GTR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going to be more reliable for a daily driver the neo rb25 or rb26 ? Only planning on doing intake, exhaust and bov. Live in northern alberta canada. Winters about -20-40°C. Car it will be in is an awd manual stagea.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
It is not a question of RB25/26 for reliability but what you can buy because Nissan only made two manual Stageas with RB engines.

RS Four S - 1998 onwards . These are series two so have the neo engine and manual box or the Autech series one 260RS which are full GTR spec .
They did make a series 3 axis but that isnt RB powered .

It sounds like the series two S is the best bet for you . They will cost far more money than the autos or tiptronics stageas but they are much less than the autechs and are less likely to have been thrashed. RB reliability isnt about the engine difference but maintainance . Plus the S is a series two so has a much nicer interior and a nice bodykit. It is also specced much better apart from the Autech.

One problem for you is the autech is lower and has a big body kit -it probably isnt suited to driving when you have snow and I assume at those temperatures you do.

Your only other option is a Stagea that has been converted to manual. Nothing wrong with them as long it has been done right. The problem is you probably wont find one in canada and I would not buy one without seeing it in the flesh because they are not all done as nicely as Nissan did them. You should also have it looked over in detail by someone who knows what to look for.
I would personally only buy a converted car if it had an RB26 motor (or a 28 :chuckle: ) If done really well I would say they are the best car (but then I am biased as I have one)

So get a series two RS Four S as long as you dont want to run much over 400bhp.

And I have driven and owned quite a few of each

·
Registered
591 Posts
It is not a question of RB25/26 for reliability but what you can buy because Nissan only made two manual Stageas with RB engines.

RS Four S - 1998 onwards . These are series two so have the neo engine and manual box or the Autech series one 260RS which are full GTR spec .
They did make a series 3 axis but that isnt RB powered .

It sounds like the series two S is the best bet for you . They will cost far more money than the autos or tiptronics stageas but they are much less than the autechs and are less likely to have been thrashed. RB reliability isnt about the engine difference but maintainance . Plus the S is a series two so has a much nicer interior and a nice bodykit. It is also specced much better apart from the Autech.

One problem for you is the autech is lower and has a big body kit -it probably isnt suited to driving when you have snow and I assume at those temperatures you do.

Your only other option is a Stagea that has been converted to manual. Nothing wrong with them as long it has been done right. The problem is you probably wont find one in canada and I would not buy one without seeing it in the flesh because they are not all done as nicely as Nissan did them. You should also have it looked over in detail by someone who knows what to look for.
I would personally only buy a converted car if it had an RB26 motor (or a 28 :chuckle: ) If done really well I would say they are the best car (but then I am biased as I have one)

So get a series two RS Four S as long as you dont want to run much over 400bhp.

And I have driven and owned quite a few of each
Isn't the OP asking which engine would be better to swap into the stagea he already owns? That's how I read it anyway!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No looking to import a stagea. Clearance not a major issue since it will be going on coilovers. Theres the "rs four s" and the "rs four s type B" cant find info on the difference between the 2. Then of course the autech. Im considering the autech since it come with extra goodies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Extra goodies include: rear mechanical lsd, special exhaust, better suspension, special rear stabilizer, Brembo brakes, front strut tower bar,Body strengthening, Front crossbar, Triple crossbar,
BBS made forged aluminum wheels, Special front bumper, Super fine hard paint, Rear under protector,
MOMO sport steering wheel, Special seat trim, Leather shift knob, Leather parking brake lever, GTR style meters (front torque, oil pressure and temperature)

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Listing the spec sheet isnt the way to buy a stagea or tell the difference . It is how they drive and what you will use the car for.
And that list is the difference between a n autech and a series one stagea .The S has quite a lot of those anyway and a more advanced HICAS ( if you want to quote specs) . Besides most autechs and a lot of RS Four S's have been modded anyway.

The two are completely different cars and sell for completely different prices .Unless you have a large budget get an s. It is a daily drive car far more than the autech

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just listing the extra things the autech has. Would be easier to decide on if I knew the reliability of each engine. I hear of oil problems with both the 25 and 26 but no one really says the rate of failures for each if left stock or near to stock.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
I was just listing the extra things the autech has. Would be easier to decide on if I knew the reliability of each engine. I hear of oil problems with both the 25 and 26 but no one really says the rate of failures for each if left stock or near to stock.
Given that the engines are very similiar you will find little between the two engines if they are the same otherwise. You'd be better thinking of including other factors into the mix.

For example if you have £10k to spend (random figure for this example) and the two cars are £5k and £10k respectively ('normal' and Autech). You can choose to buy the normal car and have the engine refreshed and still be in pocket compared to the Autech.

As a side point have you looked at the M35 Stagea. You might find parts easier given that the engines are (I think) used in North America in Nissans/Infiniti.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Too soon to import the m35 (not 15 years old yet as per my provinces law). Plan on leaving engine mostly stock. And waiting to hear back from importer on price for the autech.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts