GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Yes.

Refinement much improved.

Prefer 2011 suspension, but I'd change it for Litchfield set up anyway.

Chassis for chassis the 2017 is more rigid, better screwed together and sound deadened. The drivertrain is also quieter, though i think that's programming rather than mechanical.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm only worried about the way it drives. not bothered about gearbox noises, looks, refinement. Only care about the performance.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm only worried about the way it drives. not bothered about gearbox noises, looks, refinement. Only care about the performance.
I own a MY11 DBA with a few goodies (4.25, intercooler, litchfield suspension and Alcons). The MY17 felt less angry and I guess more German, not for me I'm afraid.

Then you've got the paddles that move with the wheels which ended it right there for me anyway.

If I needed my GTR to also be a daily then I probably would look at it but it's lost most of it's nuances.

·
Registered
78 Posts
No idea how it compares with a Litchfield 4.25.

I have a MY17 standard car (no mods) and it is absolutely amazing.

I would prefer the stick shift paddles not to be attached to the steering wheel for daily driving, but on track it makes little difference as I don't turn it enough to lose access to the paddles...

I am used to the stick shift paddles now so not bother anymore...

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
You would probably prefer the MY11 then.

MY17 is softer and will understeer more, and has the crazy rotating paddles as mentioned above. Also has ASE, which is exhaust noise played loudly through the speakers, but can be turned off if you know how. Also has a nasty steering wheel compared to pre 17 models. It's basically a more refined cruiser.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
You would probably prefer the MY11 then.

MY17 is softer and will understeer more, and has the crazy rotating paddles as mentioned above. Also has ASE, which is exhaust noise played loudly through the speakers, but can be turned off if you know how. Also has a nasty steering wheel compared to pre 17 models. It's basically a more refined cruiser.
The steering wheel is actually nicer than pre 17 models. I must admit that I thought it was the worst thing about the interior changes but having now got one I certainly wouldn't change back to the old style.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
It's the same car ffs just evolved and better put together with a newer interior.

Anything you don't like handling wise can be changed exactly as you would the older car.

All you need to ask is if you prefer the starting point.

It has 40bhp more than a 2011. If you are prepared to say you'll mod to make up the difference then you can equally mod the 2017 to account for any inferiority - which as i said is stock suspension.

That's irrelevant as both standard set ups can be drastically improved upon.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Humans have evolved to be fatter and better put together.

Evolution isn't always a good thing, in this instance it's just market forces have dictated the GTR be a more subdued beast for a wider audience appeal.

Previously I discounted a 911 Turbo because it was the consummate everyday supercar, even if the GTR cost the same as the 911TT I would have bought one because it was less refined and more race car like with the noises etc. Now it just seems less GTR like but more like what I imagine a 4wd M5 to be like.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Plus, why waste money on suspension, just buy the MY11. Not to mention depreciation will be double on the MY17.

Slightly off topic, I wondered why stock Dunlops weren't lasting as long, turns out after 2014 they reduced the tread depth to 5.6mm, cheeky that!

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Totally agree, why waste money on a shiny new car and superior suspension when you can have a six year old second hand car with a tired interior just because its standard suspension is preferable to some people.

Depreciation is a separate question, which the OP didn't ask about.

The only downside of the new car is the stock suspension, assuming you are ok with the price etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts