GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I am struggling to understand what you are telling us.

In the thread there are various mentions of TCM, ECM, BCM and ROM.

I would love to have larger memory (possibly ROM) in the gearbox control module I assume this would be attached or installed in the TCM (Transmission control module) that it will accept the larger TCM files the later year cars use.

Please can you advise if this is the module you are describing, also where you got it from.

There is also reference to an ECM (engine control module) which is not connected with the gearbox, nor is the BCM (body control module).

Apologies if I am being thick, but would love to understand what you are advising.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Okay, here goes ...

My old CBA has a brand new Engine Control Module (ECM), which was sold back in the day as the Nismo Club Sport package. It was about £11k, and you got different seats and an exhaust and a Nismo ECM/ and possibly the Transmission Control Module (TCM) too. Not much for £11k, in other words.

Last year, I noticed Middlehurst selling new Nismo Club Sport ECM's on eBay. So I bought one. Cos it was brand new, virginal, it married itself to the car, and I didn't need to use Consult 3. The marrying procedure is out there on the web, and in this thread. In the box was the Nismo ECM, and two replacement boost sensors, and some lovely stickers.

The old CBA cars have a TCM with 1MB of flash storage. It's in the H8S micro controller. Later cars, DBA and beyond, have a TCM with 1.5MB of flash, because they use an H8S with more internal flash memory. Later TCM control firmware and tables, like from the Nismo, can't be programmed in an old TCM, coz it won't fit.

So, I thoughts, what happens if you buy a later model TCM, off of eBay, plug it up, do a clutch relearn, and see. If it works, I'll get the Nismo firmware and program it up.

Got the TCM off eBay, MY16 car, plugged it up, clutch relearn, and surprise surprise surprise, it works, and to boot it has the 89S0BEA Nismo TCM firmware on it already. And an EcuTek license.

So my old clunker has the newest Nismo TCM. Bonus.

I think that covers it. The ECM was £180, and the TCM was £300. The seats are just seats, and the zorst was hand made by Russ Fellows. Much less than £11k.

I'm not suggesting it's the way to go, it's just what I'm doing. :)

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ooo, the Body Control Module has to make friends with the ECM, or the car won't work at all. No so for the TCM. Even though Jeremy Clarkson said something about the trans being coupled with the engine, and won't work with any other. That was bollocks JC!
Nissan themselves say that the "IP" data must be removed from the original TCM, so it can be programmed into the replacement TCM. Not so. Ian Litchfield told me that that was also bollocks, and now I've proved it to myself.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
So honestly, how does the gearbox feel with the later tcm rom?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It’s a little smoother, but my car isn’t fuelling correctly for reasons best known to itself. I haven’t tried a launch yet. I’ve gotta install tsb clips and change the filters and fluid before I do that. Not sure if the paddles will do the newer things either. Like the double down shift and changing from auto to manual and back by pulling both paddles together. I’m still playing with it :smokin:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Guess who has got hold of an MY17 TCM ECU....

If my box takes a dump I'm coming to find you....

:chuckle:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Guess who has got hold of an MY17 TCM ECU....

If my box takes a dump I'm coming to find you....

:chuckle:
Given it'd be by public transport and on foot, I'd wait a while first

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Damn! I didn’t think of that. And I’d be in the GT-R anyways, so I think I could just about stay one step ahead of you. But having said that, you would be pretty cross :mad:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
It***8217;ll arrive today but I won***8217;t get a mo until the weekend.

I also need an updated tcm rom file to make use of the larger memory. Litchos are sending that over.

My plan was to remove the license off my current tcm first then flash the new one afterwards. I***8217;m hoping that means I won***8217;t need another license for the new tcm.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Yup that is correct. Plan is fit the thing and see if it***8217;ll work as apparently these later tcm ecus can be temperamental with older cars.

If all good then I***8217;ll pay another license

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
No idea tbh. It***8217;s just what Dan at Litchfields told me so that must be their experience. We will soon see

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Don’t remember which one Dan is, but one of em tried to tell me my power steering rack was ****ed. 30k miles on the clock at the time. Needless to say, it wasn’t, it isn’t, and he’s a ****

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Dan is their Technical Manager and main mapper. Quiet lad and always been very helpful with regards my build.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ah, wait a minute. I think I might have a solution to the temperamental thing. Maybe Nissan are telling the truth after all about the “IP Data”.

If you look through the IP database, there are entire batches of hundreds of cars, at a time, which have the same IP data set. Maybe, when you get lucky, that’s because the data was the same or very similar anyway. When you get a temperamental one, it’s because the data is too different to the set the box should have. Food for thought.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts