GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m a GTR owner in Australia, and have been having an issue with my car ongoing for about a year now. I have 70,000 kms on it and since around 55,000kms, I’ve been experiencing a grinding/churning noise when I put into reverse and proceed to move backwards. Its more common when the car is cold (ie first started), but consistently does it throughout everyday drives, moreso when reversing back up an incline (strain/load on the car)
I have taken it to various mechanics including Nissan on the Gold Coast & nobody can seem to diagnose the problem.

Car drives fine apart from that, and is a very good example of a clean & well maintained GTR, It’s just very annoying that I cannot get the issue diagnosed & fixed.
Anybody on here able to shed some light or experienced issues with this before? Please only comment if you are familiar with this make/model, I’ve had quite a lot of guys speculate with never even have driven one before. Thanks in advance for your input.
Shane

·
Vendor
6,230 Posts
Does it make the noise when your reversing in a straight line or when you turn left or rite, if its OK in a straight line when reversing and only making the noise when you turn left or rite then that's normal. The rear locking differential is very notchy especially if you have run flats on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Takamo,

It does it in a straight line, but Even more predominant when turning the wheel I feel. I’ve had a 2009 GTR as well, and it never did it, nor did the current one I’m speaking about up until a year ago. I know what you are saying, it can be clunky at the best of times, but the noise that is now current, I feel there is something definitely wrong.
worst thing is, a few mechanics (inclu Nissan said it most likely are the bearings in the bell housing unit worn, so I replaced the whole bell housing unit with a new one last week (bearings included) and wentfor test drive afterwards, and STILL the problem persists. $4,000 spent and problem still there!

·
Vendor
6,230 Posts
Has it had the gearbox and diff oil changes done on time and correct oils, if its worse when cold then sounds like a oil issue either wrong /contaminated oil or not enough.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Nissan will not do anything to the gearbox other than replace it for a brand new one.
You can’t buy parts for them through Nissan either.
I would not continue to use the car if it has an issue, it might be repairable now but keep using it might cause damage beyond repair.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi again you don`t mention if toggling the "save" mode switch downwards and holding until it starts blinking makes a difference ? It would be interesting to know if the car was better in only RWD or just the same?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again you don`t mention if toggling the "save" mode switch downwards and holding until it starts blinking makes a difference ? It would be interesting to know if the car was better in only RWD or just the same?
To be honest I didn’t realise this was an option. I will try and get back to you thank you

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK give it a try. The car stays in RWD mode up until about 8mph and disconnects automatically so you don`t need to think about that. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts