Amp?
Fuse 8 (20amp) Drivers side footwell (behind kick panel)
There is a diagram on the reverse of the cover.

·
Registered
471 Posts
AV unit

Over the weekend my AV (radio / HD) unit stopped working (MY09 out of 5 year warranty period by 8 weeks).

Ran the hidden menu trick and it shows a failed unit.

Then it suddenly started to work again yesterday half way through a 1 hour drive only to be dead again this morning.

Is this a sign of my unit failing?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Over the weekend my AV (radio / HD) unit stopped working (MY09 out of 5 year warranty period by 8 weeks).

Ran the hidden menu trick and it shows a failed unit.

Then it suddenly started to work again yesterday half way through a 1 hour drive only to be dead again this morning.

Is this a sign of my unit failing?
When mine failed (and the replacement one was broken too) i didn't know about the hidden menu trick so can't say. But it never came back on.

I'm going to start looking for a replacement (i'll assume mine will fail again) which has a digital out (for much better sound), DAB, Google Maps etc and also a display for the temps. I don't care so much for the G Meter, Fuel Efficiency etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
gtr audio problem

hi i had same issue with mine 59 reg it got fixed under goodwill with a £120 contribution by myself,had to complain to nissan uk as my dealer wanted to charge me over £3000,benfield nissan newcastle,got a years warranty with it,nissan uk customer service number is 01923 899334 hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got stiffed by this problem. A mildly annoying occasional crackling developed in a back speaker about 9 months or so ago, which I didn't do anything about until taking it to Litchfield, who have been looking after the car for me, for it's regular service. They didn't have time to fix it for me then but said that they'd do it on the next service as they'd need the car for longer. In between though, the radio first started occasionally failing to respond, and then completely failed. I duly then took to it Litchfield who told me that they couldn't fix it as it wasn't covered by their warranty that I had with them, and which I had bought dutifully each year since the end of Nissan's warranty on the understanding that it covered all the parts that the Nissan extended warranty covered ("All major parts"....?!). Not to worry, I was told, Nissan had made the radio subject to an extended warranty because it was known to be faulty, so I should take it to them. This was then confirmed by Nissan, who politely but firmly pointed out to me that their extended warranty was only up to five years, a time frame that my own car had passed through just a few months previously. Gah! However, they said that they'd been offering assistance to those outside the warranty none the less as goodwill, but couldn't cover the cost of a replacement unit for me because I'd been using Litchfield to service the car and not themselves. Bugger.

New unit: £8k. Reconditioned unit, which I bet is just some other poor git's failed unit with the relevant faulty £2 circuit board changed: £702. Having just spent £4k servicing and mending some body work on the car, I didn't have much tolerance for either, but certainly not the former!

A lesson for all those considering purchasing a MY09 car, considering using Litchfield (or anyone else other than Nissan themselves, I suppose) to service the car, or purchasing the Litchfield warranty, which apparently only covers things that don't go wrong. I also think that Nissan have behaved appallingly here; the unit is know to be faulty, and any service will merely check that it is functioning, so why does it matter who does the service in respect of this part?! Perhaps they are trying to squeeze out Litchfield and other independents, but a simple response to that would be to cover the part in the >=£1,200/year warranty! It's all a bit disgraceful really.

I love my car, but damn, she's almost as expensive as my ex-wife...

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Sorry to read that. I'll be in the same situation soon too no doubt having had 2 failures within 5 years and now just over it. But it's nothing personal if that helps.

R35audio was working on a solution. Maybe worth dropping him a line.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
radio

I sold my car I was fed up with all the hassle of trying too sort it. Nissan customer services are a waste of space.Miss the car but not all the hassle with owning one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What do you have now bigtim? Interested in alternatives that have similar awesomeness with less stress. I don't mind a big upfront cost so much, but these continued massive running and maintenance costs are a nightmare...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
radio

I'm in an X5 at the moment.I might get something else in the spring.Like the look of the new bmw Alpina 4 series.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts