GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

I just picked up my 4.25 R35 yesterday and I'm wondering if it is good for 200MPH? Has anyone tried to reach this milestone on track or on the Autobahn? If it's not, what level of modification would be required?

I'm curious, since I know 200 was breached some time ago by heavily modified R34s, and maybe even before?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
To reach 200mph, the car needs to have the rev limit raised by (I think) 250rpm or else the car will hit the limiter at 197mph.

Would a stock GTR that has had this change done (not really stock by then but we can ignore the semantics) be able to reach 200mph? Possibly, given ideal circumstances ...

In reality it is very hard to achieve in anything short of 900BHP unless you have a very clear, long and straight piece of road. Autobahns are actually very hard to achieve this (195 mph - GPS verified so actually over 200mph on the clock) is the fastest I have achieved on the road (not been to a runway long enough) and autobahns are often very hard to achieve it as they are often two-lane (far from ideal), are rarely empty and have bends on them (at 180mph, a shallow bend feels quite sharp). A dusk / dawn run is a consideration but traffic often prevents this. A night time run may be better for traffic but not being able to see where the road goes while doing a double-ton is far from wise!

So, in short, you probably need a lot of power and/or a very long, straight and clear piece of tarmac!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's very informative!

I'm also wondering about the back straight of the Nordschleife, the Döttinger Höhe, but it's probably not long enough.

Just out of interest, how does one raise the rev limiter? And does this do any harm to the car? I understand that hitting (or spending considerable time on) the limiter is not in general a good thing, since it is there to protect the engine.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Nope it's not (not in a 4.25 anyway - it's also partly uphill)! Would have to be done on a track day as well as during a TF you don't drive anywhere near the full straight.

Should be possible from a simple tweak using EcuTek or Cobb (assume you'll have one or other of those on a 4.25; unlikely that you're running an a/m ECU, but if you are, same deal; tweak to the map).

Raising the rev limiter isn't a huge deal unless you plan on bouncing off the rev limiter often ... If you only used it to try to get to 200 mph in 6th gear you'd likely never even use that extra. Probably worth shifting about 6200 rpm if on normal turbos as they run out of puff so the additional 250 rpms would not be affected if you do that.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I know of someone who had the speedo reading 206mph :eek:
Which was probably a lot less than that, but they read slightly high throughout the speed range.

To do 30mph, my clock reads around 35mph. Stock size tyres too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Qashqai's speedo also exaggerates by around 10%. Is there any way to recalibrate the speedo on the GT-R? On my bikes I have a device called a SpeedoHealer to do this.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
My Qashqai's speedo also exaggerates by around 10%. Is there any way to recalibrate the speedo on the GT-R? On my bikes I have a device called a SpeedoHealer to do this.
By law speedos have to over read, tyre sizes can effect either way, mine was 2mph out at 194 but got this on a road in serbia known as the MMM23

IMG_3993.JPG

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I know of someone who had the speedo reading 206mph :eek:
Which was probably a lot less than that, but they read slightly high throughout the speed range.

To do 30mph, my clock reads around 35mph. Stock size tyres too.
So do I, maybe the same guy! Crazy speed and it was on a public road.

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts
200 in a 4.25 is theoretically possible in a 4.25 but tricky and takes a while.

I've bumped power a bit since and it will monster it. I'm looking forward to popping my 200mph cherry at the GTRDC runway day in a week or two.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Not sure how relevant this is, but;

Many years ago I took my R34 GTR to 199mph on GPS on the autobahn, with five big blokes in the car, whilst on a road-trip to watch the 24 Hrs at the 'ring with the Falken R34s. That car dynoed 680bhp at the crank.

I took my stock R35 GTR easily to about 185mph several times, but never found the road conditions to go faster. it certainly had more in it.

If you have the gearing and power, the main issue is about having enough distance. When you are already travelling at near 200mph you are covering a lot of ground as the speedo creeps up the final 10-15mph. My old Ruf/Porsche would reach 200mph in about 1.5 miles from a standstill, but needed another 1.5 miles to add the next 15-20mph.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Not sure how relevant this is, but;

Many years ago I took my R34 GTR to 199mph on GPS on the autobahn, with five big blokes in the car, whilst on a road-trip to watch the 24 Hrs at the 'ring with the Falken R34s. That car dynoed 680bhp at the crank.

I took my stock R35 GTR easily to about 185mph several times, but never found the road conditions to go faster. it certainly had more in it.

If you have the gearing and power, the main issue is about having enough distance. When you are already travelling at near 200mph you are covering a lot of ground as the speedo creeps up the final 10-15mph. My old Ruf/Porsche would reach 200mph in about 1.5 miles from a standstill, but needed another 1.5 miles to add the next 15-20mph.
And theres the AMS car hitting 255mph in 1/2 mile :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
This thread caught my curiosity, just calculated with the overdrive 6th in my Dodson gearset I have a 282 mph potential....wonder if 1200bhp and 8100rpm will get me anywhere near.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts