GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: Ignore the typo in the subject - I meant 2010 model :)

Who knows how far the car will have progressed by 2012?

So what is the difference between 2009 and 2010 models?

I am thinking I would not be satisfied with a previous spec so near to the new one even though the price goes up.

Colour choice is the hardest part. I have a silver car right now and it looks somewhat bland in the bright sunlight because it reflects the light, so I am thinking Gun Metallic Premium Edition- not sure I like the "boy racer'ish" black seats with red trim of the Black Edition - with respect to those who have it.

Thanks.

Adrian.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I am thinking I would not be satisfied with a previous spec so near to the new one even though the price goes up.Thanks.

Adrian.
I'd just scrutinize the changes

if they are meaningful to the performance of the car e.g. cooling , then go for it, if you must

Otherwise I suspect the Mk 1 GT-R will be as good as any derivatives

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'd just scrutinize the changes

if they are meaningful to the performance of the car e.g. cooling , then go for it, if you must

Otherwise I suspect the Mk 1 GT-R will be as good as any derivatives
Well all I have seen after further research is slightly higher performance and stiffer suspension. If it doesn't invalidate the warranty I will get the HPC to fit a Y Pipe as well.

Then there is depreciation. Learned that lesson years ago. As soon as a new model is launched the previous loses value quicker - although not so much in the case of the R35 I suspect.

Years ago I bought a new Sierra Cosworth - 2 wheel drive version - which went straight to Turbo Technics for a bigger Garret Turbo, more boost, selectable boost, re-balanced drive train and so on, then 6 weeks later they launched the 4 wheel drive model. That was the most money I ever lost on a new car through value drop, closely followed by my Land Cruiser Amazon VX which shed £10K in short order.

BTW - what is "DMG" since you have one? The R35 brochure doesn't mention it although plenty here do -especially in the colour poll thread.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Well all I have seen after further research is slightly higher performance and stiffer suspension. If it doesn't invalidate the warranty I will get the HPC to fit a Y Pipe as well.

Then there is depreciation. Learned that lesson years ago. As soon as a new model is launched the previous loses value quicker - although not so much in the case of the R35 I suspect.

Years ago I bought a new Sierra Cosworth - 2 wheel drive version - which went straight to Turbo Technics for a bigger Garret Turbo, more boost, selectable boost, re-balanced drive train and so on, then 6 weeks later they launched the 4 wheel drive model. That was the most money I ever lost on a new car through value drop, closely followed by my Land Cruiser Amazon VX which shed £10K in short order.

BTW - what is "DMG" since you have one? The R35 brochure doesn't mention it although plenty here do -especially in the colour poll thread.

Following above logic, buying a new car is totally pointless as every year there will be minor changes so you can wait for the GTR36 and there will happen exactly the same.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Following above logic, buying a new car is totally pointless as every year there will be minor changes so you can wait for the GTR36 and there will happen exactly the same.
I totally agree actually. It is like buying a new PC.

But in this case I know the 2010 is imminent.

That said I want one ASAP so quite happy with 2009 model.

·
Registered
794 Posts
DMG stands for Dark Metallic Grey. This was the JDM name for Gun Metallic.

I bought a Gun Metallic Premium Edition like you are considering. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DMG stands for Dark Metallic Grey. This was the JDM name for Gun Metallic.

I bought a Gun Metallic Premium Edition like you are considering. I'm very happy with it.
Yes I since figured it out :)

That is the one I am getting. I have always lked Silver - Blue favourite colour - but Ultimate seems to be a very reflective silver which in my experience with other cars doesn't really do it justice. My Land Cruiser is Silver Pearl which looks great in dull weather but non-descript in bright weather.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi Adrian

I have UMS which you now have to pay a premium for. I was a bit unsure at first as my last 2 cars (both skylines) were both silver, but I am glad I got it. I figured that as Nissan use the silver in most of their marketing they must have decided it shows the car off to its best. Funnily enough in the metal I don't think it looks like the brochure as it has a blueish tinge to it. I had a guy detailing the car and he had done a few different colours and reckoned mine looked the best and the quality of the paint finish was better than other colours.
I got the grey leather interior which I think really complements the car generally (it lightens the interior up) and the UMS exterior.
I have since seen all the other colours at Middlehursts and have to say that with hindsight I would not change my choice which I made without seeing it in the metal.

Oh and by the way the car doesn't drive to badly either!

Neil

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Adrian

I have UMS which you now have to pay a premium for. I was a bit unsure at first as my last 2 cars (both skylines) were both silver, but I am glad I got it. I figured that as Nissan use the silver in most of their marketing they must have decided it shows the car off to its best. Funnily enough in the metal I don't think it looks like the brochure as it has a blueish tinge to it. I had a guy detailing the car and he had done a few different colours and reckoned mine looked the best and the quality of the paint finish was better than other colours.
I got the grey leather interior which I think really complements the car generally (it lightens the interior up) and the UMS exterior.
I have since seen all the other colours at Middlehursts and have to say that with hindsight I would not change my choice which I made without seeing it in the metal.

Oh and by the way the car doesn't drive to badly either!

Neil
Thanks Neil.

Decisions, decisions :) Well a nice one to make anyway.

I just knew someone would come a long liking USM.

Actually I really like Silver cars. My main observation is they are very light sensitive as to how they appear. My Land Cruiser Amazon is Silver Pearl and looks great in some light conditions, and really bland in others leaving me wishing I had gone for a different colour.

I have been investigating wrapping and concluded that no matter what colour I get I can always wrap it in something else of my choice.

My favourite colour has always been deep metallic blue so I intend to get a pictire of an R35 and do some PhotoShop work on it.

I like the idea of wrapping because apart from the fact it lookes better than paint, it protects the real paint and much more durable.

And yes - I know the car goes well whatever the colour :) Got an excellent insurance quote so I am nearly ready to push the button and join the R35 ranks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts