GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here as hit the 2 ton mark in their GTR ? The reason I ask is because I genuinely interested to know what power you need to do this, tires, aerodynamic's, gearing etc When preparing your car whose car was a shining example for you ? Also did you compete at TOTB or was this on a private road ?

In your opinion what does it take to build a 200mph GTR whether it be an R32, 33 or 34 !

·
R35 Section manager
11,263 Posts
I did (confiemd by a GPS device at 207.6mph) at Bruntingthorp several years ago

Are you running around 700bhp John?

I think it could be done on 600bhp or less if there was enough room to open her up:D

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
600bhp shouldnt be a problem as mine has shown 197mph with 509bhp then what ever the speedo error difference is .

i'll get mine on gps one day so i can realy see the truth lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you mind filling me in on the spec of your cars lads ?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Redline next month are going to see in they can hit 210mph in Rocket Ronnies R33 GTR.

The car has allready done 207mph afaik.In full road trim too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ Irish GTR : That'll be a savage feature however Mr Rocket ain't shy on bobs :) Reason I'm asking is I want to buy a GTR within my budget that is close enough if not able to reach that speed already...

·
Registered
507 Posts
@ Irish GTR : That'll be a savage feature however Mr Rocket ain't shy on bobs :) Reason I'm asking is I want to buy a GTR within my budget that is close enough if not able to reach that speed already...
If you dont mind me asking, whats your budget. PM me if you like. I may know of one for sale.:)

·
2,671 Posts
R32 GTR
hks 2530's
apexi power fc
800cc os giken injectors
FSE fuel pressure regulator
greddy forged pistons
trust/greddy airnex induction kit
profec spec b boost controler
hks actuators
standard cams
standard radiator
standard intercooler
standard afm's
excedy twin plate clutch with light weight flywheel
1.4 bar boost

509bhp - 400lbft at the flywheel

mine is quite a low spec compared to many on here though

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its given me an idea though and thats what I'm after, very grateful, thank you !

Can you describe how the car and you reacted at that speed ?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
very carefully i imagine! no sharp movements!

i will give it a proper run one day, have seen about 185 to 190 gauging where the speedo needle goes to after the 180 mark.

will take the tom tom out with me one day, the car still pulls at that speed too so time will tell!

im running about 550hp but havent been dynoed yet.

but the speedos arent exactly efficient at that speed, some people have seen big variances in true speed and indicated. it all depends on the wheel and tyre combo as well. rolling radius is key

·
2,671 Posts
at those speeds i found it quite stable and planted especially as the steering gets stiffer when you start to get into high speeds so it takes away any twitchyness .

GTR's handle high speed with confidence as long as you've got the power to match.

thats my opinion of mine any way :)

put it this way , my ex girlfriend chatted away like nothing was happening at high speed lol

·
Registered
220 Posts
What's the fascination with the 200mph mark anyway? - Even if you find a car that can do it how oftern do you think you'll be able to run it up to that - and for what!?

·
2,671 Posts
What's the fascination with the 200mph mark anyway? - Even if you find a car that can do it how oftern do you think you'll be able to run it up to that - and for what!?
its called achieving a goal and depending on what power you have then if you have more than enough then you can get up to 200 mph quite often

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I thought the gearing wouldn't allow much over 200mph?

What's a GTST, with 500BHP, with the GTR A/LSD setup, with 18" alloys fitted rated to top speed then?

Curious as I hit my 7,800 RPM limiter in 5th a few years back.....

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Perhaps surprisingly, I'm rather disinterested in top speed runs. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the one time I truly tried, I melted a piston. But speed above 160-170mph is good for the pub and that's about it, unless it is truly just for the experience of driving that fast. Even in fairly powerful cars, acceleration becomes painfully slow past that point.

IIRC the R32 requires rehearing or a 9000+rpm redline to hit 200mph...stress I'd rather not put my car through, but that's just me. I've done about 170mph but that was in fairly normal driving situations and even that was a bit excessive for the giveN situation (humiliating a Maserati).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts